2014 aprilia sr125

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by chubbygold, Apr 23, 2017.

1. chubbygold

chubbygold New Member

hi guys took a risk on this on ebay, its a stolen recovered hpi clear sr125 motard. stolen with the keys and then recovered so no keys so couldn't hear it running, got it running yesterday looks clean enough only done 4500 miles but it's knocking, so what could of been a easy fix with just a lock set is now looking like a engine rebuild Here is a video of it running if anyone has any ideas what it could be please let me know
    http://s152.photobucket.com/user/ch...8-4A9A-AE74-AA7A43CC2DEF_zpsx4oabndu.mp4.html

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Could be the bottom, could be the top, could be the mains.
    Take the carb and manifold off, take the belt cover off.
    Turn the crank by hand while watching the bottom of the conrod through the manifold hole.
    If the bottom end has gone, you should be able to see the play at the bottom of the conrod between the crank webs.
    Alternatively, whip the barrel off and see if you can pull the rod back and forth.
    A crank rebuild is about as expensive as a new crank.
    It could also be the main bearings.
    They can be checked by moving the crank shafts either side, up and down and side to side.
    You will need to take off the variator and flywheel to do this.

3. chubbygold

chubbygold New Member

Cheers for the reply, can all this be done with the engine still in the frame?

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

5. chubbygold

chubbygold New Member

Cheers.

6. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

I have Typhoon 125 4T which is basically the same machine. Only difference is the wheels.
    The engine will need to come out to get the barrel off (if you get that far). I had a job just getting the valve cover off just to check the valves.
    It's a Piaggio leader engine so plenty of spares or engines available.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  7. chubbygold

chubbygold New Member

Cheers for the reply, Yes was looking yesterday and think it's going to be easier to work on with the engine out, are there any guides on rebuilding these engines, im usually a 2stroke man, never tackled something like this before. Cheers.

8. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Sounds top end to me as it's a fairly light noise .
    You could try the old trick of using a long screwdriver and with your ear to the handle and the blade at various points around the engine eg top end or both sides of the crankcase.
    Discover what the fault is first and then decide whether to fix it or get another engine/parts. Plenty on ebay.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/129209909/Piaggio-Typhoon-125-4T-MY-2010-en

9. chubbygold

chubbygold New Member

Yes i was thinking top end noise more than bottom, will pull it this week and have a closer look, cheers for the help.

10. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

11. chubbygold

chubbygold New Member

I don't really want to spend much money on it, just a quick rebuild and sell it on.

12. chubbygold

chubbygold New Member

13. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Didn't read the ad but it looks like crash damage so your own belt cover would be fine.
    Re the rebuild a lot depends on what you find when you pinpoint the problem or strip the motor down?
    Plenty of parts around for this engine but if you are planning to sell it it might not be worth it by the time you sort out the cosmetics as well.
    I do a bit as a retirement hobby and to get decent money they have to be in good condition to get a reasonable return most times I only cover costs.
    If it's a Cat C or D you have to legally declare it when you sell it but that also makes it worth less than book price and insurance companies won't pay out the full value because of the write off cats.
    If you were doing it for yourself it would be fine.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  14. chubbygold

chubbygold New Member

Yes it does all depend on what i find when i pull the motor apart, other than the knocking it's pretty tidy, no scratches tyres are brand new, ive just ordered new lockset for it, only £9.90 delivered with 2 keys, its not a cat d or c i have the clear hpi report. I think it will stand me at around £600-650 when completed so for a 2014 sr125 with 4500 miles, its not a bad price.

15. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Ok the pic/video just made the bike look rough with what I think is non standard paint and the front panel missing.

16. chubbygold

chubbygold New Member

I took the panels off to get to the ignition barrel, its been hydro dipped as it was a pit bike at the TT last year, its woodland camouflage Other than The knocking its a very tidy bike. Everything is there.

17. chubbygold

chubbygold New Member

18. chubbygold

chubbygold New Member

19. chubbygold

chubbygold New Member

20. chubbygold

chubbygold New Member

Todays job get the engine out, going to have a little look inside tomorrow if i cant see an easy fix ill just replace the whole engine, and sell this engine as spares or repair. Saves time and effort. IMG_4606.JPG IMG_4607.JPG