2007 Speedfight 100 will not start

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Stompingbinkie, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Stompingbinkie

Stompingbinkie New Member

Hi all, very new here and only found your site whilst looking for the answer to my problem!
    I've had my Speedfight for nearly a year now and have never had a problem until now. Basically I went to start it, it turned over but failed to start, so I went to start it again and now it will not even turn over, all I get is a faint 'click' when I press the starter button and the oil light comes on?! Anyone had this problem before? Any help would be greatly received!

Julie

2. Cockers

Cockers I hate speedfights

check your oil level, I've heard may only be a rumour that the scoot won't start if there is not enough oil in the 2/ tank, but then again your oil light comes on when starting anyway!

If you are just hearing a faint click when trying to start it your starter motor may have packed in or you have ran the battery flat trying to start it! if you can use your kick start try kicking it! put your battery on charge as well!

Check your spark plug and make sure you are getting a spark! (I don't know what your knowledge of working on scooters is so don't be offended when I explain how to do little things haha!) Take your spark plug out of the engine, plug into your plug cap and touch it on a metal part of the bike whilst trying to start it - you should be getting a nice purpleish/blue spark.

if you are getting a spark and still no joy with it starting check your fuel supply and carb.

clean your carburettor out with petrol and a tin of compressed air make sure your jets are not blocked!

re assemble nd give it another try!

if no joy try pouring a little bit of petrol into the spark plug hole put your plug back in and try to start it! if it starts I'd say your fuel supply/carb is knackered!

check compression It''s not the most accurate way to check but take your spark plug out put your finger or the hole and start it! if theres enough compression for it to move your finger out of the way then it should be good!

I'm sorry this is essay of babble but I've tried to explain the best I can from my own experience being a speefight 100 owner have had bother with it! us speedfight owners need to stick together!!

Bouncer and Conver93 like this.
  3. Stompingbinkie

Wow thanks for all that info! The first thing I did was top the oil up in a hope it was just low, but it's still the same. I did try the kick start but that seams to be broken too (never used it before) the peddle just moves down and doesn't turn engine over. I'll put the battery on charge and go from there.

4. Conver93

Conver93 U better check yourself before u wreck yourself

Rides:
    125 supermoto
    Need any guidance? Got a haynes manual PDF I can email to you

Stompingbinkie likes this.
  5. Cockers

Oh dear no closer then! the kick start is probably a worn pinion or half moon cog thing! let us no how you get on! I'd get that manual off conver as well they are a god send!

good luck

6. Stompingbinkie

Battery charged and still the same, I've took the panels of to trace the 'clicking' and it's coming from a yellow box that I've googled and is a relay for the starter motor. The clicking is normal and it is looking like the starter motor may have jammed in the engaged position. May have to take it off.
    I've PMd you Conver with my email if you'd be so kind to send the manual, can look at taking it off myself then. :)

7. Cockers

yes the clicking for a relay box is normal! it's possible your starter has packed up or jammed as you say take the varioator cover off! the thing with your kick start in and check the bendix the bit that turns to start the bike it may be that has just jammed! I gave my a lick of wd40 carefull not to get it anywhere near the belt! if you kick start is jammer or stiff give that some wd40 as well!

let us know how you get on! if conver does not get back to you soon and you are in a hurry I also have the manual in pdf format!

8. Conver93

Rides:
    125 supermoto
    I've just sent the PDF lol

9. Cockers

say no more here is the man himself!

Conver93 likes this.
  10. Stompingbinkie

Excellent thanks!
    Sooooo turns out my kickstart don't work as the 'engaging pinion' has missing teeth... I have manage to turn the starter motor teeth by hand and is nice and free, but it doesn't seem to jump out and turn as I'd imagine it should. I've ran out of time tonight, but I'll try and remove the starter motor tomorrow and look a little further, new motors seem to be about £25 on eBay.

Thanks again for your help fellow speedfights!

11. Conver93

Rides:
    125 supermoto
    I had to replace everything in my kickstart too, was all grinder down :(

12. Cockers

hopefully that is your problem and is not to bad to fix! if you have any other problems give us shout will try help best we can!

I had a problem with my kick start not long ago it was crunching as I kicked it turned out the pinion was getting chewed up! £7 later got it sorted!

13. Stompingbinkie

Well it's fixed, but now it's broke again lol.

Ordered a starter motor from red circles and they sent the wrong one and didnt stock the one I needed, so sourced another from eBay, all fitted and started a dream.

BUT after a ride out today it was loosing power and kept cutting out at junctions. Managed to just about get home and it even refused to fire up now. Just replaced the spark plug and although it now fires it has no power and dies when rev'd up. More help need guys. Sorry to be a pest :-/

14. Jonathan123321

Jonathan123321 Member

Rides:
    Piaggio NRG Power DD
    stomping binkie, i have exactly the same problem. Ive got a piaggio nrg power dt 2005 plate 50cc. I have changed everything u could possible think of. SO i am splitting the engine to check for any air leaks etc and put new sealent on

Bouncer likes this.
  15. Jonathan123321

Jonathan123321 Member

Rides:
    Piaggio NRG Power DD
    I will pm you if it works but knowing my luck it wont :p

16. Stompingbinkie

Called my local bike shop and there first answer was low compression and possibly looking at piston and rings :-(

17. Owen61

Owen61 New Member

Hi
    M new to all this too. At my wits end trying to get hold of a rear tale light assembly for a Lynx 125 T10 from Direct Bikes. They are just not playing ball and I'm beginning to think that I'm the only person in the world who has this bike. It's been with the garage fo 5 weeks waiting and waiting. Any ideas please?

18. Jonathan123321

Jonathan123321 Member

Rides:
    Piaggio NRG Power DD
    stompingbinkie. If it was your compression or rings u would know about it, Either some rattling, scaring in the cylinder. OR in most cases It will NOT start

19. Stompingbinkie

A little more to add. Went to start it this morning and started fine even rode fine, all power was back for about a minute then decided to loose power and to the point where I had to push it home as it wouldn't start again, im now thinking it could be a fuel issue ?

20. Jack James Coulson

Jack James Coulson Special Guy...

Rides:
    Suzuki TS 125 R
    needs battery charged/ Starter relay changing.

if still no effort to start it your compression rings are more then likly worn.