50cc tuning

Discussion in 'General Tuning' started by dean miller, Aug 3, 2016.

1. dean miller

dean miller New Member

hi I no a lot will say get rid or swap but I don't want to

Now I have a 50cc gilera runner and what looks like a performance exhaust so what else can be fitted of the self to perk it up abit Iv seen
    19mm carbs
    Racing reed valve blocks
    Top Performance Racing Variator SV1

Iv seen them on eBay any good ?

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

PMTuning Aluminium X-Tech 70cc kit, or Malossi/Polini/Athena Pro Street kits.
    17.5mm carb is plenty.
    Carbon Reeds.
    Sports variator. (malossi multivar 2000 is a good one)
    stronger clutch springs and 2000rpm torsion spring
    Kevlar belt
    Good quality rollers (the cheap ones will wear out real quick)

3. ENVYUS

ENVYUS Member

Rides:
    AEROX
    Personally if you've got cash to spend go for stage6/Mallossi set up..you can't go wrong.

4. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Without a capacity upgrade ?

you tend to find preformance pipes are still restricted because of EU laws on emissions and likes, they have a cone fitted either in the manifold of the pipe - in the rear baffle pipe at end of exhaust or even worse a cone added inside the expansion chamber itself. with a restrictor cone fitted the pipe will produce around 10% of its given power , take a leo vince tt - zx-r pipe these are manifold restricted to 10% its power, removal of that small cone restrictor unleashes the full 100% power that exhaust can produce.

now with that restrictor removed you MUST upjet your carb , your allowing more gas flow out of the engine but still only getting a small meter of fuel and air in, so a upjet helps to gain a bit more, also a airbox mod would be in hand to allow a less restricted flow of air into the carb.
    this pepes the motor up where you will notice it, your rpm will now be higher ( if your not restricted via a cdi limiter) from the usual 7k rpm to anything upto 8-9k rpm so yep you can gain 1000-2000rpm from that exhaust being able to unleash its full beans and the motor is able to breathe more easy.

speed wise is a variator upgrade like above folks mention a mallosi multivar has a taller face so the belt will ride higher, a roller tune will allow you to fine tune the rate at what the motors rpm closes the drive plate and engages the rollers, clutch spring help to allow the clutch to open out more early or later biting the bell and hence propelling you forwards and a torque spring stops the belt from opening the rear pully to early.

your then going to find that 30mph turns out to become around 45-50mph wide open and your going to have a slightly better pull up hills ie you dont slow down but hold rpms on the hill better instead of them tailing off and dropping.

if your want more, you then have to step into the realm of bore kits or cylinder mods like porting work and timing work on the stock cylinders , bigger carbs and more rejetting and even better air flow so open air filters and likes are used, speed wise means a new set of primary gearing to replace the stock gearing in the rear of the engine casing, your bike then goes from its 70kmh (50mph ) to around 100-120kmh,

now problem is upkeep, a tuned up-bore kitted bike/scooter needs caring for, thats expensive/ or good branded mixing oils and rebuilds every 5000-10000 miles , cranks if stock will wear out quicker and breaings will give under the extra power produced, there is a lot more to owning a super quick scooter than most think its care and management of that motor to. checks and keeping it looked after, not running it hard like you stole it 24/7 etc etc like most will do a small 50cc.

5. Burridge

Burridge Ambulance selfie King

Rides:
    MZ TS125 #swag
    You can spend hundreds and hundreds on a 50cc yet half the time it still won't be as quick as a stock 125, and if it is then you'll have to tackle possible reliability issues.
    In my opinion the best thing to do would be adjust your roller weights to what suits you, possibly derestrict or get a better pipe, adjust your main jet accordingly and leave it at that. I get that you say you don't want to get rid of it but if you're on the quest for performance then you might aswell unless you're happy with 45-50 mph without throwing wads of cash at it for an extra 15mph or so. We've all been there but I can say after owning a 2 stroke 125 that goes off the clocks at 80 with no more than a decent exhaust on it and being derestricted, I wouldn't have bothered so much with my ped if I knew the difference :p

6. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Yes as burridge says, there is only so much you can squeeze from a little motor, 70cc - 72cc - and if your lucky a 90cc-100cc but your going to have to highly modify that crank case to accomodate the larger 90-100cc and its going to give 100% less life and 100% extra strain on that whole motor.

now like burridge he went to a dt 125 mx style bike, they are a little more easy to make full power, ie a fatty exhaust and some tinkering to the power valve, some 125cc bikes were imported as full power and not restricted so much to like the NS125 and likes.

scooters are alot more harder to bring upto full power , there tends to be no power valves and exhausts are some what a cut and shut job to fit ( a mx pipe wont fit a sportbike or a scooter, so companys make pipes to do that job and they are not cheap) . Most popular scooters for modding would be the vespa PX or a lambie as these are geared 125cc scooters and the companys out there are modding crazy with some sweet bore kits and aftermarket pipes unleashing the power.

Problem with a 70cc kit scooter is re-sale. they are harder to re-sell on because of that 70cc kit and 9-10 bikes will still be registered as a 50cc. not ideal for the 16yr old and a 17yr old will just go to a 125cc. but keeping a bike just derestricted its going to sell quicker than a kitted out scoot. Yeah its only 45mph-50mph at a push but its not going to sit in your yard or garage for months waiting for a buyer. a 16yr old will snap it up quicker being derestricted or a 17yr old that just needs a set of wheels to get to from A-B

Burridge likes this.
  7. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    i just bought a cheapo kit for under 50 quid delivered, fitted in under an hour, doubled the power. can then remove and sell a less ragged 50 engine with a pipe, or without, and even include the pipe and 70 kit in the sale. everyones right about a 125, but dont write off a 70 kit so quick.. or an entire bike because its only 50cc. dont spend hundreads on it, but deffo be smart and make it quicker. that means pipe and kit, leave the rest (roller and jetting ajustments needed obv)