1995 Piaggio Typhoon 50 LC conversion and general upgrade

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by GeorGE Black Rider, Jul 10, 2016.

1. SandStorm

SandStorm Member

Chill out dude. You asked if no one wanted to answer you anymore. And I just said I dont know much. Afteral I'm pretty much a novice on scooter world. All I could say I already said. So... chill.

Sent from my A1-810 using Tapatalk

2. GeorGE Black Rider

GeorGE Black Rider Member

I'm completely calm :D But you asked (very nice ;)) a question and i wanted to be sure you read the answer :D ;) :cool: (and I don't want you to think i've omitted it) .
    I don't wanna intrude,but how come that you asked :p ? And how did you get into the scooter "world" :p :D ?

3. SandStorm

SandStorm Member

I'll answer the scooter world one xD
    Wanted something economic, and stared checking scooters. I had never ridden one. Saw several until settling with my gilera stalker. May not be the most economical scooter, but have the things I like. Fat tires, red colored and a pretty good response.
    Yesterday I did in a row around 110km to go to a motorbike meeting. Bern very fun, it is addicting. Now I use it way more than my car. And spend way less in petrol

Sent from my A1-810 using Tapatalk

4. GeorGE Black Rider

I couldn't even dream of such long journeys even if i do it at 30-40km/h (so i don't foce the engine).I did it once.done 60 km till the closest big cities airport,and after i came back i had to segment it :) .At the return (beeing young and clueless) i've came at 70km/h (80 beeing max) and i've reached somewhere around half the distance,when a buddy who was riding (a 125,i think) Gilera Runner (wich are all,LC) brought to my attention that my exaust has "caught on fire".It was the green (NOT heat resistant) paint i've spray on it that was burned and smoking.
    Then,engine was soooooo hot,it couldn't idle,so i kept the engine touration (very low) by hand,till the fan cooled the engine and it could idle,again :) .
    That's why i want a bigger engine and water cooled.

Also,when i trained to get my full license (wich i did in 2010) the shool had a 400cc bandit,wich i asked for,and even that,only started with me at 4-5000 rpm.That's why i'll never buy a motorcycle smaller than 500 cc and water cooled,cuz i know i'm forcing it and (because i consider them a living friend :) wich i know,it's nuts :) ) i don't like it :p

P.S. You're preety secretive about you're reason of asking about LC option :) All right :p
    P.P.S. Can ANYONE help me with my questions,please :D

5. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    You need a NRG L/c 70cc complete engine with radiator nrg front panel/ inner leg shield, nrg Mc2 front wheel to match the nrg rear wheel.

6. GeorGE Black Rider

Well,thanks you very much :D The 70cc is a kit upgrade from 50 cc,or is a factory one ?
    Despite the fact i hate the NRG face + the headlights are too low (thus,won't iluminate very far) i might use it,but i don't think it will fit,as the body,except for NRG MC1,is completely different.
    The NRG engine will be a Hi-Per 2 MC2 one,right?

Also,what i've asked before,are there 13" wheels,like NRG's but "fat" like Typhoons ?

7. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I'm all out of answers for you, I tried , sorry.

8. GeorGE Black Rider

You're not.You said an NRG 70cc complete engine.Is there a 70cc factory engine,as from your expression,it sound so ?
    Also,the NRG engine you mentioned,is the Hi-Per 2 engine from NRG mc2 and 3 ?
    Also,do you know of 13" fat wheels ?

It's not my fault you're not explicit and seem not to read what i write.

They're simple,yes or no questions ...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  9. GeorGE Black Rider

So it looks like Marsh abandoned me.
    Everyone recomended this forum for beeing all about rolled sleves and simple (or not) projects but till now only MArsh and SandStorm helped me.Anyone else who want and can help me ?

I have basicly 8 simple questions left.
    1 : Did Marsh refered to 70 cc tuning kit or a factory engine (as the formulation suggest) ?
    2 : Where can i find this type of Typhoon headlight (even only the interns,as you can see here as that ebay listing isn't available any more) wich seem to be on some examples (specimens) since 2003 or 2005 onwards ? I can't seem to find them anywhere
    3 : Would this later handlebar cover fit to my 1995 typhoon ?
    4 : Would a NRG MC 2 or 3 a direct fit into the typhoon chassie ?
    5 : As i plan to put in a NRG MC2-3 Hi-Per 2 LC engine,would this back wheel guard of an MC4 fit ?
    6 : Will NRG fork also on the typhoon directly ? If not,forks (serviceable,not unique use like original typhoon ones) of wich scooter will ?
    7 : Would this strenghtening bar,do anything to the rigidity thus manouvrability ?
    8 : Is it me or this Honda Ruckus wheels are a bit bigger than 10" ? If they're 10 inch too,on what compatible (with NRG Hi-Per 2 engine) wheels can i put off road,fat (tubeless) tires like on typhoon ? Are such tires even made in 11-12-13" scooter size ?
    Why does people say,bigger wheels are better for handling ? How exactly do they improve it ?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  10. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Hi, just found this thread. Interesting but a lot of questions all at once. It can be overwhelming. Lets see what I can do for you.

1: The 70cc engine is an aftermarket tuned one. Upgrade your cylinder and piston with a decent grade piece, Malossi, PMTuning, etc.
    It should give you somewhere around 11-13hp. Add to that an aftermarket sports variator, kevlar belt, 17mm dellorto carb, standard air filter box with open grade filter foam and you are good to go.

2: Most scooter headlights are shit to start with but to change them for something better that fits in it's place, is a pain in the arse and stupidly expensive. You could look at something like these to attach to the lower fork legs on the front mudguard bolts that will illuminate the road a lot better:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282019406444?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

3: I have no idea if it would fit your bike. Why would you want to change it, unless it is broken of course?

4: Given they are both piaggio bikes, quite possibly. But before I would tackle that, I would be looking at some measurements in comparison with what you already have. For example: overall length of the engine, position and width of the engine mounts, location/position/length of the shock and mounting, distance of cylinder from block to top of the spark plug to see if it will foul the frame anywhere etc. Plus also any wiring configuration differences.

5: Yes it will fit as it attaches to the belt case, but be aware of the width of the rear tyre as it may catch the edge of it.

6: I'm not sure. Measure the length/diameter of the stem comparing to yours, making note of the threads and how much protrudes above the frame.

7: What for??? From what I can see it would make the rear of the bike nearly solid with no damping from the shock. Might be good for racing though. I could be completely wrong.

8: Those wheels are 10" wheels. It's the tyres that make them look bigger than they actually are. Same as the Gilera Ice wheels.
    But you can't use those tyres on your bike, or the NRG, as they would foul the side of the rear shock and engine case.
    The max you can go on the NRG 12" wheels is 140/70/12.
    Bigger tyres don't necessarily mean better handling, it's the quality of the tyre that you need to look at and the speed/wet rating. The softer the compound the better the grip, but they wear out quicker. The harder the compound the more mileage you get. You have to find a compromise to suit your needs.

WOW. That was an essay!

GeorGE Black Rider and MARSH like this.
  11. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

The more I'm thinking about this, the more I'm becoming inclined to say, in line with what you appear to want, is to ditch the Typhoon and buy a 50cc Gilera Runner. Liquid cooled, rear disc, very tune-able.
    I think it would be the cheaper option in the long run for you.
    Plus given your height and weight you would still retain the leg room that you need.
    However, saying that, at your height, I think you would still look out of place on it.
    Maybe something like a WR125 would be better for you.

GeorGE Black Rider likes this.
  12. GeorGE Black Rider

Thank you very very much mate :D
    Honestly,even if i would got the money i wouldn't change it.It's just perfect for me.Yes i might look silly on it,but i LOVE the scooter.
    In spite of what discussions with Marsh might have suggested,i don't want to tune it,just want to put it on "it's legs" and ride it.
    Marsh just suggested the 70cc kit,as the factory 80cc is very hard to find and as it wouldn't hurt a bit of extra power.
    If i can't find 80cc (from a liquid cooled rear disc typhoon and nrg) will use 50cc with this atributes.
    I don't intent it to transform it into a off road scooter,just love the knobby tires and have the off road ability,extra dampening and the more air helps distribute my weight better.I considered a supermoto/dual sport but something around 600cc (BESIDE my scooter) as 125 (4stroke and with gearbox) is waaay to low power and i would force it.
    Besides,this scooter have the center of weight very back,that's why the rear brake is more useable then front (that's why i want a bigger disk on the back).

2 : Thanks for the link.I allready took into consideration extra lights to do the job of the headlight (but not bolted so low,as it wouldn't iluminate far enough) only it would't be logic or preety to let the headlight unused/so crappy.That's why i was looking after that headlight (with magnifier) as mounted on some typhoons since 2003-2005 as i would like to use LED bulbs,thus,i need a concenctrator (with reflector it would iluminate all over the place) and magnifier.You don't have a clue,where to find it ?

4 : As the fotos here suggest,they are the same in all dimension,except for the end where the wheel mounts.This means it will fit right it,right ?

6 : Are the NRG fork serviceable or 1 time use like TPH ? DO you know any fork from other scooter that will fit right in ? Do you know a site with the fork dimensions ? I can't seem to find one anywhere.

8 : As the 140/70/12 means the sidewall is 98 mm and the 130/80/12 ( like this ) has it of 104 mm,wouldn't it also fit on NRG 12" wheels ?
    Also,i've said bigger WHEELS (not tires).Why do everyone keep saying they're better ?

13. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    12" wheels have more stability than 10" wheels, due to the increased gyroscopic effect. Usually, the tyres on 12" wheels have the same rolling radius as higher profile tyres on 10" wheels, so the speedo may not need to be recalibrated. You might find this link useful to calculate the rolling radii for each wheel and tyre combination.

http://www.49ccscoot.com/calculators.html

Also, trolling people that you are asking to help, by having a lack of patience when it comes to waiting for answers, will make your help dry up pretty quickly.

GeorGE Black Rider and MARSH like this.
  14. GeorGE Black Rider

Well,excuse me,but there was 3 h 20 min,between the 2,sunday afternoon (when everybody's home) and i considered there was enough time for an answer.Also,it wasn't trolling,i SPECIFIC asked EVERYBODY,so the same person won't feel like i'm "trolling" him.
    If there was an insult,it wasn't intentionate,obviously.

Back to bussiness.The 12" NRG wheels with 130/80 would be perfect,but are there 12" NRG (or other compatible with TPH) wheels ? As the charter here says the standard 13" with 130/60 .The sidewall height diffecence between 12" with 140/70 and 130/80 is just 6mm,so would they work ?
    TPH 10" with 120/90 - 10 a diameter of 470.0 mm and circumference of 1476.5520 mm
    NRG 12" with 130/80 - 12 a diameter of 512.8 mm and circumference of 1611.0125 mm

As we talk about wheels,in the charter mentioned above,in tire section,it writes "3.50x10" to TPH.Now i know 10 refers to wheel diameter in inches,but whatis the 3.50 about ?

Now remains 3 question only :

1 : Does anybody know where can i find that double headlight with magnifier,or just the insides of it (i can make the rest) ?

2 : As the fotos here suggest,they are the same in all dimension,except for the end where the wheel mounts.This means it will fit right it,right ? The "hanging" support on the whell end (left) of the top (newer,Hi-Per 2 engine) is for the disk calpper,isn't it ?

3 : Are the NRG fork serviceable or 1 time use like TPH ? DO you know any fork from other scooter that will fit right in ? Do you know a site with the fork dimensions ? I can't seem to find one anywhere.

I know i ask much,but that's because i want to learn and ... because it's in written form,it seems much,but it isn't.I also know i've bored you with questions and no pics,but when i'm doing the proceses,i'll keep you updated (the slower,"old fashioned" way,as i hate and thus not have,a "smart" "phone") :D .
    Thank you in advance.

P.S. Now i would wait 24 hours so i don't bother you guys.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  15. SandStorm

SandStorm Member

At the moment I can only answer the 1. Since I work nightshift this week, my afternoon was spent sleeping, this when I dont work it, lol.
    In the united states of America, typhoons came with double headlight. So, while rare, maybe we can find on American eBay.com those headlights

16. SandStorm

SandStorm Member

About point 4: if drum, by cable. If disk, hydraulic, like on stalkers that had rear disk brake.
    I can be wrong, but...

17. GeorGE Black Rider

Only in america ? My God ... it would cost more to fly them 8000 km to Kingdom of Romania then the lights cost.
    If no1 know some LED projector headlight or aftermarket lights that are strong enough (1-2000 lumens) and cover the with of the road,i'll just buy this Benelli lights and search some LED bulb (but this will take me up to 30-40Euro/light,wich is preety expensive.

I know that,but there are also disc brake actuated by cable,and i tought that if the disk brake are so rare,maybe they used cable on them.Anyway,the more i think about it,the more stupid and obvious it is that they're hydraulic.Question deleted ;)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  18. SandStorm

SandStorm Member

Man, why we dont make something new of yours? 2 fancy big headlights (like those from Yamaha Zuma) from those TT trucks, some fiber work on your scooter front panel...

19. GeorGE Black Rider

You mean this zuma or the big open eyed one ?
    Either way,it's too big and lack the concentrator.
    I would do the bodywork if needed (it takes a loooot of care and imagination to look right) arund the headlights,that's why i thought of this NRG light but it's too expensive so i might get if used,or some Aprilia SR 50 insides.
    How does it look on an NRG ?
    Kinda dim and waaaay too close,isn't it (compared with the others,like Harley one,you can see on Page 1) ?
    From those TT trucks ? I don't know what you mean ...
    What is TT and what does trucks (tractor-traler i suppose) have to do with this ?

Problem is,i think Aprilia's are separate,1 for low and 1 for high beam,and i don't want that.I want them paired,so i might need to take 2 pares,use the low beam on the handlerbar (as it lights further) and hight beam in the actual place.That takes some work,but if i can manage it (surely i'll need to replace the recharger,or whatever is called,with a bigger one) it will look nice.
    I will think,what looks better,smaller NRG headlight,or the bigger SR ones.

20. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Most of us only come on here daily and I don't have access to the site at work. Some of us also have lives, surprisingly enough. :)

Larger wheels usually need lower profile tyres to fit within the mudguards. If your 10" wheels uses a 120/90, your 12" wheels will probably need a 130/70 to have the same rolling radius. 120 and 130 is the tread width, 90 and 70 are the sidewall height. 3.50 inches is about 90mm, does that make more sense to you? The Americans still use inches whereas us in Europe have gone metric.

As for the magnifier headlights, I have a set from a Peugeot TKR that I no longer need. They are crap for lighting power though, which is the main reason why I swapped them for the Trekker 100 headlight. Let me know if you want them, you can have them for the postage cost.

GeorGE Black Rider likes this.