£1600 engine shopping list

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by ROSSRS, Jun 17, 2007.

1. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

hiya, just joined as picked up a runner 172 on thursday and selling my aprilia rs250 this week so will have a spare £1600 to spunk on the runner. really am absolutely clueless with regards to what kind of difference variators and torque springs make as i've really been into karting and bikes up til now so was wondering what you lot would spend that on. got 172 on it, needs new crank and already got a scorp pipe so thats 2 things done and one thing needed.... any suggestions apprecitated, cheers!

2. Sw1fT

Sw1fT Active Member

Rides:
    200SX S13
    most beneficial thing to get would be to get the barrel ported and have the cases flowed and matched.

we infact have someone here who does it :p

im sure he'll comment here in a minute

but there are a few things you could get, why does it need a new crank by the way?

3. wobbly_trials

wobbly_trials Active Member

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    if you want an all out monster then:

BGM 55mm crank
    Malossi 172kit
    28mm carb (or 25/26 flatslide)
    scorpion pipe (optimum for reliability and power)
    variator kit (malossi or polini)
    kevlar belt
    gear up
    clutch
    torque driver
    decent reedblock
    cases flowed and barrel ported
    (done right this setup can produce in excess of 30bhp)

personally i would stick with the RS250 though, lovely machines, bit impractical though.

4. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    id stick with the rs aswell, uit uses a DECENT engine unlike the 125 (its a suzuki rgv engine)
    as for the shoping list id go with wobbely except ditch thew torque driver, reedblock and keep the stock pipe or use a jolly moto/pm/nk/custom as the scorp is prittymuch the same power wise as the original except it pushes the power higher in the revs (125's make the most power at 8k with the stock pipe)

5. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

ooh no, rs is awful, i love 2 strokes but when you own an rs you can see why they dont make them anymore. looks nice and is quick when it works. but horrifically impractical, might as well be a honda rs250.
    runner needs new crank because the big end bearing exploded and rod welded its self to the crank, was looking at that pm long stroke crank because not sure about postage from germany for those bgm ones. the prices listed on scooter centre the delivered prices?
    got the cases apart now so will leave them apart for porting, how much is that? £300 ish? centre plug head was something i looked at as well, worth the money? hoping for 30bhp in the end. cheers
    oh and funnily enough would go and buy another rs125 tomorow, second best bike ever had after rvf

6. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    you sold the RS then? or selling?

the 250 isnt in production anymore because it didnt meet emmissions laws in europe.

love the bike, would buy one tomorrow.

7. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

selling, i know about the emissions thing, been my favourite bike since i was 12, and will prob regret selling it eventually but its just a waste. bought it and put about 100 miles on it since xmas. i'd recommend it as a track bike or lounge ornament because it does look awesome. mines on youtube, search "rs250 runway" =)

8. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    cool, how much do you want for it?

9. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

pff prob £1400 really, got scuff on the left hand side and 11,000 miles. right hand side sexy though ha ha. dep pipes. prob take 1300 tbh. not like i use it enough to miss it. scuff isnt too bad, got pics and things if you want a look.

10. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    not interested in an RD 350?

[​IMG]

11. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

nahh, had one for a month, couldnt get on with the looks. the 250 i can just leave on the patio and stare at it =) seen rs's with no panels at all go for 1300 or scuffed for 2k so figured 1400 would be okish. i'd swap it for a runner with 30bhp tho =D

12. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

nice calipers btw. anybody have a price for porting the barrel and cases?

13. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    drop minor confusion a PM, yeah the calipers were on it when i got it, damn expensive.

i just like the way the RD goes. i can out handle most sports bike riders and keep up on the flat.

14. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

oooh you'd like the rs, lots quicker and 110 and 150 section 17 inchers so can run gpr70's, 10 alphas, diablo h rated and bt090's. goes round corners like the rs125. but with massive 298mm brembos =D. will pm him as soon as i'm rid of the aprilia. sort of power gains am i looking at? malossi cdi worth buying while i'm throwing money at it?

15. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    not to start with, if you have nothing else to do then start looking at ignition, the stock ignition is pretty good on all piaggio powered 125/172s

yeah, i had an rs 125 for a while but flogged it in preference for the RD, i also have another RD which i'm trying to graft TZR swing-arm and front end onto.

16. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

cool, 2ma or 3xv? love the 3xv's, look great. heard the mito with rd engine is quite straight foward. nigel kimber prob does mount kits. not sure tho.
    thats another £80 spare then, got athena belt and the 172 kit.

17. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    not sure, whatever i can get hold of, its currently a stock RD in boxes. yeah the mito conversion is very easy, i was debating weather it was worth doing a few months ago, first priority is my SR though.

18. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

worth doing, quality of the running gear on the mito is high and they handle nicely. could probably finance the project by selling off the excess rd350 parts. whats that sr 183 like? want the long stroke crank on mine, just need to get rid of rs! argh!!!

19. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    i'll tell you when it's finished. its a runner LC motor. about 3 weeks off finishing, depending on when i start my new job.

20. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

mine should be done by then too depending on how soon the 250 goes. just going to get a list of bits from people on here and do that, long stroke crank seems to be a must.