2012 vity error code.

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by BND, Sep 15, 2020.

1. BND

BND New Member

A pre thanks to anyone who can help me....I have a 2012 Yamaha Vity 125...the check engine light is producing an error code 42.

I have searched the net only to find one YouTube video showing information on this code and what it means. The information states that for most yamaha bikes / scooters it interprets as the speed sensor being faulty and in the video it shows you how to change the speed sensor to make the speedometer work again.

This is all very well, however, on my Vity the speedo is driven my a mechanical cable and not a three wire electrical connection.

The scooter starts and runs as normal.

Anyone had this experience or know the fix?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Take it to a dealer with diagnostic kit to sort out.

3. BND

BND New Member

I have got to the bottom of this. Error code 42 applies to both electronic pulsed Speedos and cable driven Speedos. In the case of electronic driven Speedos you will need to replace the complete unit that drives the speedo from the front wheel on the right hand side of the wheel (the right being as you sit on the bike looking forward) and reconnect the electric connector

If your speedo is driven by a cable like my scooter, you will have to replace the speedo drive unit (left hand side of the front wheel) and or the cable drive. To prove if the cable is working, disconnect the speedo cable at the wheel and spin the inner cable between your thumb and 1st finger clock wise in direction and you should see the speedo showing a small reading. If not, it's the cable at fault or the speedo itself. If there is a reading it means the speedo cable drive and speedo itself is ok but the speedo drive at the wheel must be faulty and needs to be replaced.

I hope this helps someone who has or is experiencing this fault.

And finally...to add to my delema this fault occurred over night. I parked the scooter up with no error code. I went to use it the next morning and the check engine warning light came on. As I didn't know if the fault was serious or not I didn't ride the scooter and switched the engine of immediately. Had I have ridden the dam thing for even a few yards I would have noticed the speedo wasn't working and put two and two together. Just my luck! :mad:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020