2015 Yamaha Aerox 50 - help to derestrict

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by Simon Robinson, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Simon Robinson

Simon Robinson New Member

Hi,

I gave up on my 2012 Aerox with 70cc big bore and loads of tuning kit as, although it went like stink and had a top speed of about 65mph, it became too unreliable and ended up with issues with wiring etc so was breaking down every 25 miles (see my previous post) so I’m going to get it charging and sell it cheap as a project.

So to stop me keep breaking down I’ve bought a 2015 65 plate Aerox R 50cc from a friends son cheaply but need extra mph. It does 34 which it too slow for the 7 mile dual carriageway what with 40 tonne lorries overtaking.

I’ve looked at the variator. No restrictive ring to remove. I’ve looked at the exhaust. No reducer ring/washer to knock out.

Looks like Yamaha got smart and made them a little trickier to derestrict to prevent 16 yr olds riding too fast illegally??? I’m guessing so some thoughtful input from someone who might know would be welcome.

Can anyone give true and meaningful assistance on how these are restricted and how to overcome this.

Please be respectful if replying. I am 47 yrs old with a full bike licence since 17 yrs old and have owned lots of bikes from a Tmax to a Buell Lightening 1200 and a Honda VFR1200 with a DSG gearbox.

I bought this to go to the train station as my BMW M6 costs £6 a day to park and any nice motorbike generally goes missing hence picking up this cheaply. So I’m looking for advice and not comments such as “don’t bother” or “buy a bigger bike”. It’s a bit of fun to get me from home to the station daily with stupidly cheap insurance.

Thanks for reading and I’m hoping I’ll get some help.

Thank you

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Is it one with the 4 stroke EFI motor?

3. Simon Robinson

No. Definitely 2 stroke.

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Oh ok. Strange. The minerelli motors are restricted only by the vario washer if they are 2 stroke. Maybe the rollers are too heavy?

5. Simon Robinson

I’m guessing it’s alreqdy been removed then. But it still only goes 34mph. Maybe 36 downhill.

I thought they were good for 40-45 without the variator ring hence trying to remove it last night only to find there’s not one. The plates mate together. No ring and no gap.

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

They stop dead on 45kmh (28mph?) With the ring in. So its faster than standard.
    Try some different rollers maybe?

7. Simon Robinson

Ricky at Ped Parts has been brilliant giving me some advice today.

Suggests an exhaust and upgraded variator with different weights and an upgraded jet.

I’m guessing the exhaust and jet will allow it to rev higher which will raise the top speed. The variator should improve take up and mid range but won’t change the gearing once it’s reached maximum (ie it’s closed fully and the belt is riding at its maximum diameter). So the only was to go faster is higher engine revs at top end (unless I were to change the rear gearing or heavier clutch spring or more expensively changing the gearing).

He recommended a silent pro exhaust. Anyone fitted and heard one? I don’t want a loud exhaust like the stage 6 on my 70cc aerox as I’m 47 not 17 and am a bit over that kind of thing.

Incidentally, I fitted a new stator on the 70cc and it cured months of checking wiring, batteries, rectifiers and breaking down with a flat battery. Turns out the new stator I had fitted was a duff one from the factory. Annoyingly I assumed it was fine and spent time changing everything else too. Only to find it was that still.

But will sell the 65mph beast now and fettle with the new ped as it’s much quieter and newer.

8. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

The silent pro is great. Looks stock, sounds stock but gives a great performance gain.
    The single biggest boost for power on a scooter is changing the exhaust. The stock ones have so much gubbins to meet EU regs etc.
    On a stock 4t neos with an aftermarket vario I managed to get 50mph, thats with the ECU still restricted.

9. Simon Robinson

That excellent feedback. I’ll take the plunge and post the results.

scubabiker likes this.
  10. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Remember to check for the restrictor in the downpipe. Some have it, others dont, its totally random.

11. Simon Robinson

Thanks. Pedparts remove it for £8. I’ve got a grinder but at that price I’ll get them to do it.

Thank you.

scubabiker likes this.