Piaggio Typhoon upgrade mod with SR,Runner and NRG parts

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by GeorGE Black Rider, Jul 27, 2016.

1. GeorGE Black Rider

GeorGE Black Rider Member

Now,all i need is the answer to this 3 :

- I need a 30 cm (12") wheel on the back to suit the Hi-Per 2 disc engine (used in TPH,NRG,SR,Runner etc) and i need a wheel to suit the replacement fork.
    What models and years do i find the wheels and fork at so it will fit with no modificatons ?

- Can i set a dual headlight (like old Aprilia SR50) with 1 projector/beam so that both sides to have short and long beam (if i change the bulb and get 2 LED with both beams) and both sides to work on short beam or short+long (lke they do in all 2filament headlight) ? Does it need a loom,bulb or projector modification ?
    Will Aprilia Sr 50's projector headlight fit into the typhoon headlight (or it's place in the masc without protudin outward too much ?)

- Would this newer handlebar masc fit my 1995 Typhoon ?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  2. GeorGE Black Rider

Come on people ... Forum full of experienced and none can be bothered helping me ?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  3. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

If you are using the hyper 2 nrg engine then use the same wheels.
    Same for the forks, use the same wheel
    Headlights are just a matter of seeing if you have the same bulb in each holder.
    If each bulb is the same, then you can create a high and low for each bulb. but if you have different bulbs/holders in each light then you can't do it.
    So far george you have asked a lot of questions, time to see the project me thinks. Pics please;)

4. GeorGE Black Rider

You still didn't answer me :)
    Aren't all Hi-Per 2 the same ?
    Well,i'll use the same wheel for fork and wheel for engine,but WHICH ONE is that ? That's what i ask.
    The engine will fit (as there isn't any difference i know) but which 30cm (12") wheel will fit it ? Runner,NRG,SR ... which ?
    From what i know Runner fork is too short and is the only 30cm scooter wheel i know (Marsh said even NRG MC2 got 32.5 weels).I think runner wheels should also fit other forks (as i've seen runner wheels on manny TPH's on this site).Preferably,both wheels should be from the same model.
    What else 30 cm are there ? Also,what fork will fit straight in ?
    Aprilia SR (one i think about most),like (i think) NRG has 1 projector headlight with 1 projector for each beam like you can see here .So just changing the bulb will do it or is the projector also made for 1 beam ?

I know i have,i am a perfectionist and that also mean i also start working when i have all the pieces,thus,now the scooter is in the same place as it sit for the last 8 years,clutch (front part from the transmisson) missing,the seat eaten by rats and full of dust.Not a preety site.
    As the clutch is missing,i don't know what weights i got in.I only know it had a veeeery good acceleration and went on to 75-80 km/h max maybe you can have a guess what there was.

Mister Merlin promised me some twin projector headlights he doesn't need,but he didn't respond to me for the last 1/1.5 week.

I will start workig on it soon,as God knows i'm sick of walking and depending on the busses.
    Till then,you can see him in the glory days here and if i don't ask much,you can tell me your oppinion about the better color combination untill now.
    All black or black outside and white inside.Now,i'll make it all white with some nice fluorescent design :D

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  5. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    I think it's the attitude & the way you come across George.;)

6. GeorGE Black Rider

Seriously ? We're gonna talk about imaginary problems instead of helping me ?

Well,what attitude ? I've been nothing but polite and respectull with everybody,but people around here either enter 1 time/week or just don't wanna help others,at least not foreigners.
    I've tried to be as explicit i can be,hence the video.

Some acuse me of beeing impatient,but they are impatient,and instead of responding me in 2-3 days and be done with it,they leave 1 comment/week and leave.
    If they come back,mostly,they do it to anounce me they've abandoned the ideea of helping me (MARSH,who has 3 TPH with numerous changes i wanna make).
    If you have time to visit site,you have time to help me,if not here,on a chat (facebook,e-mail etc).
    This lack of seriousness and wish to help is also visible in how you pined topics from 2006-2011,all other beeing buried underneath.

Many,don't even seem to read what i've said.For example,i've subtly asked if there are any difference between Hi-Per 2 engines (as i don't know to be) and the response,is a standard one "If you use NRG engine use NRG wheel" completely ignoring my question regarding the possible differences and the fact i want 30 CM (12") wheels,not 32.5 like on NRG even MC2.
    I've seen numerous topics,all over the forum,old and new,with not even 1 reply.
    What atittude is that ?

Considering forum's "fame" i've been expecting more openness,but i guess not all people are open and warm like Romanians.
    What was i thinking ...

Anyway,i'm waiting to see what happens.If in 2-3 more days not one can be bothered HELPING me,i'll get it like a clue to leave and you'll get rid of me.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  7. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

The forks off any NRG between 2005 and 2008 will fit the typhoon 50.
    The wheel you need is 12" diameter, an NRG or runner wheel from the same year as the forks. But you will need to check the spindle size first to make sure it goes through the fork legs. I have no idea as yet to the size of the spindle but have a look here:
    https://www.ajsutton.co.uk/product/...t wheel axle?gclid=COyz7M7hms4CFUSfGwodg_8NYg
    All the hyper 2 engines will fit as you know, except the engine that was fitted to the gilera Ice due to the rear shock mounting, and angle and length of the rear shock on that scooter.
    I would suggest that you check on the year of the engine you decide to fit before you buy it.
    If it is a 2005/2008 engine, it should have the 12" rear wheel, not the 13".
    I have no idea if the front mask you state will fit your scooter.
    I think you are going to be limited on what you can do with the headlights given the age of the bike. Unless you do some serious body work mods.
    The headlights could be changed for these:
    http://www.pedparts.co.uk/product/729/tnt-piaggio-typhoon-headlight
    but they dont have a high and low beam on them.
    I would suggest that you could use the aftermarket flood beam lights mounted to the front mudguard bolts as the high beam lights. Easily wired in to the same switch on the handlebars.
    These would give you a 60 degree light pattern each side of the bike, plus the normal headlight pattern in the middle.
    After saying all this, before you go buying any forks, take yours out, do your measurements and compare them to any you want to buy BEFORE YOU BUY THEM, just to be sure you are getting what you need.
    Most sellers will gladly give you sizes before you buy.

I don't do facebook or any other social media site so i cant look at your typhoon, but you could always post a photo on here.

NOW, stop throwing your dummy out the pram and wind your neck in.
    Most of us on here have time consuming jobs, family to cater for, social lives outside of this forum.
    We don't live to stay on here all day waiting to answer questions from all and sundry.
    And although some of us appear to be logged in on the forum, that's simply because the computers can be set to automatically log us on whenever we turn our computers on. It doesn't mean that we are actually looking at the site for new stuff.
    We will help. Maybe not as quick as some people would like, and you are not the first to throw a strop about it, but we will help, eventually.

I'm going to bed now, it's been a long hard night at work.

8. GeorGE Black Rider

Now ... that's an answer.Thank You.
    Well,the NRG were made in stages (see here) so since 2005,there is only MC3,wich is kind of advanced from the TPH base of MC1,but if you say it will fit,i belive you.So i understand that runner fork would also fit,i just need the limit years.
    I chose runner wheels because they have more spokes and look better to me.I'll spray them white (as most of the scooter) and posibly different color the margin.
    Do you like the look of them ?

I want a spark plug engine (easier to maintain,repair and no computarization wich i hate profoundly).Aren't all the engines since 2005 fuel injection ? Wikipedia says NRG it released the fuel injection in 2005 and runner in 2003 with no mention if the carburated models remained in production.Does any of the proprieters of this models know ?
    As i intend to mount LED bulbs,i don't need to change the recharger (or whatever is called),do i ?

I don't mind doing some body work,au contraire,that's why i suggested that SR's projector with LEDs video.Are the projector build for low or hight beam and can't be used for the other,or is just the bulb ?
    I thought of using those projectors,because i hope i can mount them in the factory case.
    I also want some to project the light at acceptable distance (at least 15-20m) like this (the first listed here even if that would be long beam and the short beam a little shorter) ,not just 3m like this NRG seem to.Could that NRG's light be so short because of the weak 10W bulbs ?
    That projectors are both on simultaneously but that means,by construction,they have no long beam. My headlamp don't have long either. Would that be a problem in wiring the projectors ?

Flood lights as high beam ? Well,flood like mean spread lights.Besides,i would like to iluminate at least 3-4 m wide the short beam wich i think means more around 120 degree,and when the long beam comes on,the short to stay on.
    My ideea now it to get some projector that can be changed to both have short/long beam,or just short and maybe in the future hide a long one somewhere,but they all seem to be 1/beam and i don't afford to get 2 pair of SR,NRG (if it's the same) etc just to take the short beam projector of each side.

Also,the cost could be lower,if the discused headlight (this tipe) from Mr. Merlin could come,but it seems he wans't on since Monday.
    If any one know him,i would apreciate if you can remind him i wait for his answer.

I am perfectly calm,just dissapointed in the waaaay too unintered attitude around.I didn't say you live to comment here,but you could (even if frmo different persons) give more answer then 1/visit.I don't think that you appeared as visited the site just because you turned on the computer,only if you enter the site and if you enter,what you do if not answer ? Is a discussion place after all.
    My facebook profile is open to view and comment for everyone,but i will post some pictures here from his better days.You can see in the 3rd picture the brake liquid drips and how it eats the paint.

So the mecanic question are :
    - Are runner wheels of 125 engine compatible with 50 cc one ? There are only Runner and NRG 30cm wheels compatible with hi-per 2 engine?
    - Until when the carburated Hi-Per 2 engines were manufactured and until wich year they are the LEAST computerised ?
    - My scooter is AC and no long beam by built.Would it be difficult to add a wire for the termometer and another for the long beam projector (eventually change the button) ?
    - Are there any projector headlight with both long and short beam ? Can they be converted to have long and short beam and function both at once ?
    Are there any pair of projector that even only have short beam but iluminate at a acceptable distance (at lest 15-20m) ?
    - What is the biggest disc i can put on the Hi-Per 2 engine with 30 cm wheels ?

The curiosity questions are :
    - Does it look better with white or black interior plastics.How would it look all white,or white outside and stock plastic inside ?
    - What suits my height (1.92) better the Typhoon or the Bandit :D ?
    - Am i gonna hear anythng from Mr. Merlin :p ?

Scuter 1.jpg Scuter 2.jpg Scuter 3.jpg Scuter 4.jpg Scuter 5.jpg Scuter 6.jpg Scuter 7.jpg Scuter 8.jpg

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  9. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

George, this is just pure impatience.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  10. GeorGE Black Rider

It was just an "up",so the people won't think this thread is sorted or dead :p.
    I thought not to say anything so no1 would think i'm pressuring.
    Damned if you do,damned if you don't ... :confused:
    Fotografs are in,but nothing o_O.

Still ... 4 days and counting :rolleyes: ...

P.S. Does anyone have some projector headlight they don't need anymore and won't mind donating :D ? (as i don't think i'll hear anything from Mr. Merlin)

11. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Are runner wheels of 125 engine compatible with 50 cc one ?
    No. Different gearbox output shaft, can't be changed.
    There are only Runner and NRG 30cm wheels compatible with hi-per 2 engine?
    Yes, but only from the 50cc models.
    Until when the carburated Hi-Per 2 engines were manufactured and until wich year they are the LEAST computerised ?
    No idea, but most carburetted scooter engines are not computer controlled anyway.
    Would it be difficult to add a wire for the termometer and another for the long beam projector (eventually change the button) ?
    Yes, better to use a loom with that facility already built in to it.
    Are there any projector headlight with both long and short beam ? Can they be converted to have long and short beam and function both at once ?
    No idea, it depends on the number of pins on the lamp holders. 3 pins on the holder means it has a high beam facility, 2 pins mean it hasn't, and cannot be converted.
    Are there any pair of projector that even only have short beam but iluminate at a acceptable distance (at lest 15-20m)
    Most scooter headlights are shit to start with. Upgrade the ones you already have to Hid lights with the little converter box, and add 10w cree led lights to the lower fork legs, using to the front mudguard bolts.
    What is the biggest disc i can put on the Hi-Per 2 engine with 30 cm wheels ?
    Stick with the standard size disc on the back or you will need to adapt the caliper mount to suit the oversize disc, which you can't do because of the way it sits inside the rim of the rear wheel. With the front you will need a conversion kit to suit whatever caliper you are using and also the disc size. Both options, for a 50/70cc scooter are way too expensive to even think about for an everyday use bike.
    Does it look better with white or black interior plastics.How would it look all white,or white outside and stock plastic inside ?
    It's a matter of personal choice. If you think it looks ok, run with it.
    What suits my height (1.92) better the Typhoon or the Bandit?
    Go with whatever floats your boat.

12. GeorGE Black Rider

Thank you Stevep.
    That's why i would love to use projector headlights,so i could use LED in the headlamp too.I don't think i'll put extra lights on because their costly and i'm at the limit with the budget anyway.Plus LED lights use less current,thus i don't need to changed the "recharger" (or whatever is called).

But if i use a loom of an SR (i think NRG till MC3 have only short beam) can i adapt it for 2 headlamps for short beam and 2 for long beam (as SR has 1 projector/beam) ?

As for the last 2 questions,i know it's a matter of personal preferance,i just wanted some opinions :p :D .
    I will buy (beside the scooter) a Bandit and Supermoto (when the finance allow it) anyway,but,again,i wanted some opinions as i think i look ridiculous on this size scooter (i'll use it anyway :D ) ...

13. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

14. GeorGE Black Rider

Thank you for the suggestion.I'd search them before when you mentioned them,but the main problems are that they're SPOT light (and I need flood light) and they're too weak.
    I need powerfull lights like this ones (at 6:24 min) with long light in the middle and shorther wider light on the edges.
    As my light is almost non existant (might be worse because i sprayed those evil eyes on it,but i don't think they affect that much) i look to modify it (only use the reclector and housing of it) or change it entirely.
    The ones in the video,are bycicle lights,but as most have external batteries,i think i can modify them to run of the engine light.

Something like this one https://wholesaler.alibaba.com/prod...arts-led-projector-headlight_60228075391.html

About SR loom,i meant,can i "split" (by adding another wire with the original connectors) the wire for short and long beam into 2 so i can connect 2 projector/beam ?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  15. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

You can get flood light cree led's, they have the 60 degree wide beam instead of the spot light beam, 30 degree beam.
    And again I will re-iterate what I already said about the headlights. You can only add a second wire IF both the bulbs are the same, ie they BOTH have 3 terminals.
    If one bulb has 2 terminals and one has 3 terminals you CANNOT make both have high beam at the same time

16. GeorGE Black Rider

I understood what you've said,you didn't.I said if for example,i use 2 pairs of SR projectors (1 for each beam) can i double the wire from the loom to wire the 2 projectors (the one factory build for each beam) for each beam or will it be in comflict with the loom ?

Can there be scooter that have 3 terminals (i'm deducting,meaning that projector/side have both beams) but only have bulb with 1 beam in (as from factory) ?

17. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about the configuration of the lights on the SR's, whether one goes out when the other comes on or they both stay on, i just don't know.
    But yes I see what you mean about using two pairs but just one light out of each set.
    Again it depends on the bulb connections.
    The easiest way to make them both work is to connect terminal to terminal across the back of the light and not chop the loom.

18. GeorGE Black Rider

Well,i put on revealing films,but NO ONE BOTHERS WATCHING THEM ...
    This video proofs they both stay on
    Let me get it straight : 2 terminals mean it have ONLY short beam and 3 terminals means it ONLY has long beam (or both ?)
    As i asked before,is there a difference by construction in the projector/lens aside the terminals ?
    Can i just use the body and lens of the projector (provided they aren't different) and use LED bulbs with both beams ?

You mean connect (with wires,i suppose) the short beam projectors together,long beam together and get just 1 wire (for each beam) connecting to the loom ?
    Could standard stator light them up without droping the brightness provided the lights are 10-15 W LED each ?

19. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you are somewhat of a novice at all this george.
    Your knowledge is very limited given what you are proposing to attempt.
    The headlight conversion is very straight forward.
    3 terminals means that you have both high and low beam. 2 terminals means you only have one beam.
    I've no idea about the construction of the projector lens.
    Yes you can use led's in the there, as i've already told you, loads of runners and nrg's have the led conversion.
    The stator will cope.

20. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

i have LED headlight in my BMW, the standard headlight was very poor, i tried upgrading to a 70/100w bulb and it was still poor, changed to a LED conversion kit and was very impressed, i highly recommend you buy a LED conversion kit for your standard headlight, many many advantages to them!
    a projector lens is essentially just a magnifying glass, so it intensifies the beam of light from a low wattage bulb. the spread of them tends to be a spot instead of a flood, so you can get great distance but not much spread if you follow me?

Stevep likes this.