97 Piaggio Sfera 124 RST

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by David184, Mar 28, 2016.

1. David184

David184 New Member

Here's a project a little different to the usual I've read about on the forum.

2015-05-07 21.11.48.png
    There it is as I got it. Derelict for 7 years it started and rode despite the neglect and corrosion.

The screen was the first thing that went in the bin!

Stripping down the rest of the scoot was a headache as most of the fasteners were heavily corroded/chewed up. The bodywork is a proper pain to remove, nothing's logical or simple but as this was Piaggio's first fully plastic scooter I guess they were still learning. Rattle cans and warm weather helped when it was time to spray the panels satin white.
    New shockers, brakes rebuilt, engine and transmission serviced, a seat cover, a pair of Michelins and a new exhaust got it back on it's wheels.
    It took about 3 months to get it mot ready, I did everything that it needed and nothing that it didn't, the only job I farmed out was powder coating the wheels and fitting the tyres.
    I found out pretty quickly that it needs a screen and believe it or not it increased the top end by 5 mph!
    20160319_152221-1.jpg 20160323_102108-1.jpg
    I'm about at the end of the shakedown period now and the only thing I'm still working on is the mixture.

The pre-leader engine pulls hard for a little 4 stroke engine, it's much quicker and torquier than I expected.
    It handles ok if you don't try to rush it, but it feels a little overwhelmed two-up. The brakes are plenty powerful enough and it's comfy and great fun around town. It'll show over 65 mph on the clock given a long flat but it's happier at lower speeds.

I may lose it now the weather is warming up because my wife has taken a shine to it. I'm currently working on another scooter project and it's a very different kettle of fish to the Sfera.

Ride safe :-D

Mark Emerson Trentham and MARSH like this.
  2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I think it's great and I'd ride one , I'd love a 2t skipper from that period.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  3. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    That was a nice post mate.!.:).

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

i had the motor out of one of those in my old vx when the mains went.... the carb is bigger on the leader engine, but mostly its the same

5. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I did one of those a few years ago and sold it to my old transport manager. He ran it for 2 years, no problems whatsoever, then I bought it back off him because he had a newer one off me, and sold it again the same day to a young kid. Happy days.

6. romain

romain Member

Rides:
    Yamaha tmax
    Yep did put a malossi cylinder kit variator and transmission on an early et4 pre leader engine that was fun to ride fairly solide too
    The oil filter were a bit of a pain to replace on those