A few quid to spend but what mod?

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by JerseyJim, Jul 16, 2011.

1. JerseyJim

JerseyJim Member

Rides:
    '99 Zip RST
    seen a couple of front ends kicking round on ebay, from £40 up to £120...! i like the £40 ones myself, neither of them had a shock so that would be upgraded as a matter of course... Thanks again for the replies, an MC ill wait to hear from you, thanks :D

2. Jonnymarrw00t

Jonnymarrw00t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    This kid was a ass, He knew nothing about his bike. Made me feel ashamed to see such a nice bike belong to a ass hole. Haha.

3. JerseyJim

JerseyJim Member

Rides:
    '99 Zip RST
    Hey all, sorry to bump an old thread but its relevant...

Fitted a 17.5 mm DSN carb today, as well as a straight manifold from Pedstop. Ill be honest, its not the noticeable gain in performance that i was expecting, smoother and less hesitant getting to 35mph than it has been, but still not as fast as i was expecting and it still only pulls through to 48ish as it would do when it was running the 13mm carb...?? Im not expecting miracles but something tangible would be nice...

So what now then?

Btw I am already saving for the S6 Pro rep pipe and Polini Corsa kit, pipe first kit after...

4. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Pro rep is a bad pipe for polini corsa my friend. My mate has a polini corsa and a s6 pro and it goes like stink. You wont notice much till you bolt other things on, carb alone doesn't do much.

5. JerseyJim

JerseyJim Member

Rides:
    '99 Zip RST
    ok thanks for that, i thought id be a cheapskate and save the £30 for other things but i happy to take your recommendation on board ;)

6. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Haha also with a corsa you should get your cases flowed. As the transfer ports are rather bigger. If i'm right the corsa has pretty much the same map as a evo. (No bridged exhaust port), If you can't be assed with that get a sport with pro rep and it will still be a good bike :). I wouldn't run standard crank on a corsa either lol.

7. JerseyJim

JerseyJim Member

Rides:
    '99 Zip RST
    Im trying to find someone that can tune and dyno scoots locally but having 0 luck, so it looks like im going to be doing a lot of tinkering and setting up just playing it by ear :beg:

So things like flowing the cases are not really going to be able to be done and its no the sort of thing i want to get wrong...?

I did wonder about the strength of the crank, and now you mention it i have looked at replacements, but thought that id run the standard unit until i had to replace it... I take it that's not a good idea? :blush:

8. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

When you standard crank snaps and takes out the cylinder and your cases then no it's probably not a good idea.

9. JerseyJim

JerseyJim Member

Rides:
    '99 Zip RST
    :confused:hock: :cry:

eek... ok point taken... ill be squeezing another £120 from somewhere then...

10. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    + bearings+Oil seals+fitting lol.

11. JerseyJim

JerseyJim Member

Rides:
    '99 Zip RST
    Ah now thats one thing i can do is the fitting, silly pedstop put the boxes for the 'race' bearings and seals in the picture on their site, ive already priced them and can get them for less than half of what they are asking :D so that is a load of money saved.
    Looks like ill be bringing my scoot to the Uk to take it to a tuner in Poole, no one locally has a bike dyno where i can get it set up :( so with the ferry as a return trip that's best part of £400. So i might turn it into a holiday, stick the scoot in the back of my landrover and come over for a week, try and come when there is an event on somewhere...

12. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Sounds cool :)