125 scooter not turning help please

Discussion in 'General Tuning' started by Aaron whitlock, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Aaron whitlock

Aaron whitlock New Member

Help my scooter died last week at traffic lights it just died down no noise or anything I changed the spark plug and it's still not turning over can anyone help me and tell me what to do to get it working please

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Hello Aaron and welcome to the forum.

your info is a bit vauge ( scooter model ), but i am sure we can help you find the problem.
    now i am hopeful you can have a few tools at hand and a little time.

First place we need to start is that sparkplug, is there a spark ? unscrew the plgy and rest it onto the metal frame of the scooter or the scooters cylinder ( do not rest it on the top near where sparkplug screws in, as we could ignite fuel if there is any in the combustion chamber.). now we will either kick start the bike, or hit the starter button (may want a second pair of eyes/hands here to help) we are looking for a nice strong blue spark arking from the tip of the sparkplug. if we have a spark thats good pop the sparkplug back in.

next is the vacuum line, this is a little black tube that goes from either the engine crank case or the carb manifold inlet to the fuel pump. sometimes this pipe can work loose and fall off, without that vacuum line creating a vacuum pulse the pump will not feed fuel to the carb.
    so check the vacuum line is connected to the pump and at the engine crank case/carb manifold. ( you can also remove this tube block one end with finger and blow down it, if air escapes even when blocked you pipe is damaged and needs replacing ).

check these two things first and pop back and tell us if they helped ( also can you tell us a bit more ie bike model so we have a better idea what we are dealing with )

3. Aaron whitlock

Okay thanks for the info I will try this and get back to you and my scooter is a sukida 125 sportsman 2 Chinese bike lol its a bike to get around lol I need help and I will try the info you gave me hopefully it works thank you and I will reply as soon as

4. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    your welcome aaron.

deffo check the vacuum pump line see if its activating the fuel pump and not fallen off ,and see if its getting a spark from that plug buddy.
    those two areas are the first to check, if its sparking it should fire but if the vacuum hose popped of no fuel in the carb means it will never start until it gets fuel

5. Aaron whitlock

Okay thanks I will try in the morning and definitely get back to you thanks again

6. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    No spark means we have an electrical fault either at the coil or the cdi

Coil is like a big capacitor it is charged up by the bikes electrical magneto as it spins round usually by the starter motor / kickstart or when the engine is running.
    CDI is a little electronic box, as the magneto flywheel spins round and creates a voltage and charge it passes past a small sensor.
    this sensor sends a little message to the CDI telling it to release the coils charge and make the sparkplug spark ( all this happens very very fast )

delete you email address buddy so your not hammered with spam and likes. pop to youtube and crate a free account and upload your video
    then you can copy and past the link in the forum ;)

7. Aaron whitlock

Okay mate thanks I try again with the spark tomorrow with extra few hands it was hard tryna do both together lol so u think I need a new coil or cdi

8. Aaron whitlock

that's the link mate hopefully you can tell if the spark is working or not but I will try again tomorrow do you think a new cdi and new ignition coil will help then mate

9. banner001

banner001 Member

i tried, but i just couldnt see the spark from the plug thats currently buried in your engine...i tried remote viewing, and even held a little seance...nowt.

as my x-ray vision is currently on the fritz please remove your spark plug from the engine, connect it to the CDI, ground it on a bit of bare metal frame and see if when you hit the starter you get a spark...if you do then its unlikely to be plug/CDI related.

10. Aaron whitlock

Okay mate do u think if I brought a new cdi and new ignition coil it would be okay

11. TomCAprilia

TomCAprilia Member

Rides:
    Aprilia SR 125
    i had a similar problem with my et4. if you've been hitting pot holes or speed bumps recently you could have blocked up the fuel jets or fuel lines with some rust/gunk from the tank (if its an old model).
    i had it happen to me, my scoot bogged down at the lights then died. i tried to start it up but nothing was happening.
    i replaced the fuel lines as they were old and had gone stiff and got my carburettor cleaned.
    It could be what Tamiyacowboy is explaining still but its worth looking inside the carb if a new cdi and ignition coil doesn't solve you're problem.

12. Aaron whitlock

Okay thanks for the information buddy's I will try the new cdi and ignition coil and if it still doesn't turn over I clean the carb and fuel lines thanks

13. banner001

banner001 Member

It's very easy to see if you have a spark...as I just told you. If you don't get a spark stick in a new plug, if it's still dead then change the ignition, and failing that the cdi.

14. Aaron whitlock

Okay thanks mate it is a new plug I will have to try with another pair of hands when I got time to see if I have spark if not I will get the new ignition coil and cdi thanks mate

15. Aaron whitlock

Hello everyone my bike works at last I changed the ignition coil and cdi box and it worked 1 more thing is how can I get the right air fuel mixture screw right setting as It is cold weather in UK can you help me

16. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper

good to hear it worked ok Aaron .

if you have not tinkered with the idle and mixture needles you should be fine. companys will have the bikes set up from factory to be over rich, they do this becasue they cannot say the bike will be sold to someone in the rocky mountains or someone at sea level so they keep them rich to save problems.

17. Aaron whitlock

How can I tell it's over rich ??? Sorry I'm a newbie

18. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    you will not need to aaron. so long as you have not messed with the carb settings bike will be fine ( trust us on this) ,
    its always best to air on the side of being a little over rich than being lean and having a possible heat seize.

take a few rides out ( i tend to ride around the village so if something goes wrong its not a long slog to push bike home ) and get a feel for bike running. let everything settle down and enjoy being back on the road again fella.

if problems show a head we can always look into them, but mean while enjoy the bike running and you having the open roads

19. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    funny how newbies only come on when they have a problem, zero experience of mechanical principal then want there bike fixed for free over the net by complete strangers. mate, by all means hang about, learn, enjoy the site. this is NOT an alternative to paying a mechanic

20. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    i dont mind helping out we all have to start somewhere. my first blind fitting was a yz80 piston and rings lol. OMG took me like 2hrs to get the blasted piston into the cylinder.