50cc to 125cc Electrical conversion . AC to DC, Help. Pictures inside. Not for rookies..:)

Discussion in 'General Tuning' started by jusspb, Nov 20, 2018.

1. jusspb

jusspb New Member

So before going for an easy way out and installing a 125cc loom. Trying to find some help!:)

Before getting into this, be prepared to FOCUS and spend some time!:) this way later generations can get a benefit from it!:)

I have a sr50 loom, which had a 6 connector plug.
    3 of them is needed for ignition and 3 of them for charging etc.
    Colours are yellow/grey, yellow/black and orange + the green wire which is the same for both of them for cutting off the engine.

1. Looking from diagram is that current from regulator goes through stator with yellow wire and then goes to battery through fuse. Can someone explain this??
    Aprilia sr 50 loom here.
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/806425/Aprilia-Sr-50.html?page=86#manual

125cc has 3 connector plug with green for cutting off
    125cc loom runs mainly on DC, so both of the 2 yellow charging wires from stator go to regulator/rectifier.
    From there on, they go everywhere else. which would be simple after that.

sr50 and typhoon etc, run both on AC and DC. voltage regulator, has built in 2 circuits. first one which, regulates AC voltage from stator and keeps it around 12-14v. Second turns it into DC and keeps it around 12-14v

2. So if I connect 2 yellow wires from stator to each other and connect it with one of the ones which comes from 50cc loom (yellow/grey, yellow/black and orange) Thats' where it gets hard and I am lost.. Any ideas?

Having basically hard time connecting those 3 wires from 50 loom with those 2 wires coming from 125cc stator

Piaggio 50cc tph loom.

[​IMG]

Piaggio 125cc tph loom

[​IMG]

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/806425/Aprilia-Sr-50.html?page=86#manual

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I don't think it will work, you'll burn it out. Just get a 125 typhoon loom!

3. jusspb

jusspb New Member

Thanks Marsh, I do have couple of spare 125cc looms, but basically if the 50cc regulator can handle upto 10 amps then it should work..
    50cc produces around 3 amps max...

Could you comment first picture? Why is yellow wire from regulator going to stator and through stator into fuse and battery? That makes no sense, but the arrow indicates from regulator that it should be 12v DC going to stator..

4. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    It's the Italian way (piaggio) I'm not 100% sure but connecting both yellows on the 125 stator will probably short out ! Because it's a/c alternating current it may cancel each other out?

5. TAJLN

TAJLN New Member

I adjusted the 50cc 4 stroke zip's loom for 125 skipper engine. Ac runs between 2 yellow wires but the regulator only has 1 pin for ac input and the other side is ground. I connected 1 yellow wire to ground and the other one to the loom's ac input. The green wire that comes with the 2 yellow wires was connected to the green of the ignition lock. There were also 4 wires that went to the cdi.