125cc Peugeot Tweet 2016, 2 problems

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Tilly, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Tilly

Tilly New Member

Hi there I have a 2016 Peugeot Tweet which I bought back in may. I have just noticed two problems with it.
    Acceleration from stationary seems sluggish compared to how it was when I bought the bike. There is a delay before the bike will move off.
    What could this be?

Also there is a high pitch "chirp chirp" noise whenever I am riding. I can't work out where it is coming from because obviously I can only hear it when riding. It gets faster as I accelerate and tails off when I slow down. It doesn't happen all the time. Mainly on cold days.

I will be taking it to the garage soon I was just wondering if anyone could suggest what the problems might be.

It was serviced at 500km and is now currently at about 1600km.

Thanks

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Brand new bike i would say , so that sluggish feeling is now the engine and everything has settled down and loosened up a little as it wears and sorts itself out.

other places it may be

rear brake sticky
    on gy6 chinese motors they sometimes have a chirp sound as the engine head heats up and warps causing a slight compression loss ( doubt its this on a peugeot )
    center stand bushing worn away.
    rubber spacer in varaitor has perrished ( some have a rubber seal ring ad this can sometimes wear away).

one tip is to put bike onto center stand have someone lean on the front of the bike and hold front brake on. this raises the rear wheel well off the ground, once done you can start bike and slowly raise the throttle power allowing the rear wheel to spin up. you may then be able to pinpoint this chirping sound to either the front left side of the engine or the left rear side where rear brake is.
    having a good idea where he sound comes from means less time the garage will have pulling scooter apart to find problem and costing you more in labour time.

And welcome to the scootershack Tilly

Tilly likes this.
  3. Tilly

Tilly New Member

After I posted this I drove to the cinema and noticed that when I use the right hand brake the noise momentarily stops and when I release the brake it starts again (provided I'm still moving) so it's got to be something to do with that!

4. Tilly

Tilly New Member

See my latest post as I feel I have narrowed the sound down...just so it's easier to diagnose when I take to a garage as suggested by another user.
    I use it every day to go to work

5. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Right hand brake leaver is for the front brake Tilly

sounds like its just a little sticky , pop scooter onto the center stand, have a friend sit on the scooters seat where passenger would sit, this makes the front wheel come off the ground, have them hold the handle bars while you spin the front wheel.

now normaly the brake pads will always be in contact with the brake rotor ( brake disc ) thats how disc brakes are, but sometimes they get a little sticky and may bite the disc a little to much, so spin the front wheel it should spin some what freely, you may even hear that little chirping sound or squeak thats the pad rubbing on the disc.

if you look front on to that large brake disc where the pads sit inside that caliper you can see the pads sitting very close/on to the brake disc its going to look like a sandwich, a pad on one side then the disc in middle and another pad on the other side you will see the pad is made with two parts a metal plate then the pad abrasive part itself this wears out over time as the pads rub on the disc and the brake is used. it is also where road dust and dirt can gather and make the caliper a little sticky and instead of releasing the pad it keeps it pressed up a little more than usual on the brakes disc. ( thats where the squeak / squeal / chirp comes from )

if you spin the front wheel and it just stops the front brake is binding/sticking a little, if it spins but only say half a rotation thats not bad. if it spins and makes a full rotation all is fine ;)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
    Tilly likes this.
  6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

its quite normal for them to be a bit noisy from the brakes, i wouldnt worry too much about it.
    the sluggishness (is that a word? it is now!) is because they make the bikes run lean to meet EU standards on emmissions.
    all new bikes run like crap, they need fine adjustment.
    it should be under warrenty, get them to sort it.
    I work(ed) for a main dealer so i know this sort of stuff very well.

7. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

oh also quite a lot of these peugeot scooters have rattly exhausts... could be that...

8. Mike pierce

Mike pierce New Member

Hi I had the same noises coming from the front of our tweet, I took off front wheel and cleaned the long bolt that goes through and greesed everything, not had a noise since

9. user1543

user1543 New Member

Hi I think my scooter has the same problem yours had. It makes a chirpy noise intermittently that seems to be coming from the front of the bike and tends to happen in really cold weather. I took my bike to a garage and they said they thought the noise was the drive belt and replaced it. It obviously was not, as it is still making the same noise. Did you discover exactly what was wrong with your bike?

10. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Pads are dragging on your disc when colder,less when warmer.;,same issue with my present ride.

11. user1543

user1543 New Member

Thank you for your reply. Does it sound a bit like a car with a slipping fan belt?

12. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Mine squeals when moving the bike about after it's been sitting at work for 12+ hrs - just a matter of warming things up.:).

13. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Way to drag up a dead thread boys.........................