1998Suzuki burgman an250 carb problem?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Ar pete, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Ar pete

Ar pete New Member

I have a 1998 suzuki burgman an 250 w and I am having terrible problems starting it. I have cleaned carb and jets, replaced float etc It still won't start easily and when it does it ticks over steadily for a few seconds then stops dead and takes ages to restart. Also when I turn the revs up it cuts out. I have checked everything and still can't get to the bottom of it after days and days of taking carb on and off, check for spark, changing float height etc. Anybody any suggestions

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Carb diaphram?

3. Ar pete

Ar pete New Member

Well I checked that too and it looked OK.

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Sounds like fuel starvation. Does it have a vacuum petrol tap by any chance?
    Look into your vacuum lines if so

5. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Have you checked the electric choke?? My choke failed (Burgman 400) and it was a job to get it started/running.
    It's a standard type choke so take it off and connect it up to a power supply and see if the plunger extends out after a few minutes.

6. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

As mentioned check the fuel tap. If it's manual then is it turned to the on position? If vacuum fed then check the pipes are fitted the right way round. Rove both from the carb, make short pulsing sucks on the vacuum pipe and fuel should come out of the other. Once done then make sure the pipes are fitted to the correct carb spigot.

7. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

They have a fuel pump.

8. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

My deauville has a fuel pump but also a fuel tap. Is it a vacuum fuel pump or electric? Perhaps the vacuum is poor or if electric then maybe an airlock or faulty solenoid? Many electric pumps go wrong when the connections burn out so maybe check the pump is actually pumping properly and doesn’t need priming through or fixing.

9. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

It's electric and it's a right pain to access.
    I had a problem with mine but it turned out to be bad contacts. After gaining access it was just a matter of taking the connector apart.
    Easiest way to find out if it's the pump is pull off the fuel feed at the carb and see if fuel comes out when ignition is switched on.
    It should click anyway until the pressure gets up after switching on.
    The tank is underneath and it has a car type outlet built in on the top. The fuel pump is located right down at the front right hand side below the radiator/footboards.
    I believe the filter is built in to the outlet(car style) there is no fuel tap.
    The choke uses a larger diameter plunger but functions the same as the smaller scooters i.e. when power is applied it extends and closes up the extra fuel drilling.
    It only takes a few minutes to check that. They are quite expensive to replace(if you can find one) about £80 last time I looked even though they are much the same as the smaller scooters they use a larger diameter plunger.
    Later Burgmans went over to fuel injection. The 250 never had injection.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018