2014 Aprilia Sr 50 r tuning?

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by JakeMan1, Jan 14, 2017.

1. JakeMan1

JakeMan1 Member

Just want to know what suggested mods I should do to my sr to get better performance out of it, currently on a technigas exhaust and 8.3 gram rollers, derestriced.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    lower the rollers to say around 6g that will show a marked low end pll away and better rev throught the range

3. JakeMan1

JakeMan1 Member

I was thinking of putting 5g rollers in instead

4. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    5g or 6g

some of us tuners have a few sets of roller weights for tweek tuning. instead of just running say 6x5g rollers we may install 3x5g and 3x6g called the staggered method. it allows you to fine tune the vairator to what you like.

my current variator setup has 3x6g and 3x8g on a stock variator but could do with some even more lighter weights than the 8g to shift me to a lower ratio for longer .

you can buy roller kits that give you a selection of differing weights for super fine tuning for around £20

5. JakeMan1

JakeMan1 Member

Thank you will keep that in mind, having these 8.3gs in are annoying me now setting off in a higher gear which makes it sluggish from the line! Could you recommend a place to buy the rollers and brand maybe?

6. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    theres a few places just make sure you get the correct ones for your scooter ( my sym takes 16x13 rollers, i have naraku installed at the moment but will be dropping to malossi/polini soon ), brand wise the best i heard of are doctor pulley , but they cost an arm and leg, naraku are sorta ok'ish, polini / malossi / hoca and the rest are good but you can pay through the nose . cheap ones will just start to wear out quicker as they are made from cheap plastics.

http://www.donotlink-pedstop.co.uk/

http://www.euroscooterparts.co.uk/

http://www.pedparts.co.uk/

7. JakeMan1

JakeMan1 Member

Thanks

8. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    no worries fella.

And Welcome to the Scooter Shack :)

9. sean178

sean178 Active Member

Sorry, I don't want to hijack someone else's thread but I'm pretty new to auto scooters, as I've said before, and keen to learn.
    would your above set up react differently to 6 x 7g rollers ??

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

10. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    yes sean. lets work out the overall variator weight

3x6= 18 ...... 3x8= 24 ...... 18+24 = 42 , devide 42 by 6 = 7 ..... that last number 7 means the total vairator weight is 7g , so its like having 6x7g roller weights.

so if we did a 3x6 and 3x7g caculation we would get a 6.5g total weight

You may not think a half gram or even a gram in weight could make a difference but it does, its allowing the engine to peak its revs more early , like jake says he has some issue with slow take offs , so dropping a couple grams will bring the rpm range down to where he wants it and the pulley not being thrown into a high ratio so early on.

engine cannot throw lighter weights out so easy so its adds a small extra strain on motor but means you hold the lower ratio a bit longer
    engine can throw out heavy weights more easy so it throws the pulley into a high ratio real early, this puts a lot of strain on the motor and means your always fighting to harness the true max hp your motor produces, by the time your engine peaks its rpm power range the variator cannot travel any futher so you top out speed.

11. sean178

sean178 Active Member

Sorry, i was still a bit doughy headed when I posted.
    I can see 3x6 plus 3x7 gives an average of 6.5 not 7 as I posted [emoji15]

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

12. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    thats ok sean.

variator tuning is usually for the rider preference , if you like a quick of the line or something a little tamer.

but with the roller weights there can be a problem when you go to light on roller weights, the engine just is not able to throw the rollers out far enough and your always in a low ratio , like you have all the rpm up high screaming but your only getting a max 30mph , this can damage the motor due to it always being hard on the rpm.

theres a somewhat pay off between lighter rollers or heavy rollers with heavy your scooter will have a very slow pickup speed, and hill cilmbs will struggle, but with slightly lighter rollers the motor can still keep in a lower ratio longer so its ideal to hill climbs.
    some variator kits like the malossi come with a set of rollers, but 9-10 times you would be swapping them to something maybe a tad lighter.
    when you derestrict a scooter we tend to say 6g rollers is a starting ball park. if your still a little unhappy with the start take off you can drop a half a gram or a gram in weight and see if the difference is more suited.

at one time i had all 8g rollers fitted, it was a mistake the bike shop made when i had a new belt and full rear pulley added, they put in 8g rollers and not the 6g i already had in. i had them pull out of the rubbish bin the best 3 6g rollers they could find from my old setup and install them with three 8g just to get me by until i have a new variator fitted.

the variators roll is to keep the engine rpm at its sweet point all the way through the speed, so if an engine produces its peak power at 8000rpm we want that variator with its weight tuning to hold that engine rpm at about 8000 rpm from 10mph all the way to its top speed, that way we harness all the given max power the motor offers.

clutch springs govern when the clutch bites, if it bites to early the rpm may not have peaked enough so bike revs up then just falls down as all that power is sucked away, usually a tuner will also change the stock clutch springs to allow the clutch to bite a little later so the engine is already at its rpm range needed, the contrast spring is for the ratio change its used to set when the belt slides down in the rear pulley giving the high ratio .

low ratio = when the belt sits low in the front of variator and high up in the rear pulley
    high ratio = when the belt in front variator is right at the top and has slid right down into the rear pulley

sean178 likes this.