A few quid to spend but what mod?

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by JerseyJim, Jul 16, 2011.

1. RelentlessDan

RelentlessDan New Member

ah your like me ;)

and wow, then yeah go for the 17 mm thats perfectly adequate

2. Jonnymarrw00t

Jonnymarrw00t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    17.5mm minimum for running any 70cc sports kits really you don't really need bigger carbs(19-25mm) till you get onto Polini corsa's then evo's etc :) But yeah Polini Sport ran in right with DECENT oil will run for ages, just aslong as the standard 50's :)

3. JerseyJim

JerseyJim Member

Rides:
    '99 Zip RST
    perfect then, so i need to bang out a few more private jobs then to get some cash in... :)

Can the stock gear driven oil pump provide enough oil or be adjusted to, or should i think about pre mixing? If i do premix what ratio should i be mixing at?

4. brettfield999

brettfield999 Member

Rides:
    Typhoon 172
    Why not just go for a 21mm carb??

5. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Zip pumps can be changed to run more oil, But i'd run premix for piece of mind. if i'm correct polini sport runs 32:1 mixture. Well that's what mine was ran on lol

6. JerseyJim

JerseyJim Member

Rides:
    '99 Zip RST
    really?? What real world benefit would there be between a 21 and a 17, would i not be better with a 19 as a compromise? Remember that im on a budget so wouldn't want to need a new exhaust as well? Im happy to save for a 70 kit and a carb but if i do this and it needs an exhaust to run right then thats out of the question, i need to ride this daily to get to and from work. So if it doesn't run im screwed...

Also any work i do will need to be completed in an evening or one weekend day...

7. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Well you can run low end kits on the standard exhaust but to get the best out of them a pipe is always best, £86 polini sport 70cc/17.5mm carb £20-45/Exhaust £70-90 lol. What is a streetFighter exhaust ?

8. RelentlessDan

RelentlessDan New Member

id say go for a 19mm and you have the best compromise and youll get a bit more out of it :)

9. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    17.5-19 perfect for this setup :)

10. RelentlessDan

RelentlessDan New Member

agreed, go for whatever one you can get cheapest

11. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Just not a Tnt.

12. RelentlessDan

RelentlessDan New Member

how bad are the tnt carbs? not owned one myself, that said tnt products are usually of shocking quality

13. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Cheap rip off's of Dellorto carb, Went in PedParts the other week someone was returing one which had fallen apart lol . Had a Tnt bar conversion on my Speedfight. Stem cracked haha. Wasn't pleased.

14. RelentlessDan

RelentlessDan New Member

yeah i thought they would be! damn aha, you get what you pay for

15. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Yep. Had no problem with my str8 though :)

16. brettfield999

brettfield999 Member

Rides:
    Typhoon 172
    I assumed that you had an exhaust fitted. As johnny says you can fit a malossi sport or a polini iron kit to the standard exhaust i guess but i wouldn't personally. Smart idea is to leave the bike as it is until you can afford a pipe, 70 kit and a carb all at once to save on setting the bike up 3 times and yes i would get a 21mm personally.

17. RelentlessDan

RelentlessDan New Member

or buy the pipe, then the 70 and carb together. thats how id do it.

although, most serious tuners would buy the 70 kit first as it gives the most power improvement. nothing alone will beat a 40% increase of capacity

18. JerseyJim

JerseyJim Member

Rides:
    '99 Zip RST
    ok thanks for the input, i know what im looking for now and i will do some shopping around, any pointers on the best places to buy from like pedstop or pmtuning, or am i best to troll the net? :confused:cratch:

Dunno what a streetfighter exhaust is meself, thats what it says on the can, ill take a pic tmrw and post it... It was shiny and on ebay cheap so i bought it... :good:

19. brettfield999

brettfield999 Member

Rides:
    Typhoon 172
    shiny and cheap... lol says it all. Pedstop ballsed up the one and only order they did for me so i wont be going back there. Ped parts are good but i have found Scooter Center in Germany to be more efficient and a 2 working day delivery turnaround. Even factoring in €9 postage its still cheaper than most UK stockists. Ahh German efficiency....

20. JerseyJim

JerseyJim Member

Rides:
    '99 Zip RST
    well to be fair i didnt know any better at the time and it was less that 30 sheets posted, the original was rusted through in several places and it was cheaper than a standard replacement...

Maybe in the not to distant ill go for a Yasuni or similar and stick this one back on ebay... :D