Piaggio Zip 50 2T - brake lights and electric start died?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by RobZip, Aug 12, 2012.

1. RobZip

RobZip New Member

Hi All,

First post here, I am really hoping someone can help me!! :)

Basically I have a 2003 Piaggio Zip which has done me well for a couple of years. When we had our heavy spell of rain the other week though it was left out in the rain and when I went to start it with the electric start it turned over for a second and then died. At this point, all the electrics had gone, all lights, indicators, electric start etc...
    Luckily I could kickstart it so I took it home with it running rough as hell, it was as if there was water getting into something and it kept almost stalling and running really rough. I eventually got home and started having a look and it turned out the fuse had gone so I replaced this. First time I put the fuse in I turned the ignition on and it blew it straight away. I put another in and it seems to be ok now EXCEPT for the brake lights and electric start won't work!!! I know this is on a different part of the loom from the rest, but I can't figure out why it's not working. I looked at the Haynes wiring diagram and the only thing it looked like it may have been is the regulator rectifier, but I bought a new one and tried it and still the same problem!!

Does anyone have any ideas what it may be!? I have trawled through all the forums and can't find any answers...

Thanks in advance!

Rob.

2. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Rides:
    EXUP1000
    could be coincidence that the other fuses went at the same time. Check the wiring to see if theres anywhere the water could have got in or where the wires have rubber through to earth

3. 2many2strokes

2many2strokes suck squeeze bang blow thats the way i like to go!

Rides:
    zzr1400
    check your rectifier is not shorted out

4. RobZip

RobZip New Member

Great, will do, silly question but what's the best way?

Oh I forgot to mention as well that I had a volt meter to the wires feeding to the brake lever ie to the brake lights and there is no voltage coming to them...

5. 2many2strokes

2many2strokes suck squeeze bang blow thats the way i like to go!

Rides:
    zzr1400
    My rectifier packed up on my kawasaki and it killed all my electrics but the ignition was great fun riding home at night lol

First you want to have your engine running and measure first the AC input to the recifier make sure your stator is fully functioning.the positive voltmeter terminal goes to input side of recitfier ( marked with a wavy line symbol usually), voltmeter set to AC current and negative from the meter to battery neutral. you should see the reading go up and down as you rev the engine but on idle, the output should be around 12v. then test the out put side of the rectifier set the meter to DC and place the positve lead on the output terminal on the rectifier terminal that goes to your battery. have the negative from the volt meter on your battery neutral. if it is working you should get a steady 12-13v from it no matter how hard your rev. if not it may have blown