63 and my First Scooter......

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself...' started by DeeTee, Jul 21, 2017.

1. DeeTee

DeeTee New Member

And it's a 2015 (Registered New) Italjet Dragster 50 , 1 previous owner and with a Genuine 65 Km on the Clock !!!! My Wife decided that she wanted to try riding instead of Pillioning so we went looking at Scoots. We were on the Isle of Man for the Southern 100 Races (I Marshal TT, S 100 and Manx GP) and we found ourselves at Paul Dedman's Shop in Ramsey. Maisie tried an Aprillia and the Dragster but they were a bit tall in the saddle for her little legs. A used Peugot Clic 50 proved to be OK for her so we bought that. I decided to have the Dragster as I thought that the Modded Kawasaki ZRX (1224 cc/175BHP & 95 lbs torque at the wheel) and the BMW HP2 Megamoto would be a bit OTT to accompany May on her travels. SO here I am, Scooter Bloke !!
    Thinking that a Malossi kit and Gianelli Pipe will be in order, though.
    I'll put some Pics up as soon as I can get round to it

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    CGC likes this.
  2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.
    There are loads of us on here that have the bigger bikes as well as scooters, they're just so much fun to hooli around on, and because we older types have a more disposable income than the kids these days, and a wiser head on our shoulders, we know how to mod our bikes without killing them on the first outing.
    You're gonna have so much fun on that little thing when you mod it "a little";)
    Where abouts in the world do you hail from?

3. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Yeah I fall in to that category. Just as every biker could do with a couple(or more) different bikes to suit their needs at any particular time eg tourer,trailie,sports,cruiser the smaller scooter fills in that quick blast in to town or urban use.
    Of course a larger scooter will tour or cruise as well.
    They are so easy to use especially in traffic and there is the micro world of tuning at very reasonable cost so some fun can be had.
    I'm 70 and currently have a Bonneville se,Suzuki Burgman 400,and a Gilera DNA 50 to replace the 125 Typhoon that recently got nicked.

4. DeeTee

DeeTee New Member

Thanks Steve.I'm in Tamworth. May is doing her CBT today (she doesn't need to-legally- but I felt it best if she did it) so if all goes well and the weather holds we'll be out tomorrow.

Stevep likes this.
  5. DeeTee

DeeTee New Member

Toy Cupboard is NEVER Big enough.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  6. DeeTee

DeeTee New Member

Never even tried a Scooter before. Last Stroker was a KX500 MXer in Supermoto trim.

7. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

WHOA!
    Only up the road from me. I'm in Kingstanding. I'm in your neck of the woods quite often with work, and clay shooting up in Seckington.

8. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    just dont be yanking in that left hand leaver expecting clutch to disengage lol oh and then sweeping the left foot toes up and down thinking your hokking onto the gearshift lol , im 45 going on 18 and riding a piaggio skipper 125 . like steve and gilly we cannot let these younguns have all the fun and we sit back and watch lol , great fun and awesome for nipping in and out of traffic they a bit more skinny than leader bikes and likes to meaning you tend to push the boundrys of " yeah i can get through that gap " lol

DeeTee likes this.
  9. DeeTee

DeeTee New Member

Blimey... Dad was brought up on Colindale Road, started work at Knights Hardware shop, played Snooker at the Hall next door to the Cop Shop and drank in the Kingstanding...

10. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Colindale is over the road from me, the snooker hall is now called Second City, a pub/club, and they have some great acts on there most weekends, and if your dad used to drink in the 'Standing, more than likely he would have known my grandad, apparently he was a bit of a character back then. My grandad used to do an act in the local working mens clubs in this area way back, probably where i got it from, must be in the blood...............and the Warriors British Legion is still there as well.

DeeTee likes this.
  11. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    I'm 51 and having more fun on this Wee Suzi than anything else. in fact that is now my scoots name (lol) since I wrote it here.

DeeTee likes this.
  12. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

deetee did she get the cbt?

13. DeeTee

DeeTee New Member

Yes, Mate. The Instructors were impressed that we booked the course for May to learn from scratch rather than me showing her stuff and (probably) my bad habits. So All Good. We're going for a ride out on Sunday.

14. DeeTee

DeeTee New Member

Hmmm, Can't see me getting more Scoots. I have Bikes that I rarely ride ! May fancies the Dragster and could well take this as her ride once she has more experience. At that point I will trade the Peugeot for someting for me to use. The Kwak and the Megamoto will look a bit OTT running with a Scooter.

15. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

If anything you might look for something bigger as most people find the 50cc lacking a bit.
    Great for poodling about on quiet country roads or in town but you can feel a bit under powered on main roads.
    I take it she has a moped licence but if she likes it possibly she might go for something larger in the longer term?

DeeTee likes this.
  16. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Not really.
    If you were to tune that Dragster properly, and May ends up liking the way it goes (and they do go when they are tuned), then I reckon the pair of you would have so much fun ripping up the lanes together, and proberly putting the kids to shame in the process.
    I tuned a Piaggio Zip a couple of years ago as my daily commuter, to the extent that I had to de-tune it a bit just so I could keep the front wheel on the ground on take-off from the lights and junctions. It was TOO vicious as a commuting scooter, and the only other scoot near me that could keep up was a Piaggio NRG, and I'd done the tune on that as well.

DeeTee likes this.
  17. DeeTee

DeeTee New Member

Yes, Gil, qualifies for a 50 with her car licence.She's not sure about going 125 and L's as she won't be able to ride on the Isle of Man when she is there ( I Marshal, May watches Southern 100 and we both Marshal MGP). We're going to see how things go.

18. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

There's always a Piaggio MP3 trike as her car licence will probably cover trikes unlike now where you need a motorcycle licence.
    They made a few even a 125 but the early ones were legally motorcycles.
    They soon cottoned on to the fact car drivers could ride one if the front wheels were slightly further apart.
    If you are interested look for ones with LT in the model name or on pics with a footbrake and separate motorcycle indicators instead of built in to legally be a trike.
    The law has changed in the last few years and you now need a motorcycle licence to ride a trike.
    They are a little big and expensive but they have a locking mechanism that keeps them upright when stopping.
    Of course there is an ordinary motorcycle trike?

DeeTee likes this.
  19. 328isport

328isport Member

Welcome! Your dragster sounds like a great find! Any pictures yet?

I was over on the isle of man for this years TT and the post TT races at Billown, good on you for marshalling, I feel like it must of been a tough year this year for some of the marshals with the losses & some of the accidents we had, not to mention the weather! Southern 100 looked a good one this year and I'm looking forward to the Ulster GP races this weekend.

Hicky was awesome at Thruxton last weekend, and is going so strong on the roads as well, I'd be shocked if he doesn't get at least two wins at Ulster, and he's going to be right up there for the BSB title as well!

20. DeeTee

DeeTee New Member

Bit slack with the pics but working on it. TT was good and bad for the obvious reasons. I'm DSM at Lambfell for TT and MGP and at Stadium for Billown Meetings.
    Off again tonight for the MGP, Maisie flies over next Friday and Marshalls Race Week .