2 stroke oil

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by superbees, Apr 28, 2020.

1. superbees

superbees Member

Hi i have just brought a 2014 speedfight 3 rs 50cc total newbie and wondering if the oil you put in the engine and the oil you mix with petrol are the same and which oils should i buy thanks

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yes.
    Good quality 2 stroke oil, like Castrol, or motul. Ideally fully synthetic

3. superbees

superbees Member

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

You can't change the engine oil on a 2 stroke.
    Unless it's a 4 stroke, but I don't think the 50 speedfight came as a 4 stroke

5. superbees

superbees Member

confused so you dont ever change engine oil?

6. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    If it's a 2 stroke then the 2t oil is the engine oil !

7. The Messenger

The Messenger Active Member

if your scooter is a 2 stroke:

The 2 stroke oil goes into a little tank and is fed into the engine by a pump, most people call it Autolube. This is your engine oil, there is no sump of oil like a 4 stroke that needs periodically changing.

The only other oil you will have is your gearbox/transfer case oil. A lot of these are supposed to be sealed for life, and dont need changing, although personally im not a fan of the term sealed for life.

8. superbees

superbees Member

Thanks for that now i have got as this is first ever bike.i dont have tank in mine someone has removed i have checked and the oil pump is faulty so looks like they removed because of this and has been mixing in fuel tank im not sure if it is worth re commisioning it because cost of parts or just add 2 stroke oil to fuel tank?

9. The Messenger

My scoot hasnt got a tank either, I pre mix.

its quite easy to pre mix if you can find a little jug or a small bottle with ML increments on the side.

Then you just have to decide what ratio of oil you want to use.

A std or mild sport set up can run safely on 50:1
    Ive got a mid race set up and i add a little more oil and run at 40:1
    higher than mid race, or if you have a ported cast iron kit (they get hot) you would want to probably run at 33:1

50:1 = 100ml of 2T oil to 5 litres of petrol
    40:1 = 125ml of 2T oil to 5 litres of petrol
    33:1 = 150ml of 2T oil to 5 litres of petrol
    25:1 = 200ml of 2T oil to 5 litres of petrol

The only other thing to watch out for is if you run pre-mix you want to increase you main jet size a couple of sizes, as you have oil and petrol passing through the main jet now, oil takes up space which would have been occupied by fuel, and you air/fuel mixture will be leaner. I guess the original owner would of up jetted for pre mix.

10. superbees

superbees Member

im sorry no nothing about these so guess you mean jet on carb what size do i need and where can i get cheers

11. The Messenger

you would have to do a bit of research and find out what jet is fitted to your carb as standard, and then check inside your carb to see what is actually fitted.

If the scoot is just derestricted or mildly tuned i would run it on 50:1 and not worry too much about the jet, unless it starts getting hot after full throttle for a while or bogs out. take the plug out and check the colour, if its a light tan to light brown colour its running pretty good, if its a light grey ot even white its too lean and needs up jetting, if its black and sooty its running too rich.

12. superbees

superbees Member

should be a 52
    TK PZ15 settings
    Type 504
    Idle speed 1800 rpm
    Mixture screw 1 3/4 turns out
    Main jet 52
    Idle jet 48

13. superbees

superbees Member

14. The Messenger

15. superbees

superbees Member

thanks will get 3 as 17%off so works out £5.69 per litre bottle

16. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

£5.69 per litre is good value. Hell of a lot cheaper than Smirnoff. Yesterday was the first (and last!) time I've purchased spirits for ages. Fancied a bloody mary for some reason. Was amazed to find a litre of that stuff cost me 20 quid at my local garage. Don't use it as engine oil though. Probably work better in the fuel tank :D

17. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

A liter of spirit here is like 60 quid or close to that... Yay taxes..

18. milo2025

60 quid? What a rip off.

19. superbees

superbees Member

vodka would that be like rocket fuel might even go faster than 35 mph

scubabiker and milo2025 like this.
  20. milo2025

Possibly. Probably tastes better than 2 stroke oil too. Won't be having it again in a while though. Had a hangover from hell yesterday morning (from the vodka, not 2 stroke oil).