Peugeot Speedfight 2 Oil Leak?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Scott_LFC, May 3, 2012.

1. Scott_LFC

Scott_LFC Mucking Fuddle

Rides:
    Lightspeed 2 125cc
    Hi guys,

So as i have my PGO T-REX 50 off the road, i decided to buy a Peugeot Speedfight 2.

In the last couple of days it seems to have developed a 'Oil leak' now im not sure if its been like that for sometime as i only bought it 2 days ago. But when i went to check the bike it was stood and there was no sign of any kind of oil drips / leaks.

It seems to be dripping from the CVT bottom right. There shouldnt be any oil in the CVT case where the Variator + Clutch / Belt are so why am i getting a oil drop from there? Im guessing its coming from somewhere else, and traverling around the CVT cover.

I have also noticed that there seems to be some oil dripping from the underbelly of the bike (Not alot of oil but enough to make a little patch if stood for long enough), without taking all the panels off 1st i thought i would post on here to see if any of you guys would be able to give me any '1st places to look'

I have also noticed the oil only seems to be on the left hand side of the bike (underside) the right hand side panels and engine are all dry and free from oil. So im guessing a oil pump or something is that left hand side?

I have included a video also so you can see the drip, and point out where i mean its coming from.

2. oliwest

oliwest Member

Rides:
    aerox road legal pit
    My nrg started off like that an i though nothing of it an left it for months, found out the oil tube from the oil pump had a split .

Or it could be your gearbox leaking..

3. Scott_LFC

Scott_LFC Mucking Fuddle

Rides:
    Lightspeed 2 125cc
    it feels like 2 stoke oil, and smells like it also so that shouldnt be 'gear oil' should it?

4. oliwest

oliwest Member

Rides:
    aerox road legal pit
    Nah it will be 2/ check your oil pump an your crank seal

5. Scott_LFC

Scott_LFC Mucking Fuddle

Rides:
    Lightspeed 2 125cc
    I will get the panels off as soon as the weather gets better and check the oil hoses from the pump etc

6. Scott_LFC

Scott_LFC Mucking Fuddle

Rides:
    Lightspeed 2 125cc
    I dont think its crank side of things, after looking around it all again its all dry and free from oil around that part it all seems to be on the left hand side underbelly and then travels up that bike pipe you can see from the video?

7. Scott_LFC

Scott_LFC Mucking Fuddle

Rides:
    Lightspeed 2 125cc
    UPDATE

So i just spent a hour taking the seat bucket out, and panels off. The engine is completly free from 2/ oil.

Theres no oil where there shouldnt be oil. So the oil is coming from the middle of the bike, and im guessing after following the pipe from the oil bottle, it goes to what i can only guess is a oil pump?! and then some braided hose comes from that to the carb.

So im guessing thats where the leak is?! anybody else ever had anything like that?

The oil thats dripping from the CVT case is still a little of a mystery, someone said it could be from the gear case behind the clutch. but my rear brake is fine and really sharp and still like new with no slipping at all. So its not that or im guessing not or theres a good chance my back brake would NOT work, and just slip around with the oil.

Theres a replacement oil pump on eBay for pennies so will get one of them, and some clear oil hose so i can see it working i suppose!

If anybody can think of anything else that i am over looking please tell me, as i have only owned the Speedfight for a couple of days now and still getting used to it.

8. kane

kane New Member

ive got the same leaking problem have u found the solution yet?

9. Scott_LFC

Scott_LFC Mucking Fuddle

Rides:
    Lightspeed 2 125cc
    Yep iv solved the leak from under the bike,

If you take the belly pan off you will see a small silver oil pump and mine was a case of the oil pipe not fully on the outlet. so i pushed it on more and tightened the clip and now its not leaking no more. (Well its not dripped oil anyway)

You can get new pipe from eBay and other places dirt cheap and the oil pumps are also about £10 to replace to if that dont stop it just replace it, its cheap enough to do.

My other leak from my CVT casing was the gearbox gasket had gone, it had been replaced before and they had used a 'liquid' gasket to repear it which has since worn away.

So iv got a replacement and that was only £8.

Hope that helps, anything else just ask

Stathis likes this.
  10. kane

kane New Member

ok thanks well ive checked all of that and i done my gasket and changed the ol not to long ago and its still leaking im thinking it might be a crack in the case because the bearing is so tight it there and i changed that i had to hammer the new one back in and i think it may of caused it to crack :( il just clean it up and sell it on soon anyway but thankyou