Sukida Build Thread

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by Matt Townley, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Matt Townley

Matt Townley Member

Rides:
    Sukida Dragonfly 50
    Hi Guys,

Thought I would just share on here what I have done to my moped :D She is a Sukida Dragonfly 50cc (SK50QT-11A) on a 56 plate, 4500 miles.

How I bought her (she was in a state, this was after a good wash with Rhino Goo. the L plate has marked the front orange plastics where it was stored outside for a year with no cover :( )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to follow :)

Cheers,

Matt

------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:

The bike was stripped. To clean the plastics & frame, also to work on the back brakes. (Fitted new cable and shoes to stop the brakes jamming on)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-----------------------------------------------

UPDATE: plastics were all laid out and cleaned with Rhino Goo :D

[​IMG]

Just to find that the same day, we found a guy stripping one. Went and bought everything he had. Ignition (the one in the bike was aftermarket and didn't fit) Left & right clusters & switches (mine were in a bad way). Bought almost all the plastics, apart from the front panels as that is what the bike lost when it got slid down the road :( SO I was stuck with the front orange plastics off mine with the L from the L Plate burnt into the plastics. And a cracked front headlight, and the main black surround on the front section. He also gave us his clocks and speedo surround and the black wind deflector (worse damage than mine but looked so much better) I tried to swap the front part of the clocks (they are carbon covered, my carbon was all faded and half gone) That went well, I smashed the front perspex on the good set :( So stuck with the faded surround. Managed to change the needles over to his that weren't discoloured :D

So much more went on that I wont go into detail on :)

----------------------------------------------

UPDATE: Started to re-assemble the bike as far as the mechanicals go.

[​IMG]

----------------------------------------------

HUGE UPDATE: Before I started to put on the rear plastics we spent around £50-£60 on paint and got cracking :D

Took my forever to mask the bike -___________- did not know where to start.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did prime the engine, but forgot to take pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really couldn't get over how good the engine looked, amazing result using engine enamel. No lacquer needed, what a dream.

Drive casing all rubbed down and ready for primer. Forgot to take pictures of the steps until the finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My dad had a go at etching the logo with wet and dry :D came out quite well, stand out anyway!

Wheels masked, absolute pain in the arse. Took me an hour per wheel (got right down into the bed) Fingers were hanging off after ramming all that newspaper so deep in the rim). Worth spending my time on though.

[​IMG]

Primer:
    [​IMG]

First coats of paint:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last coat of paint, results.. about 5-6 coats we put on :)

[​IMG]

After about 8 coats of lacquer :D Result blew us both away.. they looked amazing, pictures don't do them justice.

[​IMG]

I haven't got any pictures of the rebuild.. had my mate over, long haul from 4pm till 11! Didn't get chance for pictures but we got the panels and wheels back on :D

Results after rebuild (still had a few bits like wheel tapes to put on, took the wheels off for that, so much easier.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

--------------------------------------------

2. Jonnymarrw00t

Jonnymarrw00t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Rather the volvo lol

3. Matt Townley

Matt Townley Member

Rides:
    Sukida Dragonfly 50
    Me too buddy lmao! Not as fun as the moped to ride round though ;) Had a fiesta before, now that was a laugh to drive around the driveway. Volvo is too big, too heavy and too sluggish. Lmao

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

thats a lot of work! wheels look really really nice by the way

5. Matt Townley

Matt Townley Member

Rides:
    Sukida Dragonfly 50
    The painting was done in 1 day. However one or two bits we did re-paint! The bike was probably stripped for about a week by the time the new parts arrived. Thanks buddy