2000 Vivacity difficult start, won't idle, rough running

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by Steve D, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Steve D

Steve D New Member

I bought the above for my son, it'd had allegedly done very little mileage and been stood a while, previous owner changed oil, fitted new plug and battery and when we first picked it up started on the button. It did seem to bog down a bit at first but after a few good run outs seems to have cleared that problem, the issue now is it's getting more difficult to start. To the point this morning my lad got it out and it just wouldn't start. Reading other posts I am assuming this is some kind of carb gumming problem and have bought a repair kit with new jets to clean and replace internals, also bought a new plug and am going to give it a good going over at the weekend. Having read other similar posts on here it looks like I'm doing the right thing?

I'm not interested in de-restricting it I just want a reliable scooter for him to get to work on.

Is it worth looking at a better air filter and re-jetting, new coil & HT lead & a new CDI or is this overkill?

Thanks for looking

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Is the choke on those a butterfly valve? Or is it a plunger type?
    Check the valve clearances too.
    Just give it a service and see how it goes.
    Check the intake manifold for cracks and the fuel/vacuum pipes for splits.

3. Steve D

Steve D New Member

Plunger, it's separate on top of the carb, for £10 I've bought a new one. Valve clearances?? Really, didn't know that was a thing on a 50cc 2 stroke? Will be checking everything for cracks, splits etc. It's dislodging my S1000XR from the workshop so it's getting a good going over

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Oh its an old one.
    I did a guide a while back. Carb cleaning on speedfights or something.
    In the float bowl they have a little choke jet thing. Blow through it with conpressed air.
    Is the float bowl metal or plastic?
    The earliest ones had plastic, but they split easy when tightening the drain screw. Then the bowl slowly leaked overnight making it difficult to start the next day

5. Steve D

Steve D New Member

Don't suppose you have a link to that guide do you?

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Just look in the guides section here. I was the thread starter.

7. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE