£250 for my Aerox to be deresticted??

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by Tins81, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Tins81

Tins81 Member

Rides:
    Yamaha Aerox SP55
    Well I was hoping to get my new Aerox cheaply derestricted. Just the basic washer out of the variator and the standard exhaust restrictor removed.
    I phone a local moped dealer and they wouldn't touch it. Tried to tell me it was digitally restricted and they couldn't do it...
    I had more luck with another local garage but they're asking £250!! This is a little more than I was hoping for. It includes the washer removed from the variator. Jet size increased, new rollers,but they won't touch the standard exhaust. Instead I'll have to buy a new exhaust they recommend which costs £120 giving the final bill of around £250.
    Does this seem a little steep or not a bad deal? Thanks.

2. creamsodauk

creamsodauk Ped Ped!!

Rides:
    Runner 125 SP
    my aerox got derestricted for free by the shop i purchased it from, as did my brothers nrg! must have got lucky.

I wouldnt say buy the exhaust they sell unless you know its good, id grab any sport pipe or have your stock one derestricted. as for the other costs its just labour and a few small parts so 130 seems a little steep but if no one else will do it, and you cant then it looks like its your only choice

3. FiddyRox

FiddyRox Well-Known Member

Rides:
    Aerox, CRF450, YZ125
    That's absolutely crazy.

All you need to do is the washer. And dont go for the exhaust they recommend, no doubt it'll be a crap one that they mark up to £120.

4. Tins81

Tins81 Member

Rides:
    Yamaha Aerox SP55
    If I take the washer out and just put on a deresticted exhaust would it work? Wouldn't I at least need to increase the jet size?

5. Scooter-Noob

Scooter-Noob God among idiots

Rides:
    AEROX in box's :-D
    if your not going to buy a 70cc kit, DO IT YOUR SELF :) .

Step one - get a leo vince TT exhaust there fantastic on the 50cc engine and come with clutch springs and rollers all for around £70.
    Step 2 - remove the washer on the front pulley, this will cost £10 if you dont have a locking tool but you can make one for free.
    Step 3 - bigger Jet, now none can tell you the jet needed as no two bikes are the same but i would find the stock size and add 15% and work from there 10% for the de-restriction and 5% for the exhaust would be my guess.
    Jet pack will cost around £10

So £90 and an evening of your time.
    if you dont want to spend £90 you can remove your stock exhaust and take it to a garage to have the restriction removed and welded for around £20-£40 depend on the garage, my local one charges £25 for 1/2 hour of work OR find a friend with a welder and buy him a pint

the lesson here is going to a garage is easy but you have to pay them to do it(upto £100hr) plus the cost of parts, you can save yourself £160 on there price by doing it your self and none of the things you need to do are hard.
    Remember for the inexperienced Google+You Tube are your friends, the is 1,000,000's of videos on how to jet a bike and the other things you need to do and just bolting on parts EASY.

6. astro77

astro77 Active Member

if you just use the standard exhaust derestricted and remove the variator washer then no but some people do go up maybe 2 sizes just to be safe, if you fit something like a Leo vince zx or a stage6 rep exhaust expect to upjet around 10%, so say your standard was a 56 your new jet would need to be around the 60 - 62 mark, but its not set in stone and just gives you a ballpark figure to work with :)

7. FiddyRox

Rides:
    Aerox, CRF450, YZ125
    What they said. But go for a stage6 pro replica. I can pretty much guarantee that a 72 jet will be perfect. You'll need gurtner jet, not 6mm dellorto's

8. andy-pp

andy-pp Member

what Fiddyrox said- you can just remove the washer from the variator and do nothing else without any problem- most shops should charge max £25 for this (5 mins work)
    will take you from 30mph to 45mph-
    don't bother 'derestricting' the standard exhaust you won't see any real worthwhile difference- you won't need to change the jet or do anything else unless you change the exhaust later

9. Tins81

Tins81 Member

Rides:
    Yamaha Aerox SP55
    Will it really increase the speed by just removing the washer in the variator?

10. astro77

astro77 Active Member

yes it like adding an extra gear as it allows the front pulley and variator to meet all the way allowing the belt to run higher up the pulley faces, expect at least a 10mph increase with just the washer removed :)

11. Scooter-Noob

Rides:
    fully restricted you should see 30mph, if fully de-restricted you should see 45mph, thats a 50% increase for the cost of a new jet £3

12. astro77

astro77 Active Member

Why a re jet for just removing the variator washer, the word restricted means restricted ie slow the bike down, with the washer removed is how the bike is made and desighned to run. ;)

13. Scooter-Noob

Rides:
    yes but the bike is set to rev to say 7,500 RPM when you remove the washer you get over rev to say 9,000. it will need a little more fuel.

in general the rule is more RPM's need more fuel.

14. astro77

astro77 Active Member

yeah I know that but just removing the variator washer does not really need a upjet as the over rev isn't much on a standard 50, nowhere near the 9000 rpm you stated (i know it was only an example) with the oem exhaust, and will suck any extra fuel it needs with the oem jet :) its only when you modify/change the exhaust an upjet is really needed, just removing the variator washer should be fine as is :)

15. astro77

astro77 Active Member

Edit double post , bloody phone :rolleyes:

Tins81 likes this.
  16. Tins81

Tins81 Member

Rides:
    Yamaha Aerox SP55
    All going well then this weekend I'm going to remove the restricting washer.
    I've already bought the variator locking tool. I believe the bolts holding the from case are 8mm and the big nut on the variator 15mm. If I'm wron could you please correct me :) Also the large nut on the end of the variator. Does this new tightening using a torque wrench (if so how tight) or just by a normal wrench?? If by hand do I tighten it up as tight as I can??
    Thanks again :)

17. Tins81

Tins81 Member

Rides:
    Yamaha Aerox SP55
    Front case** stupid bloody iPhone ;-)

18. andy-pp

andy-pp Member

Ah no! The revs don't actually increase when you remove the washer- many people think this but it isn't true.

When the bike is restricted the variator will hold the revs steady at say 7500rpm until it hits the restriction washer at say 23mph- once it hits the washer the variator can no longer adjust out and the only way for the bike to go faster is for the revs to increase... so the bike will struggle on up to 30mph at which point the revs may have crept up to say 9000rpms at which point the engine is no longer making enough power to continue to accelerate and it has self-limited itself.
    When you remove the restrictor washer the variator will still hold the engine at 7500rpm but this time it can hold 7500 all the way until it reaches say 35mph because the washer is no longer in the way... at this point it can then only accelerate further by increasing the revs as before, only this time it will struggle up to around 45mph before it reaches our 9000rpms and runs out of steam (figures estimated!)

So because the bike is running at exactly the same rev range and developing exactly the same power as before there is no need to change the jetting in this circumstance. In fact in reality a derestricted aerox will actually rev slightly lower at the new top speed (45mph) than it did at the restricted top speed (30mph) because it requires far more power to continue to accelerate the bike past 8500rpm when the bike is going over 40 compared to when it was going just 27-28mph. This is why the washer is such a poor restriction method, as soon as you reach 23-24mph you start moving out the powerband and the bike spends its life over-revving at 30mph with the throttle pinned fully open!
    On the plus side this means that simply removing the washer is a very safe thing to do and actually is much better for the engine.

astro77 likes this.
  19. FiddyRox

Rides:
    Aerox, CRF450, YZ125
    I remember the variator being a 17mm.

Do the variator back up to 40ft/lb, not sure what that is in Nm but theres probably a convertor online somewhere. Be sure to use some loctite on the nut!

20. Burridge

Burridge Ambulance selfie King

Rides:
    MZ TS125 #swag
    Complete and utter piss take.
    My whole bike only cost me £250.
    Just do it yourself mate, don;t be scared about it, that way you'll save a load of money and learn about your bike.
    Upsized jet about £2
    Rollers about £7
    Taking the carb off and replacing the jet should take about 15 mins.
    Just take a pic of the carb before so you know where all the tubes go.

Replacing rollers and removing the washer, about 15 minutes also.
    use a variator locking tool or do what I do and thread some CLEAN nylon rope into the cylinder and shock the variator nut off with a big wrench (some people don;t like doing it, but I've done it loads of times and been fine, even with a cheap Taiwanese piston)

And in terms of exhaust, you should probably get a performance one.
    Gianelli's are cheap, they start at around £90 I think, my friend has one on his Zip SP and it sounds great.
    Even cheaper pipes would be Endy, which are £75

Oh and digitally de restricting it; you can buy unrestricted CDI's which aren;t that expensive, which remove the rev limiter from what I'm aware of.
    Although with some CDI's it's just a case of cutting a wire.