50cc scooter registration - SORN - Tax?

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by scooterguy, Aug 6, 2019.

1. scooterguy

scooterguy New Member

Hi guys.

New here so please bear with me :)

Also I am Danish moved to UK 11 years ago so that will explain if my writing is a bit funny.

I bought a scooter 4 years ago in 2015 from Direct Bikes. 1 DB50QT-11 - 50cc Sports Scooter (Black) price back then was £499 plus delivery so I paid total of £584. Crazy just been on their website and now listed at £1199??

Okay, here to the embarrassing part I was going to insure it and also register it. But paperwork I received was not clear so had problems reading some of the bike detail parts. I even called DVLA but told me most local DVLA offices were closed etc. I also contacted Direct Bikes regarding paperwork.

I found the form to be bit confusing so never got it done and left it aside. I then started getting lifts with a colleague to my work, and scooter/moped was put aside in a shed we have by our flat/building.

I even went through getting my CBT done and passed but yes never got scooter registered or done tax/SORN, not until recently I knew you had to report a scooter as SORN.

I feel very embarrassed now as 4 years have gone, and I never got anything done at all, apart from driving bit around in our closed parking area (off-road).

I guess I got off the idea of riding the scooter to work, since I have a scare off roundabouts.

BUT sorry for how long this post is getting, just wanted to give you a clear image of why I got in this situation.

My questions are I realize I am now in risk of fines for not registering it (did not know legally it has to be done straight away) and also do SORN. Is there any way to avoid it if I get this fixed now?

I have a colleague and friend who now wants to buy the scooter from me.

So do I firstly register the scooter with DVLA £55, should I contact them first?

After registration do I then do SORN or do I do this first? Should I do insurance? (I know why did I never do insurance? Because they want either registration or need CBT (my CBT is also now expired).

Hope someone can help urgently and I am happy to answer questions if you didn’t understand anything I am asking about :)

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

DVLA first registration process:

Form V55/5 - application for first registration (vehicles older but not registered with dvla)
    Insurance cover required - can be insured on the vin number alone, registration number not required, speak to insurer
    MOT - test is required by local test centre - speak to them nicely.....
    Photocopy of your photocard driving licence or other proof of your address
    Cheque/postal order for £55 + £19 road tax to be included in application
    Sorn application to be included with application for first registration

Send everything to dvla, they might call it for inspection before issuing V5, normally takes 3 to 6 weeks.

All required forms can be downloaded from dvla website

3. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Get your 'friend' to do it.?.;).

Stevep likes this.