a hole in the exhaust pipe of an LX50 Vespa 2S

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by mipak, Sep 25, 2017.

1. mipak

mipak New Member

24-9-2017

Hi ...

I bought my moped from new in May 2009 and so far, it only has about 4,500 kilometers on the clock ... I live on an island, thus the low mileage. With the exception of the rear tyre and a new battery both in 2015, there have been no other replacement parts.

A short while ago, a small hole appeared in a small pipe projecting outward from the exhaust ... the increased exhaust noise is slight. This pipe is no more than about 2 inches long and about ½ an inch in diameter. One end is open where it joins the main larger diameter exhaust and the other end is closed so in effect, this tiny pipe has an input but no output.

What I'd like to do is to remove this pipe and make a proper seal around the main exhaust pipe to secure the newly-made hole.

Seems to me that this small pipe is totally surplus to requirements and doesn't do anything unless some kind person who uses this forum and knows Vespers better than I do.

Incidentially, the diameter of the hole in the small pipe is no more than half the size of a British 5 penny piece.

Any and all suggestions to this exhaust problem will be more than welcome.

My thanks in advance ... Michael.

Attached Files:

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  2. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Instant fix.;)
    cut it off entirely,smooth out any rough edges -then put a bit of lead or pliable metal over it/with a jubilee clip.:).

3. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Its part of the restrictor.

4. mipak

mipak New Member

hi ...
    many thanks ... as access to this small pipe is a little difficult, i'll unscrew the exhaust from the bike then i'll be able to cut the small pipe off a lot more neatly & easily. I've already got a new gasket (+ a spare) for use between the cylinder and silencer and hopefully the 4 silencer securing bolts won't be too rusted to undo.
    thanks again for your help.

5. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Soak your bolts o/night.;).

6. mipak

mipak New Member

hello mark ... thank you for that tip ... that was my plan ... thin oil or wd40 work wonders ... i do that with all screws, bolts & nuts, washers too etc. and it's only if anything is really beyond help that i through it away.
    thanks again mark and take care ... michael.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.