1995 Piaggio Typhoon 50 LC conversion and general upgrade

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by GeorGE Black Rider, Jul 10, 2016.

1. GeorGE Black Rider

GeorGE Black Rider Member

Yeah ... i can't belive people stil do that (work) :) I thought their all either renting or invested in the anti-Romanian propaganda :) (if you want us to leave just say so,don't build up crap :) ) .I guess you repaid SOME in the grocery event :p .

That's the good and the bad at Typhoon,They got no front mudguards (there isn't even the mount on the factory fork for one).
    So no problem on the front.On the back,i'll make a spacer.Job done.

Well,the 90 is sidewall height,but in % of the width of the tire.Thus 90% of 120 is 108cm and 80% of 130 is 104cm.
    Yeah,i'll still need to make a spacer but I CARE ABOUT THE KNOBINESS of the tire and off road thread,not the little work for the spacer.
    I don't worry about recalibrating (i don't know how that would work either,but will do it) as my clocks are broken anyway.I'll repair them,if i can,if not change them with some NRG ones.

Well,UK has gone metric (i think you always was,in the official,important measurements) as did the Australians,or was it the Canadians,all the rest used metrics since time immemorial.Actually it is THE ONLY INTERNATIONALY RECOGNISEZ measuring system.
    Anyhow,they got a bit of UK and a bit of the NORMAL world :) Aussie drive on theleft but use km/h and Canadian drive on the right but use Miles :) (i won't mention the usa,wich are some nouveau riche,mongreled with the rest of the world,same road you're heading,i'm afraid).

By the way,here's the problem.Is the "leftism" in the bulb or the headlight ?

They may be bad with standard bulb,but i'll put the strongest LED low/high beam (despite my scooter NOT HAVING high beam) bulb i can find and we'll see after that.
    If they're collecting dust and you don't mind ... i would really apreciate it ;) .Are them this tipe ?

2 questions still remain.
    1 : Are the NRG fork serviceable or 1 time use like TPH ? DO you know any fork from other scooter that will fit right in ? Do you know a site with the fork dimensions ? I can't seem to find one anywhere.
    2 : Do i need a different loom for water cooled engine,or just to run another wire for the termometer ?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  2. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Yes, GeorGE, they are that type ;). I take it that you want them then? If so, send me a Private Message with your address and I'll get them packaged up for shipping. Once it's all set I'll let you know the cost and we can settle up. Have you a preference with regard to a courier?

3. GeorGE Black Rider

Yes,i want them.
    Well,i'm NOT from UK as you would have guessed,so,i would prefer national postal service,as is the best it can,but well cheeper.
    I would also love if you can (post can tell you) tell me an aproximate cost of it till city Satu Mare,Romania.(most north-westward citi in the country,so the cost should be a bit cheeper).
    I'm not rushing,so i can wait even for 1 week.

I want them anyhow,but if even the post is too expensive,there are numerous turistic buses that do this route,you can give it to the driver of one of those with the destination written on the box ;)

I can wait for the aproximate cost (due to weight and distance) from the post till tomorrow.
    I will send you then the adress and help you with one of the RO-UK terestrial passanger firm (maybe even the one of one my university colleague's).

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  4. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    I'm in a meeting for most of tomorrow at work so I may not get chance to pack them up, but I will get them packaged for Friday and see what they weigh when packed.

5. GeorGE Black Rider

Well,you can pack them today,as it's wednesday and thursday just sent them (on whatever the variant might be).The cars don't do the trip daily,only 2-3 times a week (my ex coleague's one) so i'll see when there's a car leaving UK.
    Are you near London ?

If you can,pack them and find the price,tomorow.The destination is Satu Mare,Romania.
    Probably,it will come with one of those cars,but i'll let you know tomorow (when i get an answer from the guy).

Can you help me with the rest of the questions :D ?

1 : The sidewall height diffecence between 12" with 140/70 (the max on 12") and 130/80 (the tallest sidewall i can put) is just 6mm (higher on 130/80),so they should work,right ?

2 : Are the NRG fork serviceable or 1 time use like TPH ? DO you know any fork from other scooter that will fit right in ? Do you know a site with the fork dimensions ? I can't seem to find one anywhere.

3 : Do i need a different wire loom or just add another independent wire for the water termometer ?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  6. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    No, I'm in Manchester.

7. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Might I ask how old you are, GeorGE? If you don't mind me saying, this thread appears to be lasting longer than your patience lasts. I did say that I was in a meeting all day at work today, did you miss that?

8. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I'm glad I gave up on this topic !

9. GeorGE Black Rider

No i didn't miss it and no i don't mind.Well ... what part of what i've said,indicated that i have no patience ? I just didn't want to burry the last 3 questions i have with the subsequent comment,not that i wanted to hussle you ... .
    Site tells me anyhow when you've left it and it doesn't bother you after that.You can enter and respond whenever you wanted.
    Also,i just asked you nicely,not implying you HAD to,just that IF you MANAGED ...

Well,yeah.You GAVE UP,after a very short period.No reason,it's just your thing.
    Everyone recomended this site for experience,but i guess that didn't come from guys like youself,just personal try and error of everyone.
    Just like when you left,there are 3 simple yes or no questions.You know ... the things teachers tell kindergarden kids while teaching english ...
    I guess it's too much for some people.I can't understand why this type of people would join a FORUM,a Q&A place.
    Then again,i guess that's the policy of the forum,pretty obvious,when they burry INTERESTING NEW TOPICS,under 10 year old dead ones,so people won't see the new one,get bothered and answer others.

Thanks for everything Merlin and WHEN YOU CAN,give me that estimate.
    If others (from this site) can't be bothered to answer the 3 questions left,just say so and i won't expect you too.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  10. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Yes the 140 tyre will work, and yes the NRG forks are serviceable. It's normally the nylon bush that wears causing front to back play in the legs, easily stripped out and replaced. As for the temperature sender, not sure.

GeorGE Black Rider likes this.
  11. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

12. GeorGE Black Rider

Thank you very much man.
    I was refering to 130/80 tires,as they are the tallest sidewall i can find for either 30 or 32.5 cm wheels (12 and 13" respectively).I think they will work,only problem is where can i find 12" compatible wheels as the NRG has 13".
    Thank you for the link too,but,i don't afford a new one + it past 2005 (NRG MC4) wich i don't think will fit my 1995.
    1 thing is not clear,where is the nylon bush.

13. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Inside the fork leg

GeorGE Black Rider likes this.
  14. GeorGE Black Rider

2 questions left :
    1 : Do i need a different wire loom for LC engine,or just a wire for the termometer ?
    2 : What 12" wheels are compatible with Piaggio Hi-Per 2 engine ?

15. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

If you use an NRG engine, then use the NRG loom. Solves the problem with the temp sender.
    Same for the wheels, the earlier models had 12" wheels with a 130/70/12 on the back and 120/70/12 on the front, provided you use the NRG forks.
    The later models had the 13" wheels.

16. GeorGE Black Rider

Well,the NRG engine is called Hi-Per 2 and is also used in typhoon,runner,zip etc engine,with no difference.Beside,NRG loom might be different to typhoon one,including in lighting (my tpyhoon DOES NOT have long beam) so i don't know if it will be compatible..
    Puting another wire won't be difficult,if it doesn't disturb the electronics so i don't mind.

i will put 130/80 on both 30 cm wheels,so it doesn't matter the standard tire's size.
    Are there NRG 30cm (12") wheels front and back (as Marshs said here that even MC2 got 13" wheels) or only older runner wheel are 30cm ?

What fork and 12" wheels are a straight fit (it doesn't interfere with steering lock) and what wheel on the back is compatible with Hi-Per 2 engine ?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  17. GeorGE Black Rider

Anybody there ... ?

18. SandStorm

SandStorm Member

Meeeee!
    But at work and falling asleep. Did 14 hours, slept like, 3h and now I don't know until when I'll do. Modern day slavery

19. GeorGE Black Rider

Slavery indeed,my friend.That's why i've taken Sweedish ideea of 6h work day and went further and improve it by banning afternoon and night shifts so all the people get out at 1 PM and have a life.What do you work ?
    Anyway (we leave "politics" for chat :D ),can you help me with any of the questions :D ?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    SandStorm likes this.
  20. SandStorm

SandStorm Member

I don't know how to answer that bcs I lack knowledge xD