A few questions regarding Honda X8R-X

Discussion in 'Scooter Guides' started by Colinah87, Mar 19, 2017.

1. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Ok I appreciate you are probably frustrated at breaking down but the fact "you wiggled some wires" points to exactly what we have been saying about bad connections.
    When you get it home before doing anything check the battery voltage. You've already proved it is charging so if it is flat then that points to possibly a bad connection on the charging side.
    I suspect that the previous owner has been having problems hence the soldered connections and recent battery.
    It might also be the reason the kickstart is not working as he has been using it to start and it may have broken or worn the teeth away.
    If you need the scooter for work consider investigating the kickstart as that is why they are there to use in emergencies. At least you would have the backup until you solve the reasons for the electric starter not working.

2. Colinah87

Colinah87 New Member

Yeah I'm waiting on a lift home now and I'm going to check voltage of battery when I get home.
    As for kick start, any idea with getting access to that?
    Literally everything has been soldered in place so I'm gonna pick up a soldering iron and have a go at unsoldering when I get home and see if I can give it all a good clean.
    Followed the positive lead from batter

3. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Your last post appears to have been cut short after "followed positive lead from battery ".

Remove all the screws that hold on the transmission (belt) cover and it should come off.
    There is a centre bolt to remove as well.

A new kickstart shaft is app £12 on ebay if the teeth are worn.
    There are others that may deliver quicker or use Amazon.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-X8R...615884?hash=item465ceb014c:g:C~kAAOSwOVpXa85C

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  4. Colinah87

Colinah87 New Member

Broke down three times on Monday and didn't even make it to work.
    Solder burnt out on the battery and one of the spade connectors broke off.
    Paid for recovery and got taken to a local garage, the garage rang me today to say they'd replaced the battery, sorted out the dodgy wiring etc. £89 for that but at least I have peace of mind now.

5. Colinah87

Colinah87 New Member

...or not.
    Rode about 12 miles from garage, pulled over to go and grab a drink it was idling away and then cut out.
    Wouldn't start again so I left it around an hour or so. Seems to be fine on cold start so thought maybe if I let it cool down it'll start. Returned to try and start it and it wouldn't start, think I tried 4/5 times and the battery seemed to die!!
    I rang the garage, they said they'd replaced battery and attached fuse holder to the battery as per the spec it should be.

So now I'm going to try and figure out the issue with the kickstart.
    I'm properly baffled, it's a pain in the arse to get access to anything

6. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Did you check the voltage when you got home ?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017