A few questions regarding Honda X8R-X

Discussion in 'Scooter Guides' started by Colinah87, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Colinah87

Colinah87 New Member

So I've just bought a little Honda X8R-X
    It runs, has 12 months MOT on it. Previous owner fitted a Polini variator kit to it to increase top speed. I rode it 100 miles back from Gloucestershire to London and it was absolutely fine.
    Yesterday I rode 1.5 miles into town and then went to ride back and it wouldn't start. Seems to have been a problem with the battery as I charged it and it ran no problems later on. However the positive and negative cables have been soldered onto the terminals meaning I can't remove the battery and had to charge it in situ, will this cause any issues for me? I'm a total newbie with stuff like this.

I can't seem to find much in the way of an owners manual online either, anyone got a spare lying round or links to download some .PDF versions?

There is a petrol cap and a 2T oil cap, does this mean I need to add 2T every time I add petrol or only when the oil light comes on? I've only ever used 2 stroke engines on petrol saws etc. I've never even ridden a 2 stroke moped before let alone an automatic one besides when I did CBT. I previously owned a 125 4 stroke.

Many Thanks
    Colin

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

TOP UP THE OIL EVERY TIME YOU FILL UP, AND CHECK IT BEFORE YOU RIDE EVERY TIME!!!!
    Major reasons for engine failure are not enough oil to the piston on 2 strokes.
    Unusual to have battery terminals soldered on, un-solder them if you can and put new terminals on with a new nut and bolt.
    Do you have a kick start on it? It should start off the kick even if the battery is flat.
    Grab a multimeter, with the engine running test across the + and - terminals on the battery and note the reading.
    You should have about 13.8 volts to 14.6 volts showing.
    This shows that the system is giving a charge out to the battery.
    If the voltage is correct then it's possible that the battery is failing.

3. Colinah87

Colinah87 New Member

Cool, that's what I figured anyway but good to get clarity on that. It took over half a litre of oil yesterday when I filled up with fuel. What's your reccomendation in regards to 2T oil?

Yeah I've never seen them soldered on before, there's a lot of soldering round the fuse holder too! There's spade connectors in place also. I asked my pal who's a bike buff and has a couple and he seemed baffled by the spade connectors and the fact there's so much soldering in place. How best to get rid of the soldering?
    The battery is 4 months old I was told by previous owner.
    I'm a little confused when you said of the voltage is correct then the battery is failing?

4. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

If it's 4 mths old then it shouldn't be a problem.
    What he means is if it is showng app 14v with the engine running the charging system is fine and it would be more likely to be the battery.
    After a run let it stand for a little while then check voltage of the battery(engine off) leave overnight and check again(engine off) this will determine if the battery is faulty as it's not unknown for even new batteries to fail.
    It should show app 12.5/13v in fully charged condition but if the voltage has dropped while standing it's faulty or something is draining it.
    The soldering sounds as if the previous owner has been having some problems???
    It may be some accessories have been fitted and removed eg alarm/heated grips?
    If you can put some pics up it helps us but they certainly shouldn't be soldered. Is it the correct battery? I bought a scooter and it had a golf buggy type battery with spade fittings lol
    Anyway get a good battery and snip the terminals off the leads and fit correct ones or see if you can get similar leads at a breaker.

As for 2 stroke oil you now know that app 100 miles will need a certain amount so depending on your weekly usage and fuel you will probably get away with checking every fill up but if you go any distance carry some under the seat. If you will be using a lot buy in bulk off ebay or similar as it's cheaper than buying individually from garages/halfords etc.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  5. Colinah87

Colinah87 New Member

Yeah there is a kickstart but it doesn't appear to do bugger all to be honest.

6. Colinah87

Colinah87 New Member

What could be draining the battery?

Yeah I should be doing approximately 250/300 miles per week on it. I've got a bottle under the seat anyway so will keep that there.

Attached Files:

7. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

My first reaction was that's not correct but I've just checked and yes that particular scooter seems to use that type of battery.
    Anyway check the voltage as described.
    Any accessories fitted eg alarm?
    That is a Motobatt fibreglass filled battery. I bought a brand new one for my Triumph and it didn't last a year so you need to fully charge it then check voltage and leave to stand overnight then check it again.
    If it's showing less than 12v you have a duff battery.

Colinah87 likes this.
  8. Colinah87

Colinah87 New Member

No accessories fitted or anything no.
    Previous owner has told me the terminals were soldered by his son to make sure there was no loose connections at all.

9. Colinah87

Colinah87 New Member

Just checked, battery is showing app 12.7

10. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

I presume the lights can't be left on?? Most scooters these days have no light switch and the lights are permanently on when the engine starts.
    Get back to basics and don't presume because the battery is supposed to be only 4 mths old it can be ignored.
    If you haven't got a multimeter you can buy cheap voltage checkers from most car shops with led's at various voltages.

If you are having problems I would get the kickstart sorted so you have a backup.

11. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

We're overlapping posts lol
    If that 12.7 is after leaving it standing then that is fine.
    The starting problem is probably something to do with the starter or starter relay.
    If the battery is good and all you get are clicks when pressing the starter chances are it's the starter relay or a bad connection on the starter itself.
    These are generally tucked away underneath and suffer from dirt/corrosion so it's worth removing the leads and cleaning them up.
    I would say disconnect the battery before you do this but you can't lol
    Unsolder them ASAP!

12. Colinah87

Colinah87 New Member

Got a multimeter and did just check, battery showing 12.7 after being left standing for a couple of hours

13. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Yeah I know our posts are overlapping so your post popped up as I was typing.
    See my answer.

14. Colinah87

Colinah87 New Member

Ok that's good to know. It is starting now I may add, managed to get it starting last night after charging battery for an hour or so and has started every time since then.

What's best way to unsolder them? What would be the best thing to replace them with?

15. Colinah87

Colinah87 New Member

I've just checked the battery whilst it was idling, read app 13.5 and whilst at app 25% engine speed around 14.3

16. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

That's fine the charging system is working as it should.
    I suspect because you are putting more voltage in to the battery that higher voltage is "getting through" the problem such as bad connections or a faulty relay.
    I don't know your scooter but generally the relay is found around the battery if you trace the positive lead from the battery it should be attached to that.
    Take all the leads off and clean them (although this won't cure a faulty relay) and if you can find the starter and loosen off the heavy lead and clean it that should be enough.
    If the problems come back the next step would be a new relay.

The battery tags will need a soldering iron. As a temporary measure you could disconnect at the relay and the battery earth on the frame? The tags are fine you just have to make sure they have a good grip on the battery.
    You could cut the leads and fit in a connector/switch of some sort if you want to leave them soldered

17. Colinah87

Colinah87 New Member

Cool, that makes sense. WD40 fine to clean with m?

18. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Yes but only after you have cleaned them off or they are shiny already.

19. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Terminals solder because they were loose and coming of the spade fitting on battery, a common problem with these spade connectors when they get pulled on and off alotta times. the solder is just a holder to keep the terminal spades in place , not a bad sign but not to good as for removing is a ballache if you have to replace a dead battery.

your charging side is fine, your seeing over 13v and up high in rpm around 14.4v ( any higher than 14.4v batterys start to boil ) , your standing charge is also fine close to 13v

20. Colinah87

Colinah87 New Member

Broke down twice on way to work today, first time I stopped at services on the A3 and filled up with fuel and then wouldn't go anywhere after that. Eventually I wiggled some wires round and it started. Rode a further 12 miles or so and pulled over into a lay-by to check gps directions and it was idling and then cut out. Now won't start at all and battery seems totally dead. I'm now stuck in the arse end of nowhere about 10 miles from Guildford!
    Lost a day's work now and a days money