Help on what to choose

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by kotsios83, Jun 16, 2016.

1. kotsios83

kotsios83 New Member

Hi all,

I currently own a big bike (2008 Yamaha FZ6 s2) and a Peugeot speedfight 3 50cc scooter.
    I am looking to change the scooter as i want something bigger. i want a scooter that will allow me to have nice relaxed trips, able to handle highway speed (110-130 km/h) and mountain roads. I narrowed my options to:
    Honda nss (forza) 300cc abs and
    Sym GTS 300i F4 ABS.

on price view the Honda is 400 euro more expensive, on the other hand the sym has like 3 or 4 hp more. haven`t had any experience with Sym so i don`t know if they are reliable as i don`t wanna have same problems i currently have with peugeot(don`t want to even start the list of problems).

What do you recommend for buying. Bare in mind that money is a factor so i am about the Honda and sym models specified price range.
    Also keep in mind that i am 1.74cm and i weight 95kg (and planning of sometimes ride with another person)

2. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    Ive had the forza 300. Never again. So many electrical and gearbox issues its not worth it.
    SYM are fairly reliable when maintained, Well made and will do the job. The GTS has been around long enough now to present its common issues and there arent many apart from the headlight bulb blowing after around 6 months and The original brake pads not being the best. Easy and cheap fixes.

3. kotsios83

kotsios83 New Member

After a lot of research, i went and test both scooters. I decided and got the Honda Forza, that combined abs system gives me more safety. Time will show if i did the right choice.

4. thosoneill

thosoneill Active Member

Rides:
    Honda sh300i
    A sensible choice my friend - though I can vouch for the Sym brand having previously owned a 300 model - enjoy your new scooter and replace the oil/filter/sparkplug/air filter on a frequent basis

5. Omega

Omega Member

I got myself brand new Honda Forza 300 two and half weeks ago. It has 2654 miles on the clock - travelled from South to Edinburgh, twice to Newcastle. Definitely can ride 70 mph (circa 110 km/hour) and higher. I have tall Honda windscreen, but thinking to change to Givi because Honda screen does not protect from wind when I ride at night (I get much more noise when air is colder). Also thinking to add storage box, any suggestions on size? My scenario - get to London to a tube station (can be in winter too), put my clothes (trousers, jacket, heating kit) and boots) into top box and under the seat (helmet and gloves). Any suggestions? Thank you

6. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Windscreens are a matter of opinion. The slightly wider ones are better for rain/wind protection, than having a taller one.
    Then take into account that a taller screen can give some stability problems at higher speeds; the bars can wobble a bit.
    I have a tall screen on my GTR1400 and at high speeds it's a pig at full height.
    Causes the front end to feel unstable, even though it isn't, because of the more upright nature of it in the raised position, and the vortex that it creates right at the drivers back. And it sucks you in towards the dash which is a little strange to say the least. Then you get the screen wobbling as well with the blast which can take your eyes off the road because you think the screen might crack due to the lack of higher support.
    But the longed for clean air effect that it gives is great. I could speak to other riders on the bike to bike intercom without them hearing a load of wind blast. Even at "humph" mph.
    I found that at higher speeds, the taller screen had to be in the lower position to have a more stable feel to it, and it cleared the visor great of any water.
    As for having a top box, if you are wanting to put all that gear in there, you will need the 55 litre top box. Another big bugger that could cause a fishtail wobble at higher speeds.
    A lot of bikes seem to get that effect when they add a top box, noteably the Pan European ST1100/ST1300. For anybody who has ridden one, at speeds around 85mph, the front end starts to fishtail, and you can see the lower fork legs start to wobble if you look down the fairing tunnel. Most disconcerting.
    Then on the flip side, there are bikes for which none of this happens.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  7. Omega

Omega Member

Thanks, got myself Givi box and special screen. Now I am after phone holder - because I am doing so many miles, I really need one. I guess I will be changing my iPhone to newer version this autumn, but nobody knows what it will be and what dimensions it will have. At the moment, the battery on my iPhone is rubbish, so I use with with a charger and need quite a large GPS/phone holder. Which one would you recommend? I would not want to lose my phone while driving on a motorway
    Thanks

8. thosoneill

thosoneill Active Member

Rides:
    Honda sh300i
  9. Omega

Omega Member

Unfortunately, my phone won't fit - too thick because of wallet behind... And is there an option that is more waterproof? I'm currently thinking about GPS bag from Givi which can accomodate any thickness device, plus weather protection
    Thanks

10. Omega

Omega Member

Thank you for these. I guess I will start a new thread