a little bit of advise please

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by bobs802, Oct 2, 2021.

1. bobs802

bobs802 New Member

hi i am looking to ride a automatic 50cc or 125 cc bike again but i need some alterations to be confident in using the controls, I had a stroke 3 years ago that has left my left hand not able to operate the indicator switch ....

1. would this be difficult/ impossible to mount on the right instead??

2. could the right hand mounted brake lever be used to operate the back brake? is it just a swap of cable needed?

i am fully able to grip with my left and i can move my fingers to operate the brake but i would feel better if the back break was the right level

thank you for any assistance with my questions

bob

2. mark s21

mark s21 New Member

I feel for you :( Most mods today are possible though :)

3. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Lots to consider here..........

Really depends on which scoot you're looking at. Most these days have the lights come on as soon as the engine starts, so lack of a light switch on the right hand cluster. However it might be possible to use that wasted space to retro fit an indicator switch, depending on the inside of the cluster and whether there is anywhere to fix the switch.
    Most new scooters these days have linked front and rear brakes, however the bias on the front brake (right hand lever) is quite high.
    For example, if you look at the front brake caliper and can see it has three 'pots' (pistons), the upper and lower pots only operate on the front brake; When you use the rear brake lever, it obviously works the rear caliper but also operates the middle pot on the front caliper, hence the linked brakes.
    You would need a scoot with both front and rear disc brakes, and they must have the same size master cylinder each side, left and right.
    Then you can simply swap the hydraulic hoses over, and bleed the brakes again. Then you'd have brakes the opposite way round; rear brake on the right hand lever and front brake on the left hand lever.

But it all is very dependant on which scooter you buy........