180 tuning, here i go......

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by tommi_balls, Mar 21, 2011.

1. tommi_balls

tommi_balls Member

Rides:
    FXR 180
    right ive got power hungry and in the process of fitting the forks i decided to strip the bike right down including the engine. Found crank seals leaking, waterpump leaking and a minute amount of play in big end.
    So perfect excuse to sit on PM website and build a shopping list but im apprehensive on clicking the all important `buy` button until i get some reassuring advice from a expert. so if someone could reply tonight it would be much appreciated and i can get this lot ordered.

heres whats in my basket
    PM stage 1 172 kit (includes billet head and coated piston)
    PM 52mm full circle crank
    new main bearings
    new oil seals

Now im up on my 2-strokes and bikes but new to scooters. I know i really need the gear up kit but im planning on being sensible for a while. I ride the bike daily 50miles on duel carriageway and economy is reasonably important here. My quibbles are setting this lot up, i know little about playing with transmissions although i understand the principles. So i will need some help here.
    should i chuck the 25mm carb and reedblock in the basket too?
    IMPORTANTLY what are the resale prices on my carb, barrel and head (they are totally mint cond!)

2. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

I personally wouldn't ever use a PM kit. Much rather go for a malossi.

if economy is important then a gear up is a good idea and so is if you are riding at speed often.

A 25mm carb would be an improvement but will drink a lot more fuel. The reed block is a lot of money for no real gains.

There are lots of guides and tips on setting up bikes on here if you search.

3. tommi_balls

tommi_balls Member

Rides:
    FXR 180
    oh now im unsure. I'm in the middle now with the barrel kits lol

anyone got any opinions on either?

EDIT. just searched the forum and i agree with many views on the possible china copys. malossi it is then!

im aprehansive of their stuff now, as i cant stretch to a malossi crank, whats the next best thing or am i safe with the PM crank? This any good?
    http://scooterbits.co.uk/product/Full_Circle_Crankshaft_-_Std_52mm_Stroke/

4. rt08

rt08 New Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner SP172
  5. tErr0

6. tommi_balls

tommi_balls Member

Rides:
    FXR 180
    Thanks for the replys although the link there didnt work. Im glad ive held fire an appreciate the advice

Thats a kind offer sir. Ive got my eye on the BGM 52mm evo if you can get hold of that

so updated shopping list then as i think its better to choose right once and not rush this
    BGM 52mm crank
    Malossi 172
    Main bearings
    Gaskets+seals
    25mm carb+fold
    malossi Gear up kit

new questions, what head is the dogs? (for the above setup with scorp exhaust)
    looking at ratios for gears on scooter center, whats this first and second version?

7. tErr0

First is for really old engines. Really old style of gearbox. You want the 2nd and a common ratio is the 15\41

The link was just to the crankshaft section on scooter center... Lots of bits on there.

Both Kubler do a head and so does BGM. There doesn't seem to be much information about the BGM head but BGM parts are normally great quality. I know minor confusion rates the Kubler heads and has used them so they are also a quality buy. Both are sold by scooter center.

If you are planning on doing an order from scooter center I can source you the bits for less than you would pay. Pm me if you are interested.

8. tommi_balls

tommi_balls Member

Rides:
    FXR 180
    indeed i will sir but i have to do some searching and reading up tonight to make sure i get my head around the torque spring and what colour/type is needed. All i gather if my hypothesis is right is that it crates a larger amount of squeeze on the rear pulley so the belt doesn't force the pulleys appart with tuned lumps. As a result i will need slightly heavier rollers than otherwise i would without. Plus if i lay on all this extra power the rear pulley will give out too easily and i will just bog out.
    So standard Ive got 15.5 rollers and standard spring. so heres the bit i need to rough out before road trials, i will keep digging through the forum...........

9. tommi_balls

tommi_balls Member

Rides:
    FXR 180
    wel ive churned through all the chavs with peds :grin:
    and found a little bit. slightly confused with whats going to happen with the roller weights.
    So im gonna go for the malossi white spring, any educated gusses on a roller weight to start with?

10. tErr0

Depends on what pipe really... What you should really do is order a range to work out the best.

11. tommi_balls

tommi_balls Member

Rides:
    FXR 180
    scorpion pipe. not the best but its stainless and will last with my all weather riding :)
    hence in keeping the standard box too. keeps mud, snow and rain out lol

but at £10 a set id like to guess reasonably close lol i will lob a set of 14's in there and ive got a new standard 15.5 set kicking about and see where that gets me. i could always machine some weight out my heavy sets for a trial then get a proper set ordered.

12. tErr0

That could be about right. 125/180/172's are less pissy when it comes to roller weight than 70's so you can get away with it being more off.

You normally run less weight with a PM59 as they are more revvy pipes and a bit more weight with a scorp. I dropped a gram going from a scorp to a pm.

13. tommi_balls

tommi_balls Member

Rides:
    FXR 180
    pm sent of all the hop-ups req.
    not sure on the malossi spring as SC list two and the text doesnt shed much light.

on the hunt for a 25mm carb now but theres always a bigger fish and im finding it hard not to opt for the 28. talk me out of it ffs! lol

14. tErr0

Depends on how much fuel you like using? Pretty much all of the 25's and 28mm are premix carbs and have to be modded for an oil feed. The ones that seem to cost twice the price and are branded polini or malossi are the same but with oil feeds.

15. tommi_balls

tommi_balls Member

Rides:
    FXR 180
    Yea i did notice some sellers state there isnt an oil feed/ vacuum but i believe its possible to tap fittings in. I will prob end up with the 25mm although it feels small compared with the strokers im used to. Thinking slightly sensibly tho a 25 is going to be more practical eco-wise and to avoid a thick ear from her indoors!
    Ive ordered the malossi 172 kit which comes with head. For some reason it was only £200 delivered. I checked part numbers and phoned them up to check kit contents and all seems well.
    Also ordered a Mazzucchelli Corsa 52mm Crankshaft as the BGM crank i was after is out of stock. Its not the cheaper crank they make as some digging showed there are two.

Not sure how u the scooter community rate these but im at the point where i dont give a sh*t lol Ive looked at every crank they make and need something that someone has actually got in stock thats NOT PM tuning! My searches havnt yeilded any horror stories so have to see what it looks like when it arrives this week and no its not made in china atleast
    Have also got NTN bearings and some other parts bought up.

slight problem with the gears though, nobody has the malossi 15/41 gearset but loads with the 14/43 polini :(

16. tommi_balls

tommi_balls Member

Rides:
    FXR 180
    nearly got it back together. ive had some side projects to finish and have been waiting for some parts to turn up for months.
    Will get some pics up soon as ive got the last bits assembled, literally has every part off the bike now i think. Everything has been overhauled.
    additions to the bike were:
    malossi f32 forks with wavey disc, new yoke bearings
    malossi 172 kit and head
    malossi reeds
    malossi filter
    malossi MHR cdi
    malossi gear kit
    malossi white contra spring + bush
    Mazzucchelli corsa 52mm race crank, new bearings and seals
    PM engine bush kit
    Genuine silent block and swingarm rebuild kit, thermostat, malossi rollers, tyres, pads, throttle cable, water pump.

Stripped and shot blasted cases with super fine grit which ive never used before. I have to say the cases look spanking new with a dull shine. Ive not done any case work as im a believer in letting someone who knows what they are doing fiddle with that.I did however stub match. I just need a reasonably proddy bike which will take being ridden properly all day every day that doesnt return 5mpg. Also fixed the headlight which aim wobbled like crazy. Found that it is just a piss poor design (unless something was missing) with no pre-tenstioners holding it tight against the pivot points. Fiddled about for a while and added in a spring. It now works like it should have done :)
    Bike should be ready for the next seasons worth of milage now, about 5000. Have to say though that i miss my KTM 950 now the suns out. If this scooter doesnt ride £1000 worth better then it might get sold lol

just last few bits to assemble and fitting these malossi gears and having some probs getting them off. Ive had a large bearing puller on there with lots of heat and broke my tool. Ive had it in a press with 3t sitting on it, still hasnt moved. Ive got another 22t squish to go but before I mash this up, is this normal?

17. tErr0

The gears come with fitting instructions. You normally need a 10 ton press.

You need a project page with pictures!

18. tommi_balls

tommi_balls Member

Rides:
    FXR 180
    yea i did notice some kind of instructions but are about as much use as a one legged man in an arse kicking contest!!

its quite self explanatory fitting them was just being cautious with pressure to use.
    I will now go and crush the feck out of it then :D

Perhaps i should get a project page started

19. tommi_balls

tommi_balls Member

Rides:
    FXR 180
    oh boy that took some doing! took about 10 ton to get the old one off and the full 25 to get the sod back on as id of the new gear was 0.1mm smaller than the shaft od. Broke the press twice, bent a new pair of 20/50 parallels and ended up machine a tool to hold the shaft perfectly square. It came out of the original gear with such force it was like a gun going off, denting the wooden catch tray lol wont be doing another one of these again, poxy thing!

20. gazell

gazell Active Member

sounds like youve been busy mate. whats your views on the crank ????