My Vespa stage6 RT 70cc project

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by tErr0, Jan 20, 2011.

1. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

The time has finally come for me to start a new project! And here it is.

A Vespa ET2 with a race spec short case liquid cooled piaggio engine. Going to be a sleeper with stupid power.

Engine spec will be...

Stage6 RT 70cc kit - Ported
    BGM Evolution 85mm con-rod crankshaft
    Malossi inlet manifold - Modded
    Malossi Variator
    Malossi Kevlar Belt
    Malossi Delta Clutch
    Yasuni C21 - modded
    Stage6 gear-up
    Stage6 V-force reedblock
    25mm carb
    Lightened flywheel
    Electric water pump
    Unlimited CDI
    Short case piaggio engine converted to LC and modded to fit the RT kit.
    Casess flowed
    Pre-mix

Some little bits and bobs might change but that's pretty much it.

I've been gathering bits and bobs for the past year for this bike. Got a nice shell to start with off minor so we banged together a quick mock up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It will have a completely different engine and a nice small rear drum vespa wheel on it. It's going to look mostly stock but with a pretty stupid amount of power.

I'm hoping for around 25bhp when it's all done and dusted. I will do an update soon showing the pretty manky looking set of short cases i'll be using and then soon enough some nice shiney new bits.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some before pics of the set of cases I will be using. They are getting cleaned up, flowed and modded for the large crank and kit then painted up. I've already got one polished/clean engine and this time round i'm going for painted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No they are not black. That is dirt. o_O

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cleaned up the cases ready for case work to be done and then painting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the post man arrived with some shiny new bits!! :D

BGM 44mm stroke 85mm conrod crank, bearings, side stand and a full set of indi's + a clear rear lens.

[​IMG]

More bits should be turning up tomorrow then it's time to get to work. :cool: :cool:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stage6 rt 70cc kit has arrived!!! :D :D :D :D :D This kit is a thing of beauty.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

[​IMG]

Next up it's time for grindy grindy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Started debranding my Yasuni C21 so thought i'd throw some pictures up. It's going to be painted up in matt black vht paint and will be cut and re-welded so it clears the vespa body work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The line drawn here is to show where the cut will be.

[​IMG]

The can should sit sort of like this after.

[​IMG]

It still needs to be cut and welded before I sand it all down and paint it up but this will have to wait until the engine is built and we have test run it.

Finally the time had come to start work on the engine. I'll start by saying I have changed my build plans slightly and gone with a stock stroke crank with an 85mm conrod instead of the 44 stroke crank I was going to go with before. Just thought it made more sense to go for more revs and it will work better with my exhaust this way. This however ment the build was slightly delayed as UPS was fucking about. On with the pictures!

I am mostly going to let the pictures speak for themselves so ask questions!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is how it stands at the moment. Covered in primer ready for some paint. My crank took ages so we didn't get round to fitting the crank or doing any barrel work.

[​IMG]

Just a picture showing the lightened flywheel, Delta clutch and Malossi variator. I've painted up a couple of bits and bobs so I'll do an update with them and showing off the two cranks.

All this wouldn't have been possible without minor confusions dremel artistry! :cheers: :cheers:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Painted up the cases and transmission cover. Next up is to fit the crank and build up the engine. The kit is just on it for looks. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got a few bits through the post so thought i'd throw up some pics. Plus showing the difference between my two cranks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the nuts bolts and screws I could ever need!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minor popped down again so got the engine built up. Couldn't get it started as the loom I've got is old shape and my stator is a new shape one! Grrr I only got the loom a couple of days ago so couldn't plan for this. Might end up going down the route of an aftermarket ignition anyway to unleash the full power of this beast.

Got a load of bits and bobs off mick so we decided to have another mock up. Have to fit a coolant bottle, rad and hoses in there so will take a few tries of mock it up, cut it up, build it again. You really don't want to be cutting and modding things when they are all painted up nice!

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D Loving the look. It's going to look very very stock when finished.

First of yet more packages this week. I can't stop spending money it seems! Got two rads to try now.

[​IMG]

More bits! Plus my wheels and some other bits have gone to the powder coaters. Should get them back next week. Oh and my exhaust has gone to TDR for some mods as well!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even more bits! That oil is about £20 a litre!! I didn't pay that but blimey. Loving the Scooter attack vs Scooter Center sticker battles. LOL

[​IMG]

Some paint and filler.

[​IMG]

Started prepping some more parts ready for paint. The rough trim bits are going to be filler primered and flatted and the mount will be brushed with some strong paint. I'm also going to fill and smooth out the reflector holes and i've already started sanding them down as they stick out as stock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got my pipe back from TDR today. Did a lovely little job modding it. Still not totally sure if it will work till i bolt it on. Got some new tyres too as i needed a rear and I ended up getting them so cheap i bought both.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got my wheels back and a random PM bracket from the powder coaters. Got my tyres fitted too. Transmission cover came out crap so they are redoing it. Put some zinc primer on my engine mount ready for some paint and filled the reflector holes so the panels are now ready for some filler primer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Painted up my exhaust and engine mount!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally got to fit the newly modded exhaust and check it was all good for clearance. Turns out it is perfect. Only problem was that the pipe on the end of the can really needed cutting down to not look weird as crap and not to scrape on the floor. Look's much better now. Managed to sort out the rad as well and I'll be using a SR50 new shape rad and bottle all fits in nicely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stripped the bike down after the last update ready to clean and paint lots of buits and prep the body for paint. This is the before shot of the front swing arm. Also got my transmission cover back from the powder coaters and fitted the spring back in which is a much easier job than people make out!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slightly more interesting update this time. I need some holes in my front panel to get air to my rad so I had to work out the best way to do it without it looking bodge. I didn't want to just start making holes where ever. Note that i've actually got two vespa frames so i'm doing all of this on my mockup one.

First I drew out the general pattern of what I wanted in relation to where the rad is going to be. The square box is kinda where the core or the rad is. When I was finished I measured it all up and jotted it down.

[​IMG]

This is showing the drill bits I will be using. The numbers on them are in MM so I knew I had to make sure the circles were the right size on my template.

[​IMG]

I then slapped together a template in Adobe Illustrator. Means I can design it perfectly sized for printing.

[​IMG]

It took quite a bit of trial and error.

[​IMG]

The pretty much final design/template. I may need to add another couple of holes at the top or at the bottom but that's no biggy.

[​IMG]

Only thing left to do is make another template with dots in the centre of the circles so I can easily drill it and to drill a few test holes in my mockup frame so I can be sure that it wont be completely weakening the front panel. That's one of the considerations I had when spacing out the holes.

Got probably my final delivery today. :bye: Never mind. My shocks were finally in stock so I ordered them quicktime! Pretty much stock replacements but with a bit of adjustment.

[​IMG]

Painted and rebuilt the front suspension. I do like shiny things!

[​IMG]

Right well finally got to work on some of the body work. Bearing in mind it's not had a huge amount of prep on it but I had to give it a quick spray so it wouldn't rust in the places where it was back to metal. Minor did some impressive work removing the indent and frame hook on the belly pan so I can run a pipe under the floor panel in a clean and nice way. I'll get some pictures showing where the pipes run when I've cut the holes for them.

Realised I didn't get a pic of the holes drilled in the mockup bike for the rad so I'll grab a pic of that soon. I've decided to go with holes half the size of what I had mocked up in pictures before so I'm going to be drilling a huge amount of holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The underside pictures are to show that the bike will be fitted with a side stand and a centre stand. I cannot run the stock centre stand with my C21. It's only in first mock up at the moment to make sure it would work next up is to tidy it all up.

Got to drilling some holes in the front panel. As I said before I changed my mind and went with smaller holes. This however means twice the amount of work and adding the fact I've done pretty much all of this on a mock-up frame before hand it's even more work. Note that these are just the rough first size hole I'll be making them bigger and cleaning them up so they look nice.

Oh and it all looks a bit wonky in the first picture but that's just a weird angle with my weird lens.

I also have been working on my inner panel. It's had most of the back cut out of it and I've cut out and removed all the door mechanism and stuck the bastard in with some fibreglass. It still needs one more go with filler and then I need to drill yet more holes in it before prepping for paint. Good few days work just in this panel!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Holes are done! Rad mount is done but I didn't get any pictures. It's just a bit of metal anyway.

Just because I've been dying to see what it looks like I threw the seat on for a quick look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rad and new bottle mounted, inner panel mounted, plus a random picture of some more bolts some of which I needed to mount the inner panel.

After all this I've realised I really should have mounted the bottle on the other side... Hmm. Not a big deal really As I just swap the mount round and cut the inner panel again. I'll wait and see when it comes to running the hoses.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note that the position on the final picture isn't actually 100% correct as that picture was actually taken before I'd finished mounting the bottle fully.

I cut the holes for the water pipes so I thought I'd throw up a picture of where the pipes will run.

I also refurbed the handlebars and built them up so I thought I'd take a picture of that too. I've been doing quite a lot of body work on the vespa and other body parts so there will be an update when i've finished painting them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I finished painting it up so thought I may as well start building it up as my whole house was getting full up with parts. First picture is just a shitty camera phone one then the rest are the next day after a bit more work.

Still lots more too do in terms of the mechanics. Proper engine needs to go in it as well but shouldn't be long now.

Oh and the last picture is just showing off the centre stand. :D I think it may need cutting down a bit however.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update! Right I will now explain why it's been ages since an update. Basically what happened was because the stage6 r/t has to run on 100 octane fuel the plan was to reduce the compression by machining the head so I could run fuel you can actually buy from a pump. The problem with this was I had to give my head away to get this all done.

Generally everything got messed about so I finally just decided to run 100 octane by using 97 and octane booster. It will have more power anyway. The other problem is the plan was to run a standard ignition modded to advance the timing and a lightened flywheel but because it needs quite a big change and it's a bit bodge I'm going to end up buying a full race ignition around christmas time. So I can't run it before then.

Finally here's some pictures of a bit more progress. I still haven't sorted piping it all up because it's a complete pain in the arse. One size fitting here a totally different size there. I hope to get it all worked out and parts bought soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My ignition turned up so I thought i'd throw up a picture of it with my stage6 gauge.

[​IMG]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got the ignition in. Still not done completely as I've got to sort out the wiring as theres a load of it to go in a small amount of place and no mounting points at all on the cdi. o_O Hmmm.

I sorted out a nice little switch for my water pump under my seat next to the battery as well. I forgot to get a pic of it though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  2. m1ck_t

m1ck_t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    alot of shit
    Re: My Vespa stage6 RT 77cc project

About time too .

Got to love a Vespa :good:

3. tErr0

Been over a year in the plans. :confused: Hope to get it done quickly though. At least to a proper running stage before I clean up and tinker with all the suspension, brakes etc.

4. bait

bait Active Member

finaly a good project and i started collectin bits for a bandit 6 so i feel your pain on how long it takes to get the bits you want for the right price

5. tErr0

It's just the choice you make. Plan for ages and slowly collect bits at cheaper prices or spend a shed load and get it done quickly.

Lots of shiny bits should be turning up in the next week. Just done a scooter-attack and scooter center order. ;)

6. nrgandy

nrgandy New Member

your mad terro but this should be one insane lil scoot. take it it will be road legal too?

Caseysimmsx likes this.
  7. tErr0

Yeah completely road legal. It's going to look pretty much stock as well. Less shiny bits than my typhoon.

8. Gilly Boi Mike 70

Gilly Boi Mike 70 New Member

brilliant project :)

9. bertie

bertie Active Member

Rides:
    '93 Skipper LX125

That actually looks pretty good with the big rear wheel and would be even better with a jack up kit but I doubt it'll handle too well lol

10. robhall123

robhall123 New Member

isnt that an sr engine ? seen the exact engine on a different project

11. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster

engine is a sort of donor.... freshly built for the sr, bought the entire bike for the pipe/transmission bits... its only in as a mock up while the proper cases have some monstification doing :D

12. tErr0

Minor said it all! I was going to use a few other bits off the engine but it turned out with my choice of kit I would need a new crank and more work on the cases anyway.

Update!!

13. robhall123

robhall123 New Member

looks caked in shit :D lol my case was quite dirty when i got it but about an hours sanding and it was ready to be primed

14. tErr0

Update!

15. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster

yay :D new toys

16. bait

bait Active Member

whos doing the cases and barrel you or you getting minor on the job

17. tErr0

Getting minor on the job as he's the best there is! He's salivating at the idea of working on that kit too.

I'll be locking him in my basement and turning him into my port troll so i'll get pics of all the work.

18. tErr0

Update!

19. nrgandy

nrgandy New Member

lol minor is going to love doing this as i know he loves his 70cc's doubt theres anyone better in the country to build this tbh

20. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster

deffo cant wait for this one...shouldbe the most interesting thing ive built in a lil while thats for sure. as for the basement, never bothers me terro, jus keep the coffee flowin, the tunes loud and get the fuck out my way when its smoke time :D