Wobbly Wheels Rally | September 2012 | Indian Himalayas

Discussion in 'Meet Ups / Events' started by Unreasonable Journeys, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Unreasonable Journeys

Unreasonable Journeys New Member

The Wobbly Wheels Rally 2012 has started climbing the Himalayan heights. Rain, mud and landslides - 6 days and we have already faced all this. We are tracking the rally's progress on this link. Check it out

Wobbly Wheels Rally 2012 | Live Updates

[​IMG]

2. Unreasonable Journeys

3. Unreasonable Journeys

Heading into the mountains ....
    Wobbly Wheels Rally | Live Updates
    The Kullu Tunnel
    [​IMG]
    That moment when you realize just how insignificant you are in the mountains
    [​IMG]
    The river follows you all the way
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    First attempt to cross Rohtang Pass
    [​IMG]
    Mud and slush everywhere
    [​IMG]
    Yes, this was the surface!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More soon ...

4. Unreasonable Journeys

The first approach to Rohtang Pass was marred by multiple landslides from the recent rains. There was mud everywhere. The road was slippery. The traffic jam was mammoth. Starting at 7 am in the morning, I kept waiting till 3 pm when the road finally opened. It was too late for today.
    [​IMG]
    The biggest surprise waited for me back at Manali. I took the scoot for repairs and the guy made the usual enquiries about what I am doing with a scooter in these areas. Upon learning that I was going to Leh on that in this weather, he simply refused to take any money for the repairs.
    Everyone loves a great adventure!
    [​IMG]
    The next day, I started again. The weather and road surface was no better. But the landslides had been cleared. Just take a look...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    On the other side, things were much better.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next report... The incredible Manali Leh Highway!

5. Unreasonable Journeys

On the other side of Rohtang Pass, the weather was much better. It was bright and sunny and just the right amount of cold. The scooter was doing alright even after the battering received on that godforsaken mountain pass. Keylong was in sight.
    In Keylong, the first bout of health problems cropped up. I had difficulty breathing and blood pressure was fluctuating from time to time. Eventually, I headed to a doctor. He mentioned this is a common problems among bicycle and motorcycle riders in these areas. That didn't help much. Anyway, the next morning I was on the road again.
    The road surface fluctuated between awesome to nightmarish to everything in between. Flat tar roads were interspersed with gravel filled surfaces. I spent two nights in a massive deserted institute out of a horror movie and a tent in the middle of nowhere. The fog lamp fell off. The mirror turned the other way. There was much rattling. But the incredible views of Ladakh more than made up for the pain of riding.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I stayed a day in Leh and decided to visit two of my targets over the next three days.
    Khardung La is considered the highest motorable road in the world. At an elevation of 18380ft/5602m, this is one of the most extreme points of the world. The scoot, however, made it without any whimpering. It did show signs of slowing down and giving up but the little warrior kept going.
    On the downhill journey, the headlight gave up. It was dark. The road was slippery from rain and recent blasting to create a new road. I found a little space in the middle of an army convoy to ensure I can see through the creeping darkness. One lovely ride.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The next stop was Pangong Tso. One of the most fantastically located and largest lakes in the world. Over 140kms in length and straddling two countries, the thing you will never forget about this lake is the colour of the water. Its a shade of blue I have never seen before. It is fantastic.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. UnluckyChris

UnluckyChris Member

Kudos for doing it, not an adventure I would dare to take. And I can't see any of my scooters surviving long in those conditions, they're wobbly enough on British roads. Nice pictures.

7. Unreasonable Journeys

Having gone around Leh for the last one week, I decided to explore new grounds. Leh is a barren, moon-like, high altitude desert. Very little grows here and even the most fantastic views are stark.

In contrast, the Kashmir Valley is as green as they come. Full of chinar trees, flowers of every colour and size and babbling brooks everywhere, Kashmir is the stuff of dreams. However, the chequered past of Kashmir has always prevented too many people from visiting. Though this may sound insensitive, but thanks to the security issues, Kashmir is still largely unspoilt. Things have changed for the better in the last few years. No attacks have been reported in years. Army has slowly withdrawn from the city and has dismantled bunkers. There is still massive presence of the armed forces but the city and the valley is no longer on the tenterhooks.

To get to Kashmir from Ladakh, one crosses Kargil. A town on the crossroads of the old Silk Route from the middle east to China, Kargil is stamped on the map of India after the Kargil War of 1999 with Pakishtan. Barely a stone's throw away from the international border, Dras is probably the most dramatic stop along the way. A massive, well maintained war memorial stands in the middle of nowhere and overlooks the international border. Sign posts declaring "You are under observation by the enemy" ensue that your journey is never boring.

The Journey From Ladakh To Kargil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what happens to the hands inside the gloves after an hour of continuous rain.

[​IMG]

There is so much stuff to be carried along, it is like I am on a honeymoon with my equipment :)

[​IMG]

8. Unreasonable Journeys

Actually, I would say all you need is a teeny weeny push.

A young girl from Finland, Riina, is right now making her way - SOLO - through the same roads on a Bajaj scooter. To top it all, she didn't even know how to ride two months back. All it needs is a little confidence and willingness to push oneself just that little bit extra.

9. Unreasonable Journeys

THE FINAL CHAPTER

Kashmir is a much changed place from even 5 years ago. There is no army in the city and much less visible even in the countryside. The valley is bursting with tourism and things are pretty normal now.

The thing that has not changed is its beauty. Starting from Sonamarg all the way to Banihal, it is picture postcard setting. Head towards Gulmarg and you enter what will feel like the French or Austrian Alps. Head towards the international border and it keeps getting more exotic. Don't expect to see much from the highway, though. The Srinagar - Jammu is one of the busiest highways with a LOT of truck traffic on a road that is not particularly wide.

The journey back from Srinagar to Delhi is one of increasing ease. The twisting mountain roads slowly give way to wide open highways. You enter the green and yellow fields of Punjab growing mustard, wheat and what not. Feel free to stop anywhere and just wander into the fields, have a meal with the farmer (who will very happily share it with you) or freshen up at one of the water pumps. The journey was a little boring given what I had experienced in Ladakh but was made eventful by the name of the event.

Wobbly Wheels Rally finally stood up to its name as the front wheel of my scooter started to wobbly dangerously. I just had to stop after a point. The enitre wheel assembly out, checked and straightened up, it took over a couple of hours for me to be fully satisfied with it. The Vespa has performed amazingly well. Apart from the troubles on Rohtang Pass (which were very many), it has not shown signs of slowing down at all. What a machine!

As I reach home, there is much jubiliation with friends and family. Inside, however, is a different feeling. I don't feel like jumping on the roof shouting, "I did it!". I am strangely calm, the entire experience of having done this is very surreal. Portions of it are flashing in front of my eyes. I tell stories from the trip to everyone. But no one will be able to experience what I experienced unless they are there. I finally understand why people are mad about riding and exploring. I am finally a traveler.

I will be putting up the notification for the 2013 rally soon on this board. Keep your eyes open.

Wobbly Wheels Rally stands up to its name

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shalimar & Nishat Garden at Srinagar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Dal Lake, the beating heart of Srinagar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]