wats the honda nsr 125 like????

Discussion in 'Bike Chat' started by m1ck_t, Jul 8, 2008.

1. m1ck_t

m1ck_t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    alot of shit
    been looking at this nsr today but i don't know much about them has anyone got any experience with them and wat are they generally like with everyday use? don't want an rs because they re just a constant pain in the ass and wouldn't last a minute round my area so any advice people

http://www.gumtree.com/london/60/25899060.html

btw i have spoken to the guy and he is willing to drop a bit on the price of it

done a bit of searching and found tht they are recomended by minor opver any scooter and apparently a polini 153 kit is available alongside arrowand jollymoto aehausts and allsorts of gearing, just want to know if the honda reliability is here as it should

2. m1ck_t

Rides:
    alot of shit
    wat do i look for as bad signs when i go to view it? fork seals, loose chain and worn sprokets or any dodgy noises?

3. Mehmet

Mehmet Active Member

Rides:
    AUDI A3
    you answerd your own question bruv.... Yeah they are suposed to be nice quick bikes.... bEN had 1 before his r6.... try ask him ;)

4. m1ck_t

Rides:
    alot of shit
    yeah lol, admin delete this thread please

5. J-Nitro

J-Nitro Active Member

if its cheap BUY it ffs

you will NOT regret it the bike will do over a ton with a wee bit of tuning, its th only geared bike i would ever touch now apart from the teezerR125

buy the new versions jc20 or RR foeye model, not the old shitty one like i bought

in other words the nsr with an e- start and a PV

lots of power lots or japanese honda reliablity lots of parts - the end.

6. m1ck_t

Rides:
    alot of shit
    the one i'm looking at is a 02 plate foxeye model
    needs a new screen , seat re leathered and a general tidy up, no tax or m.o.t , would you say it's worth 850?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    make sure its done less than 8k.. there DEAD after 12 ish really.. alot of miles if you rag it (and they ALL have been) good ones are exactly that, shit ones are even worse.

deffo good bike to start wiht as honda DO know how to build an engine that lasts

8. J-Nitro

J-Nitro Active Member

exactly ^ thats another major point i forgot to point out

a real 125 2t enthuisist knows what they r all about and similtaunsly knows what to look for

some people say no and pay more than 700 for a bike if its done over 10k as they know they are a tad expensive to service

a couple of guys on 125cc sports bikes forum were telling me how they can spot a ringer and what to pay for a bike after i got raped with my ns125r

a full engine proper rebuild is around £4-5 with a relined barrel so, make sure you do go for a goodun' like youve picked out

but yeh man thats deffo cheap maybe too cheap ive seen nsrs like that fetch in the region of 16 - 1700

they are fast bikes built to be ridden hard and you can throw alot at them so its worth a £4.99 data check on it to see whether shes been involved in an accident as 90% of geared 125s have done

(been in a couple myself :emb: )

so take my word for it check it out properly first no good paying 850 for a bent ringer, check the engine is wat it is and the speedo cable has snapped

check for fairing damage 2 as genuine fairings and some parts are FUCKING expensive. and look at old mots and servie history if it has any

if it is a genuine deal and he wants to get rid of it for some strange reason buy it quick

9. m1ck_t

Rides:
    alot of shit
    well i'm going to see it in a few mins, engine rebuild at 11k and the front fairing is damaged at the top corner of the screen so i suspect it has been droped , will do a check on it now, thanks minor and j-nitro, apreciate the advice boys ;)

10. J-Nitro

J-Nitro Active Member

we used to sell oem spec screens for various bikes wen i worked in a bike shop

replica screens are much cheaper and are good quality only around 20 - 30 max brand new whereas a genuine honda screen .. would cost at least 5 times that

my boss who i worked for in the bike shop knew a guy who charged 8 quid labour to releather a seat and materials will be no more than 25 quid so all in all around £60 worth of work your looking at for the repairs and another £50 for T+T, bear that and that still comes to a total of around 960, still cheap for an 02 plate nsr.

i wouldnt bother with the bore kit to be honest they r fast enough as they are ive thought the same about my kmx 125, just bang a pipe on there and a set of reeds the most

the fuel consumption on my kmx is pretty poor atm (55mpg) so if i go for a meatier setup id probably be getting 20 - 30 mpg which is a bit naff for daily riding

plus your big end and mains will need changing more often which is a bit tricky/expensive on a geared motor, geared 125 are pretty powerful and in return need a bit more attention ,

i remember 2 weeks ago seeing an aprilia rs125 (in a state anyway plastic and general condition wise) the owner had forgot to add oil to his tank my boss charged him £600 to rebuild the motor (top and bottom end) and that was cheap for good work....

when you think of it that way ^ its cheaper to fit reconditioned engines to some cars!!

11. Purplepill

Purplepill Member

Poor fuel consumtion and 55mpg dont go into the same sentance :p

12. m1ck_t

Rides:
    alot of shit
    well i'v done a check on it and it came back as a cat c damaged back in may 2006, the bike has not been back on the road since that, heres the thing, bought it anyway, for 610 it had a engine rebuild at 11k and all the damage is bodywork really besides the wrong front brake lever being installed wich will not pass m.o.t and a faulty rear btake light switch, when it first started it was a touch smokey but that dissapeared in a few minutes, changed the oil,coolant,brake fluids and petrol today and it runs sooooo nicely, going to get a new air filter,spark plug and brake pads all round on saturday and see how it goes, bodywork is really poor in desperate need of front right fairings so if anybody knows of any please let me know, honda are asking for 215 quid :msn1: will post some pics soon and j-nitro i will probably be asking for help from you if you dont mind fella as this really is a steping stone for me

13. m1ck_t

Rides:
    alot of shit
    can someone tell me which model this is?? loads of different ones mc 16,18,21,28, looking to buy a front screen on ebey now just want to know which one i need :emb:

14. J-Nitro

J-Nitro Active Member

i had a slight feeling from somewhere it had some accident damage CAT C is pretty bad too at that means a vehicle cannot be returned to the road unless its had a new frame and a roadworth check from the dvla or some one of that body

chances are its had a new frame the lot, it looks a good job though from the pic so dont worry mic you may have not neccesarily bought a ringer, its probably had good parts installed from another nsr, but for £610 you cant argue tbh you can resell it on for more than that if you tidy it up

bet your glad you did a hpi check now?

fuck new fairings its not worth it, eithier buy very nice second hand ones or repair yours like i said honda will rape you on prices and you would have been ass fucked if it was an aprilia lol (probably would have cost about 800 - 1000 if it was a new rs125 fairing ;))

ive seen plenty of good second hand panels for them fella knocking around on ebay for less than a ton, some mint

the nsr you hav is a proper deal its the electric powervalve, electric start foxeye RR model theres usually 3 flavours of the NSR

1988- 1992 - the ns125 (ns125r and f ) which are the kick start piece of crap things non powervalve which tecnically arnt an nsr on paper, they r wank and i regret every penny i bought my one for thank fuck i just about made my money back

1993 - i think it was late 98ish? they made the gold aluminum frame models as oppposed to the heavy steel ns125 things these come fitted with a powervalve and e-start same engine as your bike

they were the jc20 model nsrs that have fairings around the tank rather than the newer type nsrs like yours have an exposed tank,

98ish onwards - 2003 (last NSR ever sold in 05') honda made the foeye nsr which is your model which came with the silver alu frame revised suspension, brakes etc , its called the NSR RR <--- remember that when speaking to part dealers etc or simply mention "foxeye"

as long as the engine runs ok when warm, brakes are good frame is not bent and forks are good then i would keep it, as they r a top bike mick

15. J-Nitro

J-Nitro Active Member

sorry ignore my bullshit about cat c lecture ^^^^^^^^^^^^

mixed with cat b, thats the bad one

cat c is more damage than the vehicle is worth and insurance cba to pay out i.e write off

check the frame and forks mick if shes had a bump a proper bike techinician will be able to spot a bent frame by eye with a side to side check with the handle bars easy enough.

d/w about the fairings if needs be try a streetfighter approach as they look pretty good without the fairings too (seen one before on ebay which had a cat D )

but i would personally first look for second hand ones if no luck after a few months just SF it

the only advice for your screen mick is look for a foxeye / RR model one should be enough info to find it not sure if theres any other model codes you need to know bud

i think youve been looking at the NSR 250 ones mate

heres a link to an after market one - a bit pricey tho http://www.inter-bike.co.uk/inter-bikes ... name=Honda%NSR125%RR-R1%%(Year%94-03)%Airblade%Clear%Double%Bubble%Screen

also mick theres a really goo bike warehouse near me called mandps

oem screen for a 2002 nsr

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=12494149

16. m1ck_t

Rides:
    alot of shit
    top man j-nitro, yeah i was looking at the 250cc ones but just thought fairings might be the same as they didn't have anything on 125cc ones, yeah as i said pretty much all the damage is body wise besides a wrong brake leaver and a few very minor parts, forks have been replaced as far as i can tell because they are literally mint, s/f was the first thing that popped into my mind but i'd still prefer the original look if possible, found a few fairings that i need but not the most important one, bottom half of the front right hand side is wat i need as it is snapped in half.can't find a rear brake switch anywhere but been told that a vfr or cbr 400-600 will fit nicely. engine runs nice and smooth and revs really nice too,suspension seems good and tires all good too, all fun and games really, i feel 15 again stripping my first ped :rofl:

spoken to dvla yesterday and they told me that the bike has to be repaired and taken for an mot and thats it really to get back on the road, what i was going to do anyway

17. m1ck_t

Rides:
    alot of shit
    got a new brake light switch,spark plug was soooooo loose it's unbelievable but replaced that anyway today as well as the indi relay as that was also bugered,fitted all that but couldn't start it as the bat is dead and i cba to push start it so i'l bang it on charge tomorrow and see how it goes.
    the dust cap has welded itself onto the valve thing so me being me tried to get it off with 2 mold grips, snapped the fucker :rtfm: need to get that sorted asap, also got the brake leaver sorted from ebay and it should be here some time next week, hoping to get her on the road within the next 2-3 weeks :D