Gilera Ice Project Mayhem

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by upmonkey, Feb 2, 2011.

1. upmonkey

upmonkey Member

Hello my name is James and along with 2 friends have purchased a Gilera Ice to build into a race bike to compete in the moped mayhem and to have a bit of fun with on kart tracks. After spending a while looking on ebay we had the best bid on a gilera ice that was a bit worse for wear, but as we weren't interested in riding it on the road and we were going to rebuild the engine any way it was perfect for our needs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

First thing we did was to strip the whole bike down and begin to clean every thing up.
    Found this when i removed the air box.
    [​IMG]

God knows how slow it must have been with that restricting it. :)
    Pulled the head off and found the piston was slightly past its best.
    [​IMG]

The plan is to clean it up, paint the frame forks and engine matt black for the stealth look, and keep the orange wheel and shock. Minimal body work and all brackets not used will be chopped off. It will run a stripped down electrical system, just enough for the ignition side of things and a kill switch.
    Engine wise the spec is still subject to change but it has to be 50cc and be able to last 2 1.5 hour races withoutblowing up. Been ordering a few bits already, a nice little parcel arrived the other day with a stage 6 50cc aluminium cylinder kit with single ring piston.
    [​IMG]
    Got a set a race spec fibre caged main bearings to fit aswell.

I scrubbed and cleaned the transmission cover gave it a good sanding to key the suface up and then gave it a good coat of etch primer, which as the name suggests etches its way onto the surface of the metal being painted. It was then painted matt black.
    [​IMG]

Thats about it for now but there should be up dates very soon as work progresses.

2. co77l3y

co77l3y Member

Rides:
    Gilera DNA 50
    Re: Gilera Ice Moped Mayhem Project

nice james, cant wait to see the build and the videos if you put any up when racing :p

3. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

Looks like good fun to me! I hope you're planning on completely rebuilding the engine. Will need a new crank for sure.

4. upmonkey

upmonkey Member

Thanks for your comments guys. A new crank is indeed planned, was goning to go full circle but not sure which one to go for, sort of got my eyes on a pm tuning one but still have some home work to do before ordering.
    Bit more progress today, got the frame stripped of the surplus brackets and given a quick lick of paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last pic was taken whilst the paint was still wet so looks a bit stripey but has dryed to a nice matt black stealth finish. I know alot of modified Ices have the lower bar removed but we are gonna try it with a foot plate first and see if we like it before chopping it off. I think it will go in the bin in the end and we will go with some motox pegs.

Because its not going back on the road I have striped the surplus electrics off the bike. I was quite amazed how much was able to lose and how little is needed to run the bike.
    Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    In theory it should just plug into the stator, connect an earth, pop on the ht lead to the plug, kill switch and the engine should run. (fingers crossed)

The paint on the engine cases had also dryed so I installed the fibre caged race spec main bearings. This was made alot easier by leaving the bearings in the freezer over night, to shrink them slightly, and leaving the cases to be heated up in front of a fan heater for an hour or so, to slightly expand them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You will have to excuse the over spray on the inside of the cases, this will be cleaned off before the final build.

Thats about it for progress today but things are moving pretty fast so stay tuned.

5. Surferdude

Surferdude Member

Rides:
    Area 51 50cc w/c
    Gilera Ice Moped Mayhem Project

This thread alone has me wanting an ice to tool about on!
    Keep. My 51 for weekdays and an ice for the weekends!

6. upmonkey

upmonkey Member

Just had a parcel delivered containing an essential cosmetic part of the bike build. A staple gun and half hour resulted in a nice a tastefully recovered seat in keeping with the colour scheme of the rest of the bike. :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. yellasei

yellasei Member

Rides:
    125 typhoon

haha, lovin the seat cover :)

8. Surferdude

Surferdude Member

Rides:
    Area 51 50cc w/c
    Gilera Ice Moped Mayhem Project

What glue did you use? I've got some leather to do mine, but no idea what glue is best.

9. upmonkey

upmonkey Member

I didn't use any glue just a good staple gun and stretched it over the seat and stapled it up on the under side of the seat in loads of places. It took a couple of attempts to get right but covered well in the end. I found it best to start at the front and work my way back stapling in key places first as I went along. Once I was happy with the fit of it I just went back over the cover and put loads more staples in. I will see how it goes but I might have to glue it in place, if I do the thing for the job is spray contact adhesive usually available from most good motor factors. I think leather would probably be a bit harder to cover without wrinkles in the front part, I think it would probably need cutting and stitching to shape.

Had a bit of material spare but the dog has taken a shine to it and put it in her bed.
    [​IMG]

10. nathan93

nathan93 Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    Gilera Ice

looking good
    you dont by any chance have the speedo and drive spare do you?
    this has made me really want to get my arse into gear and do mine but it'll have to wait for funds :(

11. nathan93

nathan93 Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    Gilera Ice

ohyh keep the footboard you know its the right thing to do :D

12. m1ck_t

m1ck_t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    alot of shit

So i know you said it must remain a 50cc , is porting and flowing barrel and cases not allowed then ?

13. upmonkey

upmonkey Member

About the only rules on the engine are it must be 50cc or less and be 94db or less of noise from the exhaust. Gonna have a go at matching flowing the cases but don't think I will be doing any porting of the barrel to begin with, probably just a little polish up.

Not much progress to report today cos I was helping a mate paint his van, but fitted the seat to the frame just to get bit of an idea what its gonna look like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got to take a little trip tomorrow and pick up a spare engine for the bike, which will donate its stator, kick start and rear hugger to the project. the rest of the engine will be used as a spare for the race weekend incase the worst happens to the first engine.

14. co77l3y

co77l3y Member

Rides:
    Gilera DNA 50

nice progress so far james, keep us updated really nice little project.

15. tigger87peds

tigger87peds Member

Rides:
    My Misses,

nice job mate giving me a idea to get my hands on a second ped to customize

16. sammyboi

sammyboi New Member

Rides:
    gilera runner

how do i get involved in this, to late this year but would deffo be intrested next year

17. upmonkey

upmonkey Member

Bit of an update. After looking at the new cylinder on the cases it was obvious the cases would benefit from being matched to the transfers on the cylinder as there was a massive step where the 2 meet. I've played around with porting a series mini heads in the past but this was new to me. Having asked on this forum about matching the two up I was kindly directed to an excellent post by Terro which pointed me in the right general direction.
    http://www.scootershack.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6726

We have also acquired another engine so I have got nothing to lose if I fuck it up, so I decided to give it a go. I firstly covered the back of the cases with chemical metal, having cleaned the paint off, behind the areas being ground in cases they broke through, but don't think its really gonna be needed as i'm not going too mad with the metal removal, but better safe than sorry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I marked up the cases where they needed to be cut to match the transfers and got the die grinder out. Only had time to do one side today and its only roughly shaped at the moment but will be cleaned up once im happy with the general shape on both halves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This pic is a bit crap but shows the difference between the edges of the case where it meets the transfers on the cylinder. The one on the right is standard and the left half is matched to the shape and size of the cylinder. Will try and get a better pic tomorrow.

[​IMG]

If any one in the know could let me know if i'm going in the right direction please let me know. As I said this is my first try but if you don't try you will never achieve anything. Any guidance would be gratefully received.

As for getting involved Sammy we just applied via this web page http://www.thebmfshow.co.uk/newsitem.asp?action=06_01_2011 17_51_55

18. tErr0

Looking good so far but this picture will show you were you could do a lot more.

[​IMG]

Oh and that line you can kind of see in the cases is where you shouldn't be grinding above.

It's a shame that you are doing this now as in about a week I should be putting up a load of pics of the build process of my engine!

19. upmonkey

upmonkey Member

Hi Terro. By the line do you mean where the bottom of the stud is or the black casting line near where the reed block sits? And why shouldn't you grind that far? Sorry for loads of questions but you are proving very helpful with this and seem to know hat your on about, thanks for your help. Can't wait to see the pics of your engine build. :)

20. tErr0

[​IMG]

The arrow on the right points to a line that was drawn on for guidance. It's just that if you remove material from above that line it is totally pointless as you are just removing material for no gains.

The arrow on the left is just pointing you towards the amount of material that has been removed to aid the flow from the reed area. Your's could go a lot deeper and wider