2006 Yamaha xmax 250 problems

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Garfeild, Jun 26, 2021.

1. Garfeild

Garfeild New Member

hi everyone, I’m new here, been biking for 40 odd years, but now got myself a Yamaha xmax 250 a bit cheap, as it’s got a couple of problems.
    The main fault is a running on problem, the bike seems to behave like the throttle is sticking open, but it’s not, I can see the pulley on the throttle body, returning shut, the throttle closes with a click, but the engine runs on at about 3000 rpm.
    If I apply the rear brake with the bike running on the centre stand the engine goes back to tick over straight away, it’s not reliable as in it doesn’t do it all the time, often it behaves correctly.
    Any of the experts have any idea what the problem could be?
    TIA

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Sticky slide body or slightly bent slide needle, diaphram split........possible air leak that only shows up when it's hot.
    Might be worth getting the carb ultrasonic cleaned.

3. Garfeild

Garfeild New Member

Thanks Steve, going to have a look this weekend, it did have a couple of other faults left hand brake didn’t operate brake light and wouldn’t allow the engine to start, new switch on the brake lever cured that, also it wasn’t charging the battery, only 12v across battery terminals on my meter with engine off or running, made no difference, new reg/rec for £25, now 14 ish volts, so all good there.
    Just got to sort the revving fault and I’m sorted, got it a bit cheap at £500 in excellent nick plus luggage and a new Delkevic exhaust because the guy couldn’t be bothered to fix the faults.