A few quid to spend but what mod?

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by JerseyJim, Jul 16, 2011.

1. JerseyJim

JerseyJim Member

Rides:
    '99 Zip RST
    Got some money 'spare' and ive got a couple of mods in mind, variator or bigger carb????

Help me people!!!!

:confused:cratch:

2. RelentlessDan

RelentlessDan New Member

right, are you talking about a 50cc..?

3. JerseyJim

JerseyJim Member

Rides:
    '99 Zip RST
    yes, my Zip rst...?

4. scott runner sp

scott runner sp Member

Rides:
    stage6 runner 70
    defo a variator i would say, but thats just me

5. lshigham

lshigham Member

There's nowt wrong with the stock vari's on the piaggio bikes. The Aerox one's on the other hand are shit.

How much is a few quid Jim?

6. scott runner sp

scott runner sp Member

Rides:
    stage6 runner 70
    yeah i know they are quite good, but i wouldnt say to get a larger carb on a stock bike tbh, but everyone will have ther own opinions on what to buy lol

7. JerseyJim

JerseyJim Member

Rides:
    '99 Zip RST
    a few quid is £70 max... The standard carb is 12mm i believe i have already up jetted as ive put on a TNT cone air filter, ive stuck some lighter rollers in the variator already and ive put in some red mallossi clutch springs. its running a streetfighter exhaust as well, it goes ok, it pulls nicely up to 30/35 ish and will reach 50.
    However up hills it dies off so im not sure which route to go with the next mod, hence the question... :confused:cratch:

8. Jonnymarrw00t

Jonnymarrw00t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Loose the air filter... Pointless on a 50cc barrel.... I'd go for bigger carb, Good for if you decide to get a 70's in future too.

9. JerseyJim

JerseyJim Member

Rides:
    '99 Zip RST
    Its a bit late to loose the filter as the standard airbox is history, i am aiming at a 70 kit but cant afford it at the mo. What size carb should i go for then, a 17.5 or a 19? will a 19 not be just to big for a 50 so a 17.5mm would be the compromise? If i do go for a carb then is there a jet range i should aim at? Currently running an 82 as it had a 70 in it standard...?

10. RelentlessDan

RelentlessDan New Member

you shouldnt run a larger carb on a stock bike :)

11. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Better than running a open filter on a fiftey lol. 17.5mm is good for polini sports kits for future reference

12. RelentlessDan

RelentlessDan New Member

shh boy ;) na im putting the air box back on when im home, didnt realise they were such a bad thing to have on a fifty personally :p but anyway, the box is going back on okay! :p

yeah 17.5mm is plenty fine, but you really dont need to run any larger on a stock bike...

13. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Well from what i've been told on here Etc have told me, there almost impossible to setup use stupid amounts of fuel and do fuck all sept make a deeper noise lol. And yep ran a Leo-vinceTT Polini Sport and Dellorto 17.5 was brilliant lol.

14. RelentlessDan

RelentlessDan New Member

with all due respect jonny, everyone starts somewhere. i know its not supposed to be run on a 50. hence im changing it. but equally it doesnt use 'stupid amounts' more fuel, it uses a little bit more.
    and regardless of what people say, you dont need to and shouldnt run a 19mm plus carb on a 50cc barrel

15. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Well mine drank a lot more when I ran a open filter so I was going on that. My apologies. And nope, No point in it really. Unless you're upgrading to a 70/mid race then might aswell wack it on till then lol. But anyway yeah lol 17.5 is best for standard peds :D

16. JerseyJim

JerseyJim Member

Rides:
    '99 Zip RST
    ok so ill save the splosh up for a bit longer then and save for a 70 kit then... and a 17.5 carb as well...

Thanks for the heckling :glare: and the ideas :grin: ...

17. RelentlessDan

RelentlessDan New Member

haha anytime buddy ;)
    yeah they will give you the best gains. variator would be good too when you get enough money, but as far as i know the zips stock does its job fine

18. JerseyJim

JerseyJim Member

Rides:
    '99 Zip RST
    Ok so the polini sport cast iron kit for £90 and a PHVA 17mm carb for £40. OSund like a worthwhile spend??

19. RelentlessDan

RelentlessDan New Member

definitely the 70 kit, will be reliable with the 2 rings. go for one with 1 if your looking for power over reliability, but for 90 quid thats a good deal.

what size carb have you got atm?

20. JerseyJim

JerseyJim Member

Rides:
    '99 Zip RST
    reliability is going to be key so thats why i went for the 2 ring set up. The stock carb is 12mm :confused:hock: