70cc vs 172

Discussion in 'General Tuning' started by gazell, Dec 27, 2006.

1. gazell

gazell Active Member

just a question really over here in the uk we mainly tune 172's whilst the europeans are tuning 70's

so basically what im askin is..once my runners sold im thinkin off gettin a 50cc zip or typh prefer a zip tbh....is there any chance i can make it quicker accel then my runner which was a 180 2t...reason im askin is cos everything seems alot cheaper to buy for 70's

forgive me if im not makein much sense im still haf cut from last night

2. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

The thing is that some things are cheaper for 50's than 125's but for high end parts that will see you reaching and beating 180/172 speeds they cost more than 125 parts.

For example. The Polini Evo2 70cc kit is ?200 (?182 in Sc Sale.) compaired to only ?160 for a 172 kit.

The other main fact is unlike a 125 you can't just bolt on a part and go. Slapping a Evo2 70cc kit on a standard 50 wont give you 21bhp! You have to have every little part that goes with it to get the power out. You also need to upgrade quite a lot of parts as they cannot cope with the extra power. Such as the clutch bell as they can warp and the cranks will go a lot easier than a 125 crank.

You could probably get a 70cc to still put a smile on your face with out spending a crazy amount of money as they are lighter. It will blow up though and wont be good for long miles and lots of use.

The final thing... Both Zip and Typh are air cooled so arn't good for any sort of tuning close to 180's. Well unless it's a Zip SP. :p

3. gazell

gazell Active Member

thnx for the info terro

but how comes these europeans are crazy for 70's and not 172's etc

4. wobbly_trials

wobbly_trials Active Member

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    You would be better off with a liquid cooled minarelli powered 50/70 scooter, these have a hell of a tuning capacity and there are plenty about.

Malaguti - F12, F15

Yam - Aerox

MBK - Nitro (same as aerox)

Aprilia - SR50 (pre di-tech), Area 51

Beta - Arc

Benelli - 491

i'm sure there are more but these are the main ones i can think of.

I have an area51 for sale, the only disadvantage to the bike is that it takes some technique to wheelie as the fuel tank is in the same place as a runner one. (?550 ONO if your'e interested)

I think the europeans have different laws regarding the age you can ride a 50, I think they are restricted to 50cc for a couple of years and so it gives more time to mod their 50s and also the parts are slightly cheaper over there.

5. laydeez_man172

laydeez_man172 New Member

also an NRG liquid cooled bike!!!!! :bird:

6. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    true but the build quality is shocking.

7. StEvO

StEvO Active Member

:rtfm: how you work that 1 out m8?

i cant flaw nething with my nrg just the pratt that owns it :D

wait til graham hear's u talking bout a piaggio like that :D :bird:

8. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    lol, well just my experience of one, at 4 years old it had a set of forks and has had to have a set every 2 years since, the geometry feels wrong and the motor has more flat spots than a duck's foot :p

on the other hand the owner is happy with it

9. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

Erm... Minarelli horizontal's are a pig to tune compaired to Piaggio engines if you are going for road tuning.

They cost more as there are more parts involved. :confused:arc:

10. tweak

tweak Member

here we go again, lets slag eachother's rides off...

back to topic please

11. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    well, as the sr uses both piaggio and minerali engine theres not really an argument. forks do die quickly if there not kept clean and the seals kept tip top. piaggio 50 engines are a little cheaper on parts tho. as for the nrg are poor build quality argument, buy a chinese scooter and tell me its better. geometry will always seem off to somone used to a different rake angle (as i am disoreintated riding an sr for instance) but utmost its rider experience with the machine that makes any vehicle handle.

the euro's have had stricter emmisions laws in place for a while that stops alot of them having more than a catted 50 on 2t form, also you need a full licence for a 70 but making your ped a 70 in alot of countrys makes it illegal regardless of age. alot of the police carry small portable dyno's.. shocking really

12. Ice70

Ice70 New Member

Atleast that would settle some 'BHP Bruv' debates, you can imagine it over here, 'yeh bruv told u ma nrg ad 10bhp race kit entit'......Your nicked son....

13. bEN

bEN Active Member

Rides:
    Ducati 848
    im sure they all have that lil switch which rev limits there bikes, my mate had one, god knows why but it restricted the hell out of it with a simple flick of a switch.

14. gazell

gazell Active Member

fuck me never heared of them

once ive got the runner tuned up to how i want it..im gonna buy a 50 and tune it up mainly because i wanna learn how to do things myself...but i dont wanna tinker with the runner incase i fuck it...so a 50 it will be at some point in the summer

15. neosman

neosman Member

I had one of those little switch thingys on my x8r tis quite a good idea actually..

16. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    there even more sneeky now, got little alarm fob ones now :D

17. *James*

*James* New Member

yeah wicked if you get stopped by the fucking pigs, some may also know them as police, when they stop ya just push the button and instant restriction :D :D

18. abz

abz Member

can you get these thing on a 125

19. bEN

bEN Active Member

Rides:
    Ducati 848
    Pretty much any scooter