Speedfight 3 125cc

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by JoJo, Mar 7, 2014.

1. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX
    I need some feedback....

Anyone got a Peugeot Speedfight 50cc Bike?
    whether its the 1 2 or 3....
    do you like it?

Anyone have any info about these?
    i've read alot of good reviews regarding the Speedfight 3 50cc, I dont think i've come across a bad review actually :-/ and i've read quite a few.

I know the 125cc came out last month I think it was, I originally wanted the Speedfight not long after passing my CBT 2 years back but they were only 50cc, and now they've released the 125cc, looks the same but obviously a bigger Exhaust etc.

Anyone on here have anything to say about the Speedfights overall?
    any info on the Speedfight 3 in particular.... (50cc obv unless you've bought the new 125)

I got told they're made by Sym in Taiwan and they throw a Peugeot Badge on them, but Peugeot designs them etc..... but still, overall, what you think of them?

Will they be likely to break easily?
    are the parts good or cheap?
    do they perform well?
    do they hit their high speeds easy?

Read the 125's top speed is 65mph,
    same as my Aprilia Bike I got now, my Aprilia takes off at lights pretty fast aswell and picks up speed from then fast... I suppose I wont get any info about the Speedfight with this as I know 50cc's are mostly terrible from setting off from lights etc.

Anyway, any info at all... personal would be better as obv you own one, or if you know anyone with one and know their thoughts on it.

Reason being is that im getting the Speedfight 3 125cc Darkside (black/orange one)
    it'll be for the Summer, obv Summer is the best time for a Scooter I think,
    so still have a few months to get the ££ sorted and so on,
    I wont be doing anything to it performance wise, im not going to mess with it in any way,
    everything will stay standard apart from visual bits and bobs like lever grips, speedfight foot plates with orange mesh underneath, and I might get the black LED back light but that'll be down the line some time.

I dont want stupid replies though, or sarcastic replies,
    i've had 3 Chinese Bikes previously, 1 50cc which was good but too slow in my area with the hills, and then 2 125's which were fast and decent but parts were abit cheap, then got the used Aprilia and it was fine but after time now it just seems to be 1 problem after another, so want to get a brand new Bike which looks decent and obv will have the 2 year warranty on it aswell, and the only Bikes i've seen which I like are the Speedfight 3 Bikes, and now with them releasing the 125... I want one! lol

2. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX
    Not about the 125cc as they were only brought our a few weeks ago...
    i've read alot about the 50cc though and they've been good,
    hopefully the 125 is the same,
    but with it being new there could be alot of trial and error,
    fair enough you have the 2 year warranty but will be a pain getting it to the dealer if things go wrong!

3. Dandruff37

Dandruff37 Active Member

Rides:
    Aprilia SR50 R
    They dont call em speedshites for nothing!
    I had a 2010 plate speedfight 3 50cc and it was terrible!! I dunno where you've read these good reviews but speedfights are notoriously bad.. They are extremely slow compared to other scooters on the market, they are not made by sym in taiwan they are made in china as with the later model speedfight 2's and the build quality is terrible, i owned the bike for roughly 3 months and it cost me 750 in garage bills, problem after problem. I had work done at two different garages and both mechanics were familiar with them and both told me they were awful to work on and terribly built compared to the other top brands. If you are going to buy a brand new scooter please save yourself the trouble and dont get a speedfight.

If your looking for a 125cc sports type scooter which will give you excellent performance as standard, i have two words.. Gilera Runner

scubabiker likes this.
  4. Dandruff37

Dandruff37 Active Member

Rides:
    Aprilia SR50 R
    I must add aswell if the Gilera runner is looked after at will last forever and will hold its value better than than pretty much any scooter on the market

scubabiker likes this.
  5. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX
    £3271+ I havent got,
    rather get a brand new Bike than used aswell atleast i''ll have the 2 years warranty.

Even a used 2009 Runner is nearly 2k and thats with 12k+ miles on it,
    seen a 2006 one on eBay with 17k miles for £1700...
    rather not get a old/used Bike to be honest,
    did that with the Aprilia I got now and its problem after problem with parts worn out etc,
    atleast with my previous 3 brand new Bikes I didnt have to pay anything to fix them if something went wrong,
    was going to keep the Aprilia and pay hundreds to get it all sorted but then i'd still be paying loads to get the respray done etc etc ready for Summer... rather just sell that and get a new Bike with the warranty and go from there.

Theres also a lot of Sites with good reviews about the Speedfights, and alot of personal reviews from owners,
    one being on the MCN website (motorcyclenews.com) with 4-5 stars for all categories, 1 being from the GadgetShow with 5 stars and so on...

Fair enough the 50cc would be slow, the Aerox Bikes i've seen around here are slow as hell aswell...
    theres no reviews about the 125 yet as it was released last month but will be purchasing nearer Summer so will hopefully be some around by then and then I can go from there with it all....
    if they've had problems with them then i'll obviously go with something else, if the reviews and ratings are good then i'll go with that and take it as it comes, it'll have the warranty for any problems so I aint paying anything towards it....

I read on a lot of websites aswell that the Speedfights were given a bad name due to all the Teenagers getting them (the 50cc's) and trying to tune them and make them go faster etc etc etc and basically wrecking them, I also read this on a tuning website.... but we'll see, just thought i'd get some feedback from people on here thats got one as again all the reviews i've seen have been good for the 50's so far.

6. Dandruff37

Dandruff37 Active Member

Rides:
    Aprilia SR50 R
    Take my 0 star review as an ex owner into consideration. And no just because a bike is 50 cc doesnt mean it has no power, aeroxs, runners, SR50s all produce nice power compared to a speedfight, and the fact people tune them doesnt give them bad reviews, they simply dont take well to tuning because of the build quality, something such as an SR50 can easily take a 70cc sport kit and a race pipe on the standard crank, standard carb and with some basic transmission fiddling it can easy produce 9hp over a wide rev range and if ran properly it would last 10000+ miles, the equivelant setup on a speedfight would last maybe 5000 miles maximum. Now that isnt down to the the level of tuning because the SR50 can handle it fine, so it must be down to other factors? I.e overall build quality

scootzmadness likes this.
  7. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    ive actually worked on the new 125cc speedfight and test ridden it.
    and im not telling you this to scare you or anything like that.

it is made in china and is better than the lower end of chinese bikes but it is still rubbish.
    all i was doing was the first service as the lad that owned it didnt want to go to the dealer or something like that to get it serviced. either way im happy to take the money to do it anyway.
    the quality of the bolts are shite. the airbox actually cracked when i removed it to clear the filter out with air line and oil the element up. it cracked, its new and it cracked. then the spark plug. went to change that. and for fucks sake it was pretty much hand tight, how it hadnt been blown out whilst being ridden i dont know!
    the rear brake light switch didnt work properly so i had to sort that for the lad.
    the seat lock is almost impossible to use, theres alot of shove in, wiggle up and down left to right just to get it to open the seat. its useless when i can easily pull the seat up without the key. the wiring loom is something that i was speechless at when i saw. ive done better wiring and im shit at it.

then the ride quality when i test rode it after the first service -
    acceleration - my 50cc 2 stroke accelerates quicker when its sucked in rain water into the carb and thats sloooowww.
    top speed, trust me your never getting anymore than 55mph out of it. the handling was undescribable, it was so bad i have no words for it. its uncomfortable as hell, the suspension is so hard that it may aswell have rigid rear end.

summary - if you want to waste god knows how much on a chinese bike that has had a couple of peugoet stickers added to it at the ports then go ahead. im not stopping you but they are terrible. and no the one i did wasnt just a bad egg out of the batch, speaking to the local bike shop theyre all like that. youve bought a used bike, ofcourse stuff will be worn out, thats the point, dont expect mint working, if you want a good 125cc go to the dealer and buy something used but from the likes of honda or suzuki, you cant really go wrong then and youll still be covered by warranty.

the speedfight lives upto its name the speedshite. and no the speedshite wasnt given that name because teenagers tried to tune them etc it is genuinly because they are shite, id rather grate my teeth up with a cheesegreater right down to my gums than own a speedfight. a bike doesnt go wrong because someone tries to tune it, most are fine tuning wise just the quality of the speedfight is just bad.

dont expect a used bike to be perfect either, it will have issues, you will have to spend. thats a fact of life. just get your aprillia sorted for the few hundred quid and save yourself a load of hassle and heartache when the speedfight goes wrong because i can almost guarentee what i experienced servicing it and test riding it is only the start.

Dandruff37 and scubabiker like this.
  8. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

get a used bike, i work as a mechanic for a peugeot dealer, not worked on the 125 speedshite but the 50cc ones are built pretty bad, like scootz says, on a jap bike the bolt quality is 8.8 or 8 at lowest, on the speedshites its 5 or 6. get a used 2t runner or typhoon or something.

Dandruff37 likes this.
  9. chrisg4u

chrisg4u Member

Get a typhoon! Brilliant bike because I have one. Goes 50 without any mods, just the restrictions taken off. Reliability is good too. There's a lad at college with a shitfight 2 and he's had no end of problems with it and it sounds like a bag of shit

10. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX
    I'd rather a 4 stroke Bike to be honest....
    hassle of mixing, and most sound horrible,
    I dont want a Bike where I have to change Exhausts and Jets etc etc etc,
    I just want a nice looking Bike that doesnt need anything done to it,
    fair enough it can be used but I like with the Aprilia.....
    I got it and all seemed great but now its problem after problem after problem,
    its doing my head in to the point where I dont even want to ride it...
    and fair enough the last 2 Chinese Bikes I got were fast and looked nice,
    but they both had their problems,
    if they released a Aerox 125 then i'd be on it in a flash!!!
    but theres no decent 125 Bikes out,
    and the ones that are are used and grubby or new and look horrible.

11. chrisg4u

chrisg4u Member

Just get a proper geared 125 they'll be what you want. Get a Honda cbr or yzf125. You don't have to change exhausts etc on a scoot. You can just leave them how they are, plenty of people do

12. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX
    Cant do gears lol... need a Automatic,
    what was the Gilera DNA 125 Bikes like, anyone know?

13. scootzmadness

Rides:
    None.
    good bike. responsive. spares are plentifull. rides good.
    get down to your local training place jojo. i used to be shite on clutch and gear, few lessons with your local training place will be worth it. usually £25 a hour or 2 hours for £45. worth learning.

scubabiker likes this.
  14. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX
  15. scootzmadness

Rides:
    None.
    good bikes. its a honda so itll go on forever. rides nice. real comfortable. respectable acceleratiion and top end. parts wise there is stuff out there. pretty simple to work on. only thing i dont like about them is the way the spark plug has to be changed, cant be on centrestand, needs to be on both wheels and leaning against something. but thats not hard to do.

16. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX
    Im actually liking the look of the Hona PCX,
    liking the little bits to it aswell,
    like the idle switch, which turns the engine off when at lights,
    and the little switches to open the seat and fual cap....
    hmmmm might get one.

17. Dandruff37

Dandruff37 Active Member

Rides:
    Aprilia SR50 R
    2 strokes all the way!!
    Ye they need maintaining but they're much more fun..
    I'd personally go for a well looked after 125 runner seems as you cant afford the new one, as I say, they're a classic, good looks, amazing performance and they hold their value, get one, you wont be dissapointed

scubabiker likes this.
  18. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX
    Think i'll go with a Honda PCX....
    even brand new they're £2600 on the road
    or a 2012 one being under £2k,
    only thing with brand new Bikes is that they need the services done quite a few times at the start,
    with my previous Bikes I was paying alot on services as I was clocking the miles up quickly,
    will wait and see anyway,
    will sell my Aprilia and go from there,
    but im liking the look of the Honda ones,
    and the little editions they have to them.

scootzmadness likes this.
  19. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX
    Some REALLY NICE bits for them aswell!

4.jpg DSC01096.jpg DSC01100.jpg 26-33227aa.jpg Cache-Etrier-Frein-Avant-Honda-PCX-BIKERS.JPG DSC01805.jpg

20. scootzmadness

Rides:
    None.
    the Honda pcx is a good looking bike, the white one with red detailing would be nice. shame I cant fit on one lol